Friday, May 20, 2011

Yarn Octopus Tutorial Part 2: Faces

 To learn how to make a yarn octopus look here.




Today I'm finally back to give you all some tips for making faces and accessories for the yarn octopus! I would have been back sooner but we took a much needed trip to the beach for some family time this weekend.


Basically this post will be on how to add faces to your yarn octopus. What you add is up to you or your kiddies! You can really have fun with this and go all out or keep it sweet and simple like I did with the pink octopus.




To make the faces you will need:

1. Embroidery thread
2. Ribbon
3. Heavy duty glue and a brush to smooth~I LOVE E6000 because its as strong as hot glue but less stringy
4. Scissors
5. Felt scraps
6. Sewing needle

Instructions....

First you need to decide on what you want on your octopus. Any type of facial feature or accessory can be easily made by cutting shapes out of the felt. Here are a few examples of eyes and how different shapes give a different mood.









After you have played around with the look you want you will need to apply the pieces to your octopus. This what the main point of the tutorial because the actual faces you choose is just about having fun :) So to apply.....

You can either glue, or sew. Both work. Both hold. Sewing is nice because if you or your child want to upgrade or change anything you just carefully clip the seams and pull off the pieces.

Gluing is great too though because it feels really solid and seamless.

I sewed with the pink one and glued on the purple.

To sew features on your yarn octopus....





1. Simply use 3 o 4 strands of embroidery thread that match your felt and make a stitch that pulls through a piece of yarn and into the felt.

2. Use a running stitch across the entire piece. Make sure along the way you are catching yarn in the needle.

3. Tie off the ends and use the point of the needle to tuck the ends into the yarn.

That's it!

Now to glue....





1. Place a large dot of glue on the back of your felt face pieces. Use a brush to smooth it.

2. Stick the felt to the yarn and let it set for about 30 minutes.

Voila!

Beyond faces you can have a little fun with personality too. Maybe this is a pirate octopus!





For Lucy's I made a Jelly fish friend. I just cut 2 half ovals out of felt and used strands of ribbon for the tentacles. I glued the ribbon on one of the ovals then placed felt scraps inside both the ovals to make a sandwich. With matching thread I ran a blanket stitch around the outside edges of the jelly fish body. Then I used the ribbon to tie it to one of our 8 octopus legs!









The last step is most important.....

Give it to your child and sit back to watch the reaction!





Feel free to post links or references to any tutorial on my blog. All I ask is that you not take credit for my work. And don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions about a project or reposting something.





7 comments:

Karen said...

Those are the cutest octopi(?) I have ever seen. So cute:) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments!

Veronica Lee said...

Thank you for sharing this!! It brings back lovely memories! My mom used to make this for us when we were kids.

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

These are so sweet!

Happy Together said...

They are adorable!

H. said...

Hey just checking if I can post a link to this on my page? and give you a little shout out on your mad crafting skills.

H.

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Thanks Ladies! They are so fun to make. Its a nice way to let out your inner child :)

H, go for it! Thanks for the shout out :) And I'm glad you said something because I had forgotten to go back and put something in about people posting this.

Oh the life of a scatter-brained-toddler mommy!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Oh and I'll share a secret about the pink octopus....I couldn't find a regular ball when I made that one so I used a ball of yarn that I didn't want to knit with because the color didn't match anything ;)