Wednesday, June 20, 2012

We're still here...

Hello Walter Reed!

 Haha so apparently "a few weeks" here translates to 4 whole months!

Our schedules have been crazy busy and we have so much to catch up on with you guys. I have loads of stories and pictures to share. I just can't begin to describe what a life changing experience it has been living here.

We should be moving back home next month where G.I. Joe will go through another year of rehabilitation.

Tag is nearly 5 months old now, teething up a storm, sitting up, saying "Mmmmomma!" when he wants me and just brightening the lives of everyone here at Walter Reed.

Lucy is amazing. She charms everyone she meets and gets the soldiers who work for the Warrior Transition Unit to race her around the office and play peek-a-boo. She has been very vocal about her feelings and we have had her evaluated by a couple of child psychologists. Every time they say they are amazed by how mature she is and how well she expresses her feelings. We're super proud!

I'm happy to be going home but the people who are hospitalized here and their families have really captured my heart. This summer I'll be putting in the paper work to set up a non-profit organization to benefit the children and teens living here at Walter Reed, and eventually expand to other large military medical centers.

There are many frustrating moments and lots of ups and downs but over all we are choosing to be thankful for all the blessings this has brought us. We have a new found appreciation for life and want to seize every opportunity to live life to its fullest.

Now I know I've left out a ton. But once we move back home I'll have internet that works (lol one of my biggest gripes here but totally not that important) and I'll be able to post more.

Thank you all so much for your continued support and prayers! They mean the world to us, especially as we get ready to take a big step in going home to a very new normal for us.

Smiling before his Purple Heart ceremony.

4 Months ago today.

Endless possibilities for the future. I love you, soldier.

10 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Call me up once you get home. We can have lunch, and the girls can have a play date.

Amber said...

I was just wondering how you all were doing, thank you for the update. Continued prayers for your family.

Mel said...

So happy that you and your family are doing well. And proud of you for always finding the positive things to look at in hard times - you are a wonderful example for young milsos!

Stephanie said...

Was just thinking about you yesterday. Our family's prayers are with yours. Glad to hear that the healing process is moving along. Can't wait to see pictures of the kids.

Vintage Love and Photographs said...

I'm glad to see you posted again..I hope for your Soldier a speedy recovery.

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

I am proud of you for helping others. Walter Reed will inspire you in that way. I hope you all get home soon. We lived there a year and then traveled back and forth for a total of 20 months. I feels great to be home. Enjoy it!

Jen said...

So glad to see you back! Still keep you and your family in my prayers.

Mrs. K said...

I'm so happy to see this update and hear that you're family is thriving. Continued prayers from your blogging community!

kaylee said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, will be keeping you guys in my prayers xo

trooppetrie said...

oh I am so glad you updated, No idea how missed it. I have been checking in. praying and cannot wait to hear details