Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Host your own Mad Tea Party

Lucy's 3rd birthday is coming up in September and I'm already brainstorming like crazy how to pull off a cheap but awesome party for her. Last year for her 2nd we celebrated but because of schedules she didn't get a party. Her 1st birthday party was amazing! I honestly don't know if it will ever be topped. She had such a great time. This year she requested a princess theme bash so we'll see in about 4 months how it goes! I can tell you that very soon we'll be going on a "Princess Party Research Trip." That's a must, right? :)

In the meantime....here are some tips for throwing your own Alice in Wonderland Mad Tea Party.


Tip #1: Don't be like us....we found this amazing iron rabbit garden statue at Goodwill,
spray painted it white,
then on party day forgot to set it at the Wonderland entrance!


Tip #2: Dollar Store or Craft Store glass bottles filled with colored water add a little maddness :)
To use these as drinks for your young guests just mix up various Kool Aids and 
tie "Drink Me" signs on the bottles.



Tip #3: Details! 
Mome Raths are a cheap/easy detail to set your wonderland scene.
Just cut and spray paint dowel rods. 
Glue strips of ribbons and a fuzzy pompom on top!


Tip #4: Use bed sheets and curtains to create whimsical canopies 
that don't cost you anything.
An old wicker chair from a thrift store makes the perfect throne for the guest of honor.


Tip #5: Thrift stores are excellent places to find cheap tea pots and cups.
Our Door Mouse was one we stumbled upon at Party City for less than $7.



Tip #6: Mirrored Objects.
We did have a big mirror for the looking glass but to enhance the affect 
we also used a silver frame with black and white photo of the birthday girl reading the book,
and a mirrored cone from Target's Christmas decoration collection.


Tip #7: You can find large metal or wooden keys at a lot of craft stores. 
A touch of spray paint or you can leave it natural.



Tip# 8: Fabulous signs. 
Wonderland is all about signs, right? 
G.I. Joe hand made these with wood scraps and paint! 
Cost=$0!


Tip #9: For hostest-friendly, yummy, cheap foods we did all desserts. 
The big feature was a Make Your Own Tart Bar!
Just get some cakes/cookies/pastries for the tarts 
and set out fruits, oreo crumbs, whipped cream, cheesecake filling and other puddings.
This was such a huge hit for the kids and adults!




Tip #10: Lawn games! 
These are cheap to buy and guests of all ages will be amused by them.


Tip #11: Caterpillars might blow smoke but we blow bubbles. 
Bubble machine cost=$10 at Target.
Best $10 we ever spent in our life. 


And there you have it. 
How to host Your very own Mad Tea Party.
Cheap and Easy.




Photobucket

14 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wonderful idea! Great job on the signs--its a wonderful touch!

Sammie said...

OMG my daughter would LOVE this. She loves Alice in Wonderland in all it's forms. I think she even likes the Johnny Depp version better than the cartoon version. I'm going to have to keep this in mind for her bday next year :)

chambanachik said...

How gorgeous!

Mowenackie said...

This is amazing! What a terrific idea - or a bunch of ideas, really. I love it!

Happy Together said...

That is just the cutest party ever! Love it!

JG said...

What a cool idea! You guys pulled that off perfectly!

Laina said...

How fun! Very creative! I love your ideas. My daughter is also turning three (her bday is July) and I am trying to come up with an idea. Last year we did a Dora the explorer fiesta theme with all bright colors and sombreros and a taco bar..huge success! Gotta get to thinking what to do this year!

♥ Dani said...

Such clever ideas! I can't wait to have children so I can plan fabulous birthday parties for them, too!

Alana said...

AMAZING.

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite books ever! I was Alice two years ago for Halloween. Now I just have to have a baby so I can have this party. :)

FrEEna said...

What a wonderful decor, i love it !

Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Bacon Time. Our first party was a big hit with over 300 links. I can't wait to see what you have for me next week. I have a special give away planned just for linkers at the party. I would love it if you would add my party button to your lovely collection or a link. Thanks again.

Yanny said...

Love the photos and everything looks so pretty :)

Canterbury Cakes said...

I love the photography in this post, it really adds to the atmosphere of the day.