Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vintage candelabra inspired jewelry holder.

I don't know about you all but I love taking old things and giving them chic new updates that bring them to life again. I'm lucky I have the bestest Grandma on earth. She gives me things from her past or "treasures" she finds at Goodwill. Because of her I have a totally rockin collection of vintage scarves and jewelry.

I'm sure somewhere along the way she gave me this candelabra.  For years now its sat with my pearls wrapped around it and suddenly I had the idea to make it over! So here is how you can turn a tarnished old candelabra into a jewelry holder.

Materials: 

A candelabra from your attic or a thrift store
Polish, if you want it
Spray paint that adheres to metal
fabric scraps
cotton balls or stuffing
hot glue or E-6000


Instructions:



1. These things are probably really dusty and filled with wax. Wipe down the entire candelabra so all the dust comes off. Usually the pieces unscrew and taking it apart will help you clean it.

2. To remove any dried wax boil just the little cups that the candles would go in. Very carefully {with tongs} take them out of the boiling water and wipe the wax out.



3. {OPTIONAL} Polish the candelabra only IF you want to leave it shiny without paint or if you want to distress the paint and have a shine come through.

4. Spray paint all the pieces with a couple of coats so the color is nice and bold. Let dry over night.




You are almost done! This project is so simple :) Now we need to make the "ring pillows" so your rings or earrings don't get stuck in the bottom of those cups.

5. Take your fabric scraps and cut a circle larger than the cups that hold the candles. Cut a circle for each one.

6. Squirt a big blob of glue right in the bottom of a candle cup.



7. Take a ball of batting and wrap your circle around it.

8. Press the ball down into the cup and glue.




Voila! Now you can place your jewelry and marvel at your beautiful and cheap creation that could have come straight out of Anthropologie. 












Photobucket

26 comments:

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

thanks for linking to TAke-A-Look tuesday - - I just featured this on my FB page....

Courtney said...

That is such a cute idea! I absolutely love it and cannot wait to try it out!!

Sarah Heineman said...

Oh wow, I love this!

Jess said...

I loooooove this idea! Soooo elegant and efficient!

JG said...

Very cute! I love it!

MomLaur83 said...

WOW! This is FANTASTIC! Well done! Totally bookmarking this! (Visiting from Too Cute Tuesdays @ Funky PD Giraffe :D)

Mel said...

What a sweet idea! And beautifully executed.

I would need 3 or 4 of them in order to hold all my jewels...ha ha!

chambanachik said...

Beautiful!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Its gorgeous I absolutely love it!!

Kaylee said...

Such a cute idea!!!

To Love a Soldier... said...

ADORABLE!! I am going "thrifting" today! I will have to see if I can find one to do!

Pink Champagne, Gatorade, and MRE's said...

so pretty!

Fabric Bows and More said...

Cute! Come to join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

Very cool idea, LOVE the color! Nice work! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

Mary Lea said...

No way!! I have an olod candleabra sitting under a chair...I vacuum around it weekly! Finally I know what the sam hill to do with it! You are genius!!

Libby said...

Very cool! Love the color!

We Four Explorers said...

I LOVE that idea! I imagine it in my favorite color, royal blue.
Have a great week!
Janet

Sachiko said...

I LOVE THIS! Go ahead and grab the "I was featured" button! :)

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins said...

this is genius! I will have to try it. I was wondering if it weighs too much and knocks the candlestick over ever?

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Cap Creations said...

absolutely love it! Great color choice too!

Dina @ 4 Lettre Words said...

Genius! I love this so, so much...and can't wait to look for an old candelabra now. The color you chose is amazing, too!

Natalie said...

I LOVE this! I've been needing something to hang my necklaces on. I've been using an old clothing hanger. I'm now on the hunt to make one of these!

Amy said...

This is so gorgeous and creative!!! Good job.

Pickled Pink said...

I LOVE this idea!! As if I needed another excuse to make a trip to the thrift store or the farmer's market… Thank you.

Amanda said...

What a great makeover, and I really love the color choice! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/candelabra-jewelry-holder/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

Found you on Craft Gossip today. I can ALWAYS use another idea for jewelry display! Thanks!

Kathleen