Monday, February 14, 2011

Truly Chocolate Oreo Truffles

Whew!! I think we have been under quarantine here and disinfecting stuff for the past week. Our house was hit with the stomach virus so that's why I've been lazy about blogging. But as a little post-Valentine treat I thought I'd share a recipe I made for G.I. Joe when he came home this past week!

This is my very own recipe for Oreo Truffles. Most recipes out there call for either a whole or half package of cream cheese to make the filling. Those are decent but personally I can't get over the cream cheese after taste. So I set out to find a substitute and really love the way they turned out.



Ingredients: 

1 package of oreos~you can use the mint or peanut butter ones if you like. Just no double stuffed!
4-6 ounces of chocolate pudding.
Melting chocolate or Almond Bark~Dark, Milk or White

Preparation:

1. If you are using instant pudding prepare that according to the instructions on the box. Basically add milk and mix! Its fine to use this but you will have most of it left over. Another option is just use 1-2 individual pudding cups if you happen to have those in your fridge.



2. Grind/Crush the oreos. This is much easier with a food processor since it turns the cookies to crumbs in seconds. I like to break the oreos up into 3 or 4 pieces to make sure they grind quickly.





3. In medium size bowl mix 4 ounces of pudding with the oreos. It will seem like at first that this isn't nearly enough pudding. Working it with your hands is messy but it makes sure everything mixes evenly.




Using 4 ounces of pudding is plenty but if you would like a more creamy or fudgy texture add in another ounce or two. You want the oreos to be wet enough to stick together but not so saturated that they feel like cake batter. Cookie batter is what you want.

4. Over a pan or plate with wax paper. Using your hands and a spoon roll/mold the oreo mix into truffle balls. Refrigerate them for at least 2 hours.



5. When you are ready to dip your truffles melt your chocolate, either in the microwave (for Almond Bark) or on a double boiler for real chocolate.




6. Dip the truffles using toothpicks and lay them on wax paper to dry. If you use white chocolate its a good idea to double dip so the color is nice and bright.



Optional: I didn't have time to get fancy with this batch but while the chocolate is still wet you can sprinkle the top with crushed oreos, sprinkles, crushed candy cane, or wait till they are dry and drizzle chocolate on top. 

Then Enjoy!

I LOVE this idea from Bakerella to turn the truffles into homemade Hershey kisses! I think that's what I'll try next time.  







Photobucket

11 comments:

Samantha said...

Mmmm, YUM! I love chocolate covered oreos, so this might be right up my alley. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Hope you had a wonderful Valetine's Day!

Goodnight moon said...

That is some serious chocolate. I think I just got a zit from looking at the pictures!

Ashley said...

I think I will add this to my list of recipes; Sounds good and simple! Thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

those look yummy!

Carrie said...

These look fantastic! My husband is an Oreo fanatic so I think I'll have to try these out.

McDancer said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe, I'm not a big fan of the cream cheese ones so these look perfect!

Priscilla said...

YUM-O, I made some of these for a baby shower on Saturday, except instead of pudding it called for Cream cheese. DELISH! I have to try your way too!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Those look so totally AWESOME!! Your man is a lucky man! :o)

Shannon said...

These look super yummy! Thanks for sharing such a neat recipe. I awarded you on my blog...
http://www.eatpraylovelive.com/2011/02/most-valuable-milspouse-awards.html

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

These look divine!! I can't wait to try out your recipe, especially since it's sans cream cheese. Thanks for sharing :)

Amanda said...

i LOVE these things!!!