Monday, September 2, 2013

Eleazar and The Bad Day Anthems

Ok...I'm just going to go ahead and Dave Barry it...that sounds like a great name for a rock band ;)

Seriously though. I keep wanting to dive into blogging about everything that we have been through in the past 18 months. Yeah, can you believe its been 18 months??? I want to start back at the beginning at Walter Reed but it kind of hurts to do that because of what we are going through now. We're exhausted, tired of struggling to get what he needs, and some other things I can't even post about yet. But the bottom line is we have had to fight tooth and nail for many of the things that G.I. Joe needs. Things that should have been guaranteed. We were warned from day 1 that I would have to be his advocate and fight for things. For the service member to do it its more complicated since they are still serving under a chain of command.

From day 1 though G.I. Joe and I also had a game plan....

We would NEVER stop at what we need. If we saw something that affected other wounded warriors we would seek to advocate for them and speak for the voiceless. That can be exhausting and frustrating. It can wear you down quickly but we have to press on. For our family and for everyone else, we can't give up. To just stop and accept that we can't affect change in certain areas makes so much of our own struggles on the road to recovery just seem pointless.

My heart aches to make things easier for G.I. Joe. And for every other wounded warrior coming after us. We want them to be spared some of the unnecessary things.

When I need a pick me up my heart whispers the name Eleazar. Weird, huh? Haha. So in college I went to school for Biblical studies. I cannot believe in all that study that I managed to look past this warrior. But God knew when I really needed to be struck by him. This summer one of our pastors shared the story of King David's sidekick, Eleazar. The entire Israelite Army had retreated at the sight of their mighty enemy. Except Eleazar. Here's what happened:

but Eleazar stood his ground
and struck down the Philistines
till his hand grew tired and froze to the sword.
The LORD brought about a great victory that day.
The troops returned to Eleazar, but only to strip the dead.
2 Samuel 23:10
 
Everyone has bad days or moments of doubt in their own strength. But for me I really believe God gives us what we need when we need it. Somehow when I think I can't do one more late night, or one more forced smile to convince G.I. Joe that I'm slaying whatever giant is in his way I realize that maybe I can keep going. My hand is froze to the sword. And for me, that sword is my voice. Its hours of phone interviews to educate any willing ears as to what wounded warrior families need. Its emails to the Pentagon. Its repeating "Don't worry, I'll take care of this" when I truly don't know what on earth I'm going to do yet to fix the latest break. Even if no one else stands with me in battle, I know the One who does.

And here are a few of my favorite "Bad Day Anthems" that I play on repeat to psych myself up when I need an internal pep rally :) Turn them up on a day when you need a little extra boost to slay your giants.


 Ps...when G.I. Joe has a rough day I usually drop everything and rap "Hall of Fame" to him. This  makes him realize he has bigger issues than whatever was previously bothering him ;)

No comments: