Monday, February 20, 2012

"Your husband was in an accident..."

So much has happened since I took my little pre-baby blogging break.

First I will say that I did the full bedrest thing and Disney Baby stayed put until 38 weeks!!!! That was a huge blessing and we are thankful he was born healthy. There were concerns because I was GBS positive and labor very fast but I will share his birth story later this week.

When the baby was born the Red Cross tracked down G.I.Joe and he was able to talk to us on the phone for a little. That was on February 9th. Since then I had gotten a couple emails from him but no phone calls. They were trying to figure out when they could spare him so that he could come home on leave and meet his son. Last night at 11:30 I got an email from him and honestly I can't even remember now if I responded to it or not.

This morning my Mom took Lucy downstairs for me and Disney Baby and I were just laying in bed getting a little more sleep. The ringing phone woke me up and I almost didn't answer it since I didn't know the number. Then I realized it could be G.I. Joe so I picked up. The woman on the other end asked if I was the wife and I said yes. She then led with "I'm calling from ______________ to inform you your husband has been in an accident." Immediately tears started pouring and my heart rate sky rocketted. Finally she explained he was okay, they were just waking him up and that I could talk to him. Apparently he was really close to a mortar that went off or hit a building or something. I'm still fuzzy on a lot of details because it was a shock and when we were on the phone I didn't think to ask much besides "Oh my God, are you okay???" All I could do was keep looking down at the sleeping boy next to me that he hadn't been able to meet yet.

His jaw/face and leg were injured but one of the medics taking care of him talked to me also and said he is expected to make a full recovery. He's being sent home very soon so that he can heal in a clean, comfy place. After that I'm assuming if everything does heal normally he will head back over there. I'm just so thankful he is okay but still very shook up. It could have been so much worse and there was a point where I didn't know if he was alright and it just crushed my heart. That was the scariest moment of my life. I can't even describe what it felt like to hear that news and then to hear his voice again. I cannot wait to get him home and in my arms again. Today was also his birthday! We will have MUCH to celebrate when he gets back.

I had to tell Lucy tonight that Daddy got some "boo boos" while he was working so he is going to come home and rest a while to get better. She said that made her really sad but she is excited to cheer him up and make him feel better.

I never want to relive another day like today again. But it has really made me so grateful and given me a new found perspective on life. I will post pictures and all about Disney Baby's birth soon. But here are a few pics from right after he was born...





Photobucket

30 comments:

Whitney @ Everything Happens For a Reason said...

I was just thinking about you the other day...

I'm sorry your husband got into an accident. I'm so glad that he is okay!


I know this may be a weird question to leave here on this post... I remember that you were writing a book. I was wondering if you got that published or not.

Jen said...

So glad you hubby is ok!

Disney baby is precious! :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm glad that he's ok!

Mrs. Yellow Ribbon said...

That second photo is sooo precious! I am so glad your man is okay...those are words a wife never wants to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your reunited family soon :-)

Mel said...

Ack! That is the call that none of us want to get. I am so glad to hear that he is going to be fine, and more importantly, that he gets to come home to heal and meet his SON!

Can't wait to hear the birth story (and name, which you've conveniently left out!)

Prayers for both of you.

Brandee Shafer said...

I read about this accident, first, via the prayer team. I've been praying for your family off and on since before your daughter was born. I remembered your mom sharing your blog URL at one point and ran an e-mail search to find it, which is how I ended up here earlier today. I'll be following your journey this way from here on out, so I'll get to read all your happy things, too. The Lord has His hand over your family, and you must feel that deeply after everything you and your family have overcome and survived. I can't encourage you enough to order this book; I'm just finishing it, and it's very powerful, ESPECIALLY for the military family: Psalm 91, and the author's last name is Ruth. Order it, now; I promise you'll thank me, later. Hoping we can connect in the blogosphere or in real life; we have people in common. You can contact me through my blog or through my e-mail: normalgirl@hotmail.com

Offering praise to God that your husband will be ok and that he will soon be able to hold his little man.

