Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Big scare...biggest relief.

Before I jump into the details of yesterday I want say Lucy is 100% healthy and fine. So if anyone who actually knows us reads this and starts to get worried before they get to the end...she is perfect :) This is just my WHEW! moment of the week.

Last week when G.I. Joe was gone I found a little bump on Lucy's stomach. I dismissed it as a bug bite that was fairly new and just hadn't turned red yet. She wasn't bothered by it and didn't act weird and had no other symptoms going on so I figured I'd wait a few days and check it again. It never got bigger but it became more evident that it wasn't a bug bite, it was a lump under her skin. So Monday night I had G.I. Joe check it out while we were giving her a bath. Normally he is the anti-worrier. He brushes stuff and tells me there is no reason to worry. This time though he chose his words very carefully. "Would it make YOU feel better to get it checked? I think it would make YOU feel better so call the doctor in the morning." 

That sent my nerves over the edge. I had so many things going though my head and none of them were good. Then I would think, "Maybe I'm being completely ridiculous and its nothing. But a little lump sticking out of her abdomen can't be nothing." Tuesday morning we were at the doctor's office. The moment we went in Lucy has flashbacks to shots (like she does anytime we are in a waiting room where names are called) and she started flipping out. Focusing on calming her down was the only thing that kept me calm.

We finally saw the doctor, a man who used to treat me periodically as a child so I trusted him completely. After asking a lot of questions and feeling the lump...a lot...he gave us total assurance that we didn't need to worry a second longer. Lucy has a tiny cyst under her skin but that's all it is. I was relieved when he told us there was "no way it can be cancer." It freaked me out a bit that he brought up the "C word" because it made me realize I hadn't been totally unrealistic. If the characteristics had been different we would have been told that it required further testing. Countless parents have to hear that and it breaks my heart. I pray for families like that every day. Thankfully though Lucy's cyst is "100% benign." It doesn't have any cancer properties at all. The cyst may go away or she may have it forever and never notice it.

Its funny because G.I. Joe and I have both had little cysts like that. Most adults have at point had one. But when its your kid its a whole other matter! I don't think I've ever breathed better than I did as we walked out of that appointment yesterday! And now we can resume our previous schedules of tea parties and hide-and-seek :)

Photo courtesy of: a very talented family friend!





Photobucket

15 comments:

heather said...

Im glad she is ok and nothing is really wrong. It is always to worst feeling when something is wrong with your child and you cant do anything but worry. That's the worst..

Melissa said...

So glad she is ok! and I always say it is better safe than sorry.
BTW I love your wallpaper!!

Mrs.B said...

Well thank god she's alright. I know how scary some doctor visits can be with a little one.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm glad everything is ok!!!!

JG said...

Oh goodness, that is very scary! I'm glad it turned out to be no big deal, but wow, I don't know how you slept that night!

OurLifeUnrehearsed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. M said...

I'm sorry about your scare! Your husband's careful wording sounds like my husband. I'm glad everything is okay though and that it's nothing serious!

Chantal said...

As a second grader, I had a cyst that the doctor said "was probably not cancer" on my eyebrow. They had it removed and it was fine! My mom freaked out a bit though. I've had a few cysts since then, a couple that have had to be removed. Some people just get them!

SLM said...

Phew, I can't imagine how you felt!! So glad everything is ok!!

R said...

HOW SCARY!! so glad it's nothing to worry about... THANK THE LORD!! love the pic :) Enjoy your tea parties lady!! xo

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Thanks ladies! Yea I totally spazzed out. The night before I don't feel like I slept at all. And I'm so drained from it my body hasn't fully bounced back. Lucy ended up sick today anyways from catching some germs at the doctor. Hopefully in a few days everything will be back to normal!

Anonymous said...

Glad the baby girl is well and happy.

I've got a package ready to go out as soon as I get some jelly beans for it! ha ... will she eat Starburst jelly beans? What's her favorite candy ... I'll just get that ... and I'll eat the jelly beans! ha

Love ya
Lesley

GUAMtastic said...

Glad your Lucy is okay!! We almost lost our Lucy last week... scary scary stuff to think that our kiddos actually aren't invincible! Big sigh of relief for you :)

Carmen said...

I'm so glad that she is alright! I would have freaked out too but I'm so glad that she's okay :)

The Glamorous Army Wife said...

So scary to go through! I am glad is okay though.

I love the tea party pic too!!!