Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Clinging to a Promise: Part 2

I don't even really know where to start with this post. I've wanted to post it since Sunday night when we got "the word" but we've been over-whelmed with different emotions (mostly good ones) and G.I. Joe came home that night so we're loving our short bit of family time. For a whole run-down of what happened last year when G.I. Joe tried enlisting in the Army after his NG contract ran out click here.

After that experience we felt somewhat lost and frustrated but God's voice in my head kept telling me "I'm not leaving you here. This isn't the end." 

That brings us to October of last year when {only after looking at other branches} did we find out that he could slip into Army enlistment in a rather unconventional way. We were thrilled!!! But it didn't mean active duty would start right away and we knew that. We tried to be realistic but our celebrations didn't last long. We had already tried for over a year to get to active duty. So we would hear "next month you will go to this school/training then be on active duty." Next month turned into January 2011, which turned into April. April turned into June and to get to the point June turned into October. Politics, red-tape and budgets just kept causing us delays.

I shudder when I get emails or people we meet want to know how long its taken us to go from NG to active duty. We get questions on the Milies about it and my heart sinks. I hate the thought of people hearing how long its taken us and getting discouraged.

2.5 years.

That's almost 3 years of waiting, calling every person who could possibly help us, worrying about money, and trying to find temporary or just a permanent different job altogether. And the sad thing is we aren't the only ones who have dealt with this for so long.

But now for our good news....


After all this time left wondering and questioning ourselves we suddenly have not just the active duty job he's wanted in our hands as an option but we have another possibility that's even better than we could have imagined! Its almost indescribable how we feel. We're going to miss him so much soon (sooner than October like we had been planning for) but to have almost 3 years of questions finally answered with "Yes, THIS is where you are supposed to be" is incredible! The craziest thing about all this is that if everything had gone "right" 2 years ago or last year at MEPS, G.I. Joe probably wouldn't have this better possibility that I told you about.


So we're thrilled. Relieved. A little sad to be saying goodbye so soon. And amazed. Now when I start to have some irrational fears about G.I. Joe's safety God gently reminds me "Hey, remember I promised you this? I came through? You know you can trust me." 


I know this is getting long but I have to leave with this...Sometimes when God has something for you doors just open immediately and easily. BUT that will not always be the case. What good would it do His children to make everything so quick and simple that we don't have to trust Him? Sometimes the road will be long. Maybe years long. And maybe you will hit road blocks and like us hear "NO" over and over again. What we have learned from this though is that sometimes NO really does mean that. But there are many more times when it either means "Not this way." Or better still, "Not now." We prayed daily over the past 2.5 years that God would show us what His will was. Time and again He would say "keep at this." 

So we did.

And all I can say is God is Great!



Thanks for all who joined My Week On Pinterest! This weekend was impossibly crazy for us with lots of surprises so I wasn't able to get on here much to promote it but hopefully this week I can. If you are addicted to Pinterest come back and link up with us!


Photobucket

9 comments:

Mrs.B said...

YAAAY!!! That's great!! I can some what relate..

My husband tried re-enlisting with the Marines but "waited too long" as they said and they wouldn't let him so when he got out he got picked up by a police station and went through the whole process only to get a letter in the mail saying "you don't meet our professional standards" we were completely lost, upset, and just didn't understand why we were getting such bad news so we turned to God and then, he found something he wants to do in the Coast Guard and by God's amazing grace he leaves October for boot camp! It's amazing the way things work out sometimes, isn't it?

Allison said...

Yayyy! I'm so glad that everything is falling into place. So exciting

Mrs. Yellow Ribbon said...

I gives me goose bumps when we can actually see God's answers to our prayers. Congratulations!!!

Sarah said...

Ah! You've left us hanging! What is option No.2?! Unless I missed it somewhere...I hope it's good! And I hope you make whatever decision is best for your family.

heather said...

Yay thats great. D's contract is up next year while he is over seas. were hoping since he will be over there they will let him sign active. We have been told we can do that and that it should work. We also tried to switch over almost 2 years and they said no since he was on a deployment list. now that they have dragged their feet it should work out, but I am very nervous since yall have been having such a hard time with it and all.. But God has a plan and I trust him. There is a reason.

Im so glad everything has finally come through for yall with the army.. Congrats :)

Working Mommy said...

CONGRATS to you and GI Joe!!! How exciting!! Best of luck to you!

WM

JG said...

Wow, I'm so glad that God had better things in store! Can't wait to see where this journey takes you!

Kaylee said...

So happy to hear that you got good news after so long - I can't imagine what a sweet relief it it. And so thankful to hear how much it's led you right back to God :) I'm excited to link up to a Pinterest party soon!!!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Mrs. B, we also tried the police route as well! But for our area there were major budget cuts and stuff like that so they weren't taking applicants very often or many at a time. I just LOVE hearing other stories like ours that work out so great in the end! Congrats on this new stage of your life together!


Allison, thank you! It is so exciting. I think we are still a little shocked that after all this time its finally working out. haha

Mrs. Yellow Ribbon, I couldn't agree more! Its incredible after so long to look back and actually see how God was working His perfect will.

Sarah, lol. I'm sorry. I did leave you all hanging but unfortunately we won't be able to say what option 2 is. I hate that but its very very good. And even if it doesn't come together right now it will most likely next year so we are just happy to know that our best option will be there for us now or later!

Heather I've been praying for you guys! I hope this process for you all is so much smoother. If you need to talk you know where to find me!

WM, thank you! We are beyond excited right now.

JG, I will DEFINITELY be keeping you up on where this journey takes us! :)

Kaylee I hope you do join the party this week! ANd yes, the relief is almost indescribable. It feels so good!