Monday, December 12, 2011

A letter to our son...and a big scare.

Today I will hopefully go to my normal OB for a follow up so I'm hoping to give everyone a full update after that. Basically, Disney Baby gave us the scare of a lifetime this weekend. I randomly started bleeding and my contractions became 2 minutes apart. I spent most of the night in Labor and Delivery. I honestly thought that I was giving birth that night. I did these L&D trips with Lucy a number of times before 34 weeks but it was never as scary as this, maybe because I actually felt like I was in labor this time. But the contractions slowed enough for me to go home. Hopefully I'll get an ultrasound today but they didn't do one the other night so we don't have a lot of answers. I'm just thankful he stayed put and tomorrow I officially make my goal of 30 weeks!!! Now onto the point of this post....



To my son….

When we found out you were going to be a boy I knew there were some things that I had to tell you. Promises that I need to make. Its kind of funny and fitting that you are a boy. Afterall, you are a second generation surprise Disney baby like your Daddy! So it seems natural. I do though get a little nervous thinking about raising a boy while your brave Daddy pursues his military career.

But I want you to know you are going to have some amazing life. It’s going to be full of love, laughter and more hugs then the Tanner family. (Oh, one day I’ll explain that reference to you.) And to really make sure your life is as extraordinary as it can be these are my promises to you….

There will come many times in the future when Daddy has to be away. In families like ours its normal for a boy to feel like he needs to be the “man of the house.” We won’t allow that for you. Your “job” will never be to act as Man of the House. That is your Daddy’s job and always will be. Your job is to run. Make funny faces at the dinner table. Build forts with your sister and knock them over. We want you to grow, not just to fill a grown-up’s shoes.

During these times while you are growing up during deployments, I promise to respect the fact that there are some things you need a male role model for. Your Granddad and Papa are both incredible men that can teach you many things. Whether its music, broken hearts, a jump shot in need of coaching, they have you covered and I’m okay with that. But never forget I’m still here to listen.

Your Daddy and I have both made it clear we would prefer our children not join the military. The reason for this is that we don’t want you to have to make the choices and hold the memories of war. Your Great-Grandfather fought in World War II. Your Papa did the same in Vietnam and your Daddy will answer the call in every war we face until the end of his career. We would like something else for your life. However, that is not our decision to make. And I promise that if you decide to join any branch of the military there will not be any prouder people in the room when you swear in than me and your Daddy.

One day you will meet “the one.” She won’t be the one who steals your heart, she will be the one who freely gives her heart to you. I promise when this day comes I will love her as a daughter. NOT a “daughter” but a daughter. On your wedding day I promise the only tears you’ll see swell in my eyes will be the happy-for-you-tears. I’ll save the inappropriate my-baby-boy-has-left-me sobbing for your Daddy to deal with later that night. (Don’t worry…he’ll be making the same promise to your sister as well).

I can’t promise you a perfect life. All I can do is promise we will do our part to make sure your start in life will be one that you can be proud of. So please, little Mickey Mouse…hold on just a little longer for us. Your life is worth waiting for.




Photobucket

8 comments:

Carmen said...

This letter was SOOOO sweet!! I was tearing up reading this! I told myself I would write my children letters before they were born too. I hope he holds on for a little longer! I'll keep you in my prayers! <3

Erin said...

So glad he is still cooking! I know how scary that trip must have been!

Melissa said...

Oh, my gosh! What a sweet letter to your boy. I hope he waits a little while longer to enjoy all the love that he's about to jump into.

KelleeLyn said...

What a sweet sweet post... praying Disney baby is all well and cuddle up in the belly for another 10 weeks!

chambanachik said...

*tears*

Jamie said...

This is a beautiful post and it made me tear up. I'm glad he stayed tight for a bit longer.

heather said...

So sweet...

Rusti said...

beautiful, beautiful post lady. love it. and so glad you and Disney baby are doing okay. I'll definitely be keeping your family in my prayers. *hugs*