Brianna Renee said...

I'm so sorry he was hurt and you had to get that phone call but so glad he's going to be ok.

Wife of a Sailor said...

OMG! I'm so sorry he was injured and my prayers are coming out to your family for a quick, full recovery.

On a different note, those photos are absolutely precious. Your daughter looks like she is IN LOVE with her brother.

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

I am sorry to hear that he was hurt but glad to hear he will make a full recovery. I know what that call feels like and I am glad you go to talk to him. I wasn't able to do that but I bet it gave you more peace. I will pray for him and your family.

Sespi said...

How scary! I'm glad he's ok and that he gets to come home, even if only for a bit. Congrats on the new baby - both your children are beautiful :)

Major Mom said...

Good luck, I'm glad your husband is okay.

I know you don't know me, but Wife of a Sailor passed along your post. So from one military wife to another, best of luck to you! <<<>>>>

chambanachik said...

Lots of prayers. Glad he'll be here with you soon.

JG said...

I'm so glad Joe is able to come home and recover. Praying for safe travels, soothed souls and a speedy recovery. If you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here.

Erin said...

Thinking of you! So glad he is ok!

Charity said...

Our prayers are with you, your husband, and your family. May he have a speedy and full recovery.

Hannah Noel said...

Praying for you and your sweet family! What a heart stopper.. So glad he is okay and healing!

Shannon said...

I was looking at my blog roll and realized I hadn't heard anything from you in a while. I'm so happy to hear that everything went well with Disney Baby and SO GLAD to know hubs is okay. So scary. I bet you will hold him extra tight when you get to see him again. Hugs!

Mrs Austin said...

My husband is deployed also, and as soon as I read the title of your post, my heart sank and tears came to my eyes. Know that there are many people praying for you and hoping for the best for you and your family.

Karren said...

Oh my goodness, hun! I'm SO glad to hear your husband is ok!! Praying he will have a fast recovery!

And congrats!!! The photos are too precious!! Lucy looks very excited to a big sister. :)

Melissa said...

I can't even imagine what those moments before she said "he's okay" would have been like. I am so, so thankful for you and your family that he is okay. I hope his recovery is smooth, quick, and complete.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I follow your mom's blog and after reading her post from yesterday, hopped over here to say I'm praying for you and your family. Please relay my thanks to your husband for his service to our country and thank you for supporting him.

Mateya said...

Glad to hear he is ok!

Chantal said...

Congrats on the baby! I can't wait to hear more!

I'm glad your husband wasn't hurt very badly and it'll be nice to have him home to heal. That would certainly be a scary phone call!

aBout Ry-Lee said...

Praying for your and your sweet family, hopefully your hubby is able to recover quickly. I can't wait to hear about Disney baby.

Sarah said...

I cannot imagine what it felt like for you, but am very thankful it was only a momentary feeling. Hold tight. Easier said then done I know, but he will be home soon to meet his beautiful new baby and recouperate safely at home with you!

Vintage Love and Photographs said...

I can only imagine how terrifying that is..I'm glad he is okay though!

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful baby boy! So glad you made it through the pregnancy and delivery ok. How traumatic to get that phone call. At least you will get to see him and reassure yourself that he is ok and he will get to meet Disney Baby.

Praying for ya'll!

Pink Champagne, Gatorade, and MRE's said...

Congrats on the birth of your son and so glad your husband is ok!!!!

Amanda said...

I will be thinking about y'all and hoping your husband makes a full recovery. So glad Disney Baby arrived here safely! :)

Sheila Atchley said...

Reading this in your own words wrenches my heart all over again! (I first heard about this through your mother...)

Dear one, I have prayed for you and your husband and children every day for awhile now, and I still pray.

Glad he is expected to fully recover. God is good, all the time. His plans for your sweet family are ALL GOOD.

Grace and Peace!