Thursday, February 23, 2012

Disney Baby's Arrival!

Thomas Alexander, whom we lovingly call Tag, graced our lives on February 9th.

That makes him 2 weeks old today!

Geeze what a crazy 2 weeks. So here is his birth story...

I had been waking up every hour to painful regular contractions every night for at least a whole month before he was born. I saw my OB a few days before Christmas and it didn't look like I would still be pregnant by New Year's. But 2012 came and I was still pregnant but still having very close contractions. It seemed unlikely at that point that I would make it to 36 weeks. Then I did! I was so happy and extremely uncomfortable. All my muscles ached constantly from the contractions. At that 36 week mark I was clear to do pretty much any activity I wanted. I was doing Zumba and extra walking everyday. It felt so good to be able to exercise after so long! I wanted my body to be good and ready for what was ahead. On the 8th I had my 38 week appointment and I just knew that Disney Baby would be on his way out soon.

That night I did my normal cardio latin dance work out, bounced on an exercise ball and then got like 45 minutes of sleep. In the middle of the night I fixed my hair, repacked my bag, did my make up and told my mom she needed to stay with Lucy so dad could take me to the hospital.

Luckily we got there in time for me to get a small dose of antibiotics for my GBS. There was a big concern that I would labor too fast to get any. That would have been the case since my body tends towards breaking my water early on but this time it had to be broken by the nurse in labor and delivery when I was like 9 cm. God is awesome like that. So my labor was "longer" than expected...it lasted a whole 2 and a half hours :) The old school doctor who was on call refused to let me push from the position I wanted and made me do that flat on my back. Even though it was a quick 4 pushes to get him out I was screaming in agony. And my poor dad had to watch me go through it. I really can't imagine seeing my kid in that kind of pain. But he was awesome and never left my side during my natural birthing process.

 Tag came out with a head of thick dark brown hair. He was super alert and looking around and was very chatty! I couldn't get over how much babbling he did right off the bat! When I was on the phone calling the Red Cross to contact G.I. Joe my dad was holding Tag and said he kept looking for me when he heard my voice. We have had some issues with getting him interested in eating but he has had a couple weight checks and he is gaining thankfully.

I never would have dreamed that less than 2 weeks later G.I. Joe would be heading home and I'd be facing raising a 3 year old, taking care of a newborn, and wounded husband. But our life is an occasion and with God's grace I will rise to it. I'm super tired and the stress is taking its toll on both the kids but we're closer than ever to being reunited with G.I. Joe. He had another surgery this morning and should be cleared to travel back to the states very soon. We can't wait to be a whole family again!





Ironically this was a song I listened to a bit while in labor. I love it. It calms my heart when I stop and listen.




Photobucket

8 comments:

Amy Willa said...

Tag is beautiful, and your birth story made me tear up, with joy in your new little one's arrival, and in pain for you when I read about how that mean old doctor made you push on your back! You poor thing! We miss you guys and hope that we will run into you again on our military journeys. . . Abbey says "look mom, it's Lucy!" when I'm on your fb checking to see how you guys are doing. It's adorable that she remembers you guys! Congratulations on Tag's arrival, and please do reach out if you need anything while adjusting to having two! It can get interesting, especially with your wounded warrior coming home! but if anybody can do it gracefully, you can!

Lib at Truly His said...

Congrats to you and HE is beautiful!!!!! I love that cover as well! :)

Sunny said...

Congratulations!!! Hoping for a speedy recovery for your hubs!

Kaylee said...

So, so precious. Congratulations! I have been reading along, as you've been sharing about your husband and his accident. I will be praying for your family.

Chantal said...

What a sweetie. Our boy name was Thomas too!

Jamie said...

He is gorgeous. Congratulations.

chambanachik said...

Beautiful!

Carrie said...

Congratulations! He couldn't be any more precious. :)