Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The "Accident"

Funny how someone shoots a rocket at soldiers and its called an "accident."

Anyways. So many people have been asking me questions and everything has been just spinning around me since yesterday morning. I figured the best place to explain stuff would be here instead of in the world's longest facebook status update ;) Oh and I'm super tired/scattered right now so this post may be all over the place.

Today my phone has been ringing off the hook! I never knew before what all happens when a soldier is injured enough that they have to come back to the states to recover. I've lost track of how many people I talked to today. And each time it hits me a little harder. They are all calling to "discuss your husband's accident and what to expect in the coming months." My heart skips a beat everytime the phone rings and they ask for the wife of _________. I did get more information today. Apparently very soon after that last email I got from G.I. Joe he was outside and a mortar was shot into their area. He was close to where it exploded and was, from what I can tell, the only one hurt. His jaw was broke, and he has some other wounds from shrapnel and stuff. He is still expected to make a full recovery and eventually go back to his normal job. But he likely won't be going back to where he was injured and will get to stay and recover/rehabilitate at home. Then new orders will come later on.

I am so incredibly grateful that his injuries aren't worse. This has still been super scary though. I only get tidbits of info at a time. And honestly I had really made myself numb to the fact that something could happen to him. He came away from Iraq with scars but to have strangers calling every hour to discuss your "wounded warrior" just adds a level of emotion I never imagined. And today I found out that after a surgery yesterday he was awarded a Purple Heart. I don't mention it to be annoying/braggy (and you can bet it won't come up again) I say that because it scares the hell out of me. He is hurt. Something far worse could have easily happened. That's a lot to accept at all but being tired and having all the new-mommy hormones doesn't help. Ever since we got married and he shipped out right away for his first deployment we made each other promises. Its really silly but he always promised me "none of those medals." No Purple Hearts, I promise. Naturally I always knew that wasn't a promise that was his to keep. He is a rock star at his job but things can still happen. But that's one of those crazy little coping mechanisms that makes me feel better to hear. Now this bubble I was living in was shattered a bit.

Everything just sort of seems surreal still. I never dreamed this deployment (wow first time I have said that out right on here but you all probably gathered that much) would come to a close like this for us but the Army and his unit have been taking excellent care of us! I can't say enough how great everyone has been.

It seems crazy that we went through so much to get him transitioned and to get this MOS and be on this deployment then go through this. I wish I had all the answers as to why God brought us down this path. One day we will know the answer to that. Until then G.I. Joe and I will accept that for whatever reason God decided this should be part of our story. His plan is perfect and I do look forward to seeing what the coming months bring. I think I have posted this video here before but I want to again. This song has been going through my head ever since yesterday morning. "We bare the light of the Son of Man, so there is nothing left to fear. I'll walk with you through the shadowlands, until the shadows disappear. Cause he promised not to leave us and his promises are true, so in the midst of all this chaos baby I can dance with you."

We get a new chance to dance through the minefields together. That's really all that matters.






Soon I'll have a really happy post to share about a totally awesome family reunion :)


Photobucket

15 comments:

Sarah said...

How scary! I'm so glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious. Thinking of your family.

Lydia said...

This post brought tears to my eyes and really touched me on a personal level. No, my husband hasn't been injured in any of his deployments (yet, but I hope never), but God has chosen us to go through some things recently... things that we had never expected to be a part of our story. There is always a purpose and plan in everything He does. Sometimes it's just hard to grasp that. I just keep holding onto the fact that each day is making us stronger, and each "mine field" brings us that much closer together.

I'm so sorry your husband was injured. I don't know what that's like, but I do know that God can bring you through this! You're so strong, and you're going to be able to have such a huge impact on people because you have the one answer to keeping it all together . . . God! Praying for you!

(I love that song, by the way.)

Happy Together said...

I am so sorry you all have to go through this! But, I agree, Praise God it wasn't worse! You are a strong woman! I will pray for his complete and total healing and for you and your family.

Christina in Colorado said...

It's not silly, my husband and I have the "no coming home with anything purple deal". It's what gets me through each "business trip" as we refer to them.

#4 for us starts in a couple of weeks, and I'm just praying that he gets to keep his deal we made, but I also know it's not in my hands.

Can't wait to hear about the reunion and your soldier getting to see his new Son!!!

Anonymous said...

I know that you have some conflict within you about saying your husband was awarded a purple heart. That is nothing to be ashamed of. I fought alongside your husband and we were lucky that first deployment. No one wants a Purple Heart but we are all willing to take the chance that it might happen. He is a terrific soldier and a Purple Heart means they tried their hardest to kill him but he was just too tough (and pretty). Cant wait to see you all soon.
Praying for you all.
Rick Diver

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

My husband refuses to call it an accident, he was blown up by a terrorist. That is not an accident. I am glad to hear he will be home soon and I hope he gets to come where you are instead of traveling to DC or TX. I know what you are going through first hand. If you need anything or have any questions about what happens let me know. I would be happy to help. Make sure they check him out for a brain injury. The earlier he gets help if he has one, the better. God Bless.

Mel said...

It's times like these where I am so exceptionally proud of the Army and how they treat their families.

I am glad you get to have your husband by your side soon, although not under these circumstances. He will have so much to smile over, with you an BOTH babies, that he will heal in no time!

Big hugs from me!

Chantal said...

So scary!

JG said...

I'm so sorry he was hurt, so glad it wasn't worse, so happy you'll get to be together as a family, and still praying for you all. ((hugs)) and thanks for the update. You're constantly on my mind.

Jenn said...

I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I guess they call it an "accident" because it's the politically correct thing to say these days... but what the D.A. calls it is not important. What is important is that you understand that your husband and your family have the full support of your extended Army family.
As I have said, I am not far and I consider it my duty and an honor to help in any way I can. In the meantime, look to God to give you the strength and courage to meet this challenge head-on. In Him, you will find comfort.

-B.M.

Amanda said...

Glad to hear he will make a full recovery. Remember.. God will never lead you to it if he can't get you through it.

Kerri said...

I just found your blog- I was pregnant and had a baby while my husband was deployed so I can relate- thankfully not to the injury. Dancing in the Minefields was my deployment song too :)

Becca said...

First off, I'm SO glad your husband is safe. Secondly, I LOVE that song. My husband is deployed right now, and that was our "song" at our wedding, and even before then, when he proposed we danced to it. I agree with your statement about being in a bubble, and I have unfortunately had my shattered here and there, throughout this whole army lifestyle. I wish the best for you and your family, and a speedy recovery for your husband.

Stephanie Hartman said...

Oh my goodness girl I know I'm been following through FB but I never knew what happened..This is just crazy but I'm glad he is recovering well and man you are one strong women girl your holding it together for him and your family.. My prayers are with you and your family. We never understand why God does the things he does but he knows what we can handle and what we can't..Stay Strong!