Sunday, January 13, 2013

NYE: Rushing out of another hospital

So our New Year's was quite eventful. Tag gave us a huge scare so irony of all ironies we spent the last few days of 2012 in yet another hospital.

It started with an occasional fever that would rise, and then fall. He seemed to be in a lot of pain while eating but we thought it was gas. Or teething. We tried different things to help these issues and nothing worked. So the Friday before New Year's Eve his fever went up over 102. We have to watch out for seizures so I started worrying. It came down though so we thought the worst was over. Then Saturday it shot up to 105 and came with bloody dirty diapers.

Okay now we were freaking out. We went to one ER and it was there that his fever spiked to the 105 mark and they realized we needed to transfer to a bigger hospital and be admitted. We watched them hook our little guy up to tubes and after a while he quit fighting people because he was so weak. He had a steady flow of IV fluids and anitbiotics. At the first hospital he had blood work, IV's and x-rays. His blood work showed an extremely high white blood cell count. Honestly we were thinking the worst. After x-rays and an ultrasound at the second hospital showed no tumors or swelling they ruled out our worst fears. Its assumed that he had an infection in his colon. We aren't sure what it was or how he got it.

For the next few days Tag and I weren't allowed to leave his hospital room. He stayed on IV's for a good bit of the time. Lots of cultures were run. Once his fever came down and stayed down on its own, and once he was able to eat on his own again we were able to leave. But I will never forget spending hour after hour holding Tag while he was connected to that IV. Its a whole different experience when you are staying in a hospital for your kid and not an adult in your life. My heart just broke for him. We're so blessed whatever he had he was able to recover from. We made it home a few hours before midnight on New Year's Eve!

Lots of great things are happening in the G.I. Joe house! Tag is doing much better now and next month we'll be having a party to celebrate his first birthday and G.I. Joe's 1 year Alive Day. I'm so excited to have our friends and family over to celebrate my boys. And all the details will be coming soon on this but....

The SCC approved the organization of my company, The General's Kids!!!!!!

I still have to get approved for my 501.3 non profit tax exempt status but in a month or so we'll be up and running and able to bless lots of military kids living at hospitals around the country with parents who are wounded, ill or injured. I'm going to post about that this week and share all the details and goals we have. Things haven't gone "smoothly" for us on this journey but we're content to go through it because it means we can help someone else.

I know my last few posts have been really lengthy and wordy :P Thanks for reading! More pics and less words in the future, I promise ;) Things just always seem so crazy in our house. But I wouldn't trade it.

~Mrs. G.I. Joe


Waiting to be transferred. Completely miserable.

Couple days of IV fluids and meds makes a HUGE difference!

Let's go home! I wanna see my Lulu!!!

2 comments:

Mrs. Yellow Ribbon said...

What a great idea, to celebrate his 1 year alive day! Partayyyyy

JG said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad he recovered. That sounds terrifying.