Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ode to Innocence


I've been spending every moment I can spare lately working on stuff to get The General's Kids ready. Oh, did I mention that's the name of my new non-profit to benefit wounded warrior kids? :) Yeah, I'm over the moon about it! Its grown so much in scope since I first had the idea while watching Lucy, and other kids, struggle to adjust to hospital life at Walter Reed. I can't wait to post more about it but in the mean time you can check out the skeleton website here. Our official logos will be coming soon and the whole organization will have its "grand opening" of sorts on February 19th, 2013!!!

Wait, Mrs. G.I. Joe...that makes no sense. Don't you mean February 20th? Isn't that THE day? 

Weird, right?!

Actually, its perfect. The reason why I picked it is because of innocence.

The General's Kids is for the little warriors.

And my little warriors went to sleep on February 19th truly clueless about the evils of the world. That day was the last day that Lucy thought we only miss Daddy when he's gone. The next morning was a harsh reality lesson that should have come later in life: when Daddy is gone we miss him...and he's in very real danger.

February 19th was still a bubble. Even for me.

So every year on February 19th, instead of focusing on how unfair it is that innocence is often lost to tragedy, we will celebrate the lives that we are able to help through The General's Kids. And the day after that we'll continue celebrating the blessing that each breath is.

For now I'm going to leave you with some pictures that I took over the past year. I'm way over due on some picture posts :P


Empty bed on discharge day...best sight ever!!!

Walter Reed



Lucy's first day of "Walter Reed preschool" Haha she liked it for about one hot minute.


G.I. Joe's always wanted to go to Ranger school and have that tab. So I believe his First SGT (maybe, don't quote me) took off his patch and gave it to him while he was standing by G.I. Joe's bed in the field hospital. But we're shaky on those details. Its special though, without a doubt.

Fisher House life.



Another favorite past time...cheering on her Nationals!!!

Her welcome home present :)

"Disney Baby" is happy to return to his starting place :P

Where dreams come true and the good guys always win.

6 comments:

Kathryn B said...

Beautiful pictures! Glad your nonprofit is starting to get off the ground! It is awesome what you are doing, I think people sometimes forget the little people that suffer when those around them are injured.

JG said...

Love all the pictures - but your forgot to give us a caption for you in your fabulous dress. Details!!

LTarmywife said...

What great photos! I'm excited for the debut of The General's Kids — it sounds like a fantastic program. It's difficult enough for adults to adjust to hospital time, but even tougher for the little ones.

I write for a military resource called MilitaryOneClick and would love to give out information about your foundation when the program launches! You can email me at SarahLPeachey@gmail.com if you're interested.

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Ah yes, that's true I haven't posted about that first ball we went to at Walter Reed! Details to come :)

And thank you so much, Sarah! I will definitely get in touch with you!!

Kim said...

Love the reason for February 19th. Great pictures!

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Just found your blog, and I love it! What a strong family! Good luck with your non-profit. I can't wait to hear more about it! And thank you to your husband, you, and your kids for all of your service!