Monday, March 7, 2011

Are we that hard to please? Reactions to "Coming Home"

So, many of you might have watched last night's premier of Coming Home on Lifetime after Army Wives. If you haven't heard its a really sweet show that documents service members surprising their loved ones. I'm guessing it was inspired by all the videos going around the web of the same nature. I always love seeing military families react to the new ways that our lifestyle makes its way into pop culture and the media.

But I'm kind of disappointed in reactions that I've seen to this. All I've seen for the most part is people complaining about Coming Home. For the life of me I can't figure out why. This post is NOT in any way directed at anyone specific but here are a few basic summaries of some reactions:


~Civilians will think every day of our life is that wonderful and magical.


~Its an invasion of privacy.
(that one I've seen even about stupid contests for the "best" homecoming picture)


As far as the first comment goes I think we need some perspective. After 10 years of being smothered with the negative aspects of military life do you really think civilians, based on one simple little show, will COMPLETELY change their entire of view and say "Oh, I get it now! Their life is nothing but sunshine, rainbows and happy tears. Wow, they have it better than I do!" Haha, that would be nuts. Any logical person should be able to understand this is a Reunion show. They say it over and over. Its a show about reunions. They aren't advertising that this is a show meant to reveal every real life aspect of military life. Its just to show what is probably the coolest aspect. One of the top reasons we all Milie On. 


Is it really an invasion of privacy when someone applies to be on a show like this? I know some people feel like this should be a personal and private part of our life. For some of us it is and still will be. We don't get big televised homecomings anymore and could really take them or leave them. When G.I. Joe comes home in the middle of the night nothing will ever take away from how special and intimate that moment is. No two reunions are ever alike so one shown on tv doesn't make your next one any less special. Only your attitude about the reunion can do that.

We all want to rant and rave when the main media portrayal of military service members and their families is negative...and now what? We complain when the coverage is actually about something positive and heartwarming? Do we just want something to always complain about?

Oh well. To each their own. I watched the show and can tell you I plan to tune in every week. I cried from start to finish. That one hour was such a strong reminder to me that it is an honor to be part of a military family. Whether you are a military parent, spouse, sibling, brat, uncle, niece....its an honor. We get to experience a rush of emotions that few ever will.







Photobucket

20 comments:

Ash@Life As Lucy said...

if anything I was so thankful for it. I think it gives them a chance to understand what we go through and honestly, I myself could not watch it. It's hard to see those kids experience such a thing, especially when I know my child will go through the same. I am thankful lifetime is giving a look into our lives! People are dumb and I agree with everything you said!

JG said...

I think the show is a great idea....but I'll probably never watch. It just sounds so emotionally draining, yes over happy things, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

Erin said...

I have heard that from some people, especially the comment about it glamorizing military life. I personally cannot comment because I couldn't bring myself to watch it. Between having my husband deployed and the pregnancy hormones, I knew it was a recipe for a hot mess!

Sespi said...

These are pretty much my exact thoughts! I was surprised by how much negativity I heard about it, by people who didn't even watch the show!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

And I forgot to add that we can't wait to do a big surprise for Lucy one of these days! That's part of why I like this show :) It gives me ideas to scheme while pining away for a certain soldier.

But it is insanely difficult to watch the show when he is home. I know that sounds weird but when he has left we can look forward to a homecoming being the next step. If he is here on the other hand, it means we are waiting to say goodbye yet again. And we all know that first hump is hard to get past!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Because our life can be so emotional I make a point generally not to watch stuff that will make me cry. This is the one and only exception. I don't watch anything besides funny, romantic, or twilight-type movies. Lol...and tv is the same way. But this was worth it. Completely worth it.

Andrea said...

How terrible for people to have a single thing to complain about with this show. I'm a lame-o and go to bed early so I'm currently watching it online. And I have to watch it in parts because one of the only things that gets me emotional are videos like these. I hope this show has a very long life because I distinctly remember not really finding a way to relate when a sorority sisters husband deployed and I saw her at our house that night. I think this is a great show to give a glimpse into military life and it gives me hope for the day my fiance will deploy for the first time because I know there will be such a happy thing to look forward to when it's over.

Consider The Lilies said...

I completely agree! I'm really saddened to see all of the negative feedback from military spouses (mainly) I thought it was an awesome show. Sure not everyone's homecoming is like the one displayed in that show but it gives civilians an idea of what we go through and I cried from start to finish!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Yeah personally, I think the complaints are ridiculous.

Lora said...

I enjoyed the show! I don't see why anyone would be worried that this would somehow make people think military life is so wonderful. If anything, seeing the spouses and children's reactions SHOULD show the world just how hard it is being separated by deployment.

Its not an invasion of privacy, they are just showing people who applied to be on the show. I think it's a great way to show non-military folks a small piece of what we go through.

Amanda said...

I absolutely loved the show!!
People always want something to complain about. Ugh.

R said...

I didn't have a chance to get near my TV last night as I got Goose to bed later than normal and then fell asleep rocking her (thank goodness Army Wives was scheduled for the DVR!) so I missed it, and I was bummed when I saw all the tweets about it afterward. Planning to tune in next week! I love your post though, and as a "civilian" ;) I'm fairly certain I can keep separate a "reunion" from "everyday military life" when thinking about how things are. ;) *HUGS* to you!!

Chelle said...

I liked the show but I will say that even as a milspouse I wish that the media would spread focus to our law enforcement, fire departments, and other federal agencies families as well. They go through scares, fears, and loss just like us and to me it always seems like they are left in the dark with no acknowledgement that they live their lives as their husbands/wives serve to protect.

mommynursearmywife said...

I absolutely loved Coming Home. I recorded it. :) I love army wives too. I'm thankful that they are making shows for us wives. I don't believe it portrays our lives as a fairy tale. I think it does show how special and how much we miss our family members. I feel civilian wives do not realize how lucky they are to have their husbands home every single night and they don't have their husbands in harms way every single day. I think it kinda reminds them.

Jessica said...

I watched the show and really liked it. Yes, I cried through the majority of it, but hey thats me. =) (not to mention its a little harder when hubby is deployed)
I thought it was great and heartwarming and positive (plus it gave me ideas to suprise my family)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I agree. =)

Neidy said...

You're more right than anything :) I'm a film student so stuff like this shows that the glimpses of real life are precious.
Army wives is different though...that is PURE fiction.

But of course, to each his own :)

Pretty Lady said...

i also watched it with my husband and loved it. i was teary eyed the entire time and although i leave for 7 months in may knowing that i will be blessed with the chance to see him again is enough.
thanks for your post

ACE said...

I agree I think its a great insight to our life

Carmen said...

I saw it ONCE and cried from start to finish. I couldn't stop! ha ha I think it's a great insight into what we have and people shouldn't knock it down and you're right, they aren't going to change their perspective on the military just by a TV show and if they do, I can't help but think that they are extremely ignorant ha ha :)

Hot Pink Combat Boots said...

I'm soooo glad you brought this up - homecomings with the big to-do parties are often times not wanted by soldiers. When we come home we are shell shocked, a bit weird from the experience and still on edge. The last thing most of us want to do is talk to a bunch of people with odd questions and deal with cameras & handling social skills. What most of us truly want is a QUIET space with the one we love. Thats it. It takes about 4 days to start unthawing from the experience, and then its an ongoing battle. I am a female soldier, but god bless the military wives - you are so crucial to the success of your husbands. Its hell out there. PS - love your blog :)