Monday, February 7, 2011

Reunion Expectations

We'll agree that no one should do this but lets face it...its really hard not to have at least a few hopes/expectations for reunions. I think that's just because as military wives we often let ourselves visualize reunions to make it through even the shortest separations. So sometimes we take our favorite parts of those day dreams and really work hard to make them happen.

Since G.I. Joe leaves a lot we try to make the absolute most of every reunion no matter what the circumstances. When he came home from Iraq we had lots of ideal situations in mind but what actually happened was the total opposite. In the end we didn't care about anything besides being back together. Isn't that how it always works? We stress and plan but in the end we all turn to mush when those uniform-clad arms scoop us up again.

For this short separation I've been giddy over the reunion! For starters I get the rare thrill of picking him up during day light hours! Normally he just gets home after dark and we have to be super quiet so we don't wake Lucy. Then she sees him in the morning and its like "Oh, you're here. I must have been dreaming that you were gone. Okay, I need breakfast now, Daddy." But this time I get dolled up and go meet him!

 I mentioned before about my up coming "Extreme Make Over: Hair Edition." This got me even more excited. When I pick up my soldier I just knew I was going to be a blond bombshell! The anticipation of this week has been driving me nuts!

Well, come to find out my hair color kit wasn't strong enough and I'm still a ways off from bombshell. I'm more like "Aww look at that Mommy. She's trying pretty hard but she looks alright." And it looks like someone will be creeping in after dark. A day-time reunion and chance to surprise Lucy is probably out of the mix now.

Of course as expectations go I'm a little disappointed. (Mainly with myself for not getting hair color with bleach) But on the other hand...I do know without a shadow of a doubt what I can count on this week......

I can count on us both glowing with excitement. 

I count on him whispering in my ear as he sweeps me off my feet. Literally.

I count on holding hands all the way home. 

I count on choking back tears watching him and Lucy play together again. 

I count on him getting up 20 times to check on Lucy during his first night back.

I count on his excitement as he tells work stories to be infectious and make me appreciate our Army life even more.

I count on us picking right back up where things left off and never miss a beat. 

I count on reality always being better than the expectations.




And now some pics from our special tradition! 
We have a little "Daddy's almost home and I've been a big girl for Mommy" treat.



 Eat It, Mommy!





This place is really waaaaaaay too yummy. Especially for those of us who have to actually limit the dairy intake. But who can resist Red Velvet Frozen Yogurt???



When we got to the topping bar Lucy insisted on only having chocolate sprinkles. Well, the rainbows taunted her. It was so hilarious when she decided she had to have the rainbow sprinkles too. She told my mom and I that she had to "ask the little lady" (the teenage girl working there) for rainbow ones. And she did. I took her up to the counter and she looked her right in the eye without any coaxing and said "Pwees may I have some wainbow sprwinkles pwees? Thank you!" Haha...I don't know where she got "little lady" from.








Photobucket

11 comments:

Letters From Home said...

so happy for you that the time is getting very close! enjoy every moment. loved this post and Lucy is just too precious for words! :)

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

Like you, I can't resist the urge to have a few expectations and hopes for reunions, but then life always gets in the way. Luckily, it's always more memorable than either one of us could have imagined. Super excited for you chickadee!!

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

Like you, I can't resist the urge to have a few expectations and hopes for reunions, but then life always gets in the way. Luckily, it's always more memorable than either one of us could have imagined. Super excited for you chickadee!!

Shanda said...

Lucy is such a little sweetie! I would love to meet her and you in person someday! Katelyn looks at her pictures on Facebook and your blog and says theres my Lucy! On another note, I'm so glad that GI Joe, you and Lucy will be together again very soon.

Mrs. Muffins said...

I must find a place like that to take Riley!!! It looks divine!

Reality is always better than the expectations :)

And I'm always here for hair advice, silly! Lol

xx

Kelly Marie said...

Yay for reunions! I love that last picture!

R said...

great post - I hope your reunion is fantastic (I'm sure it will be, look at all those things you can count on!!) and the pics of the ice cream shop? YUM! the pics of Lucy are even MORE YUM - she's adorable!! :) can't wait to see pics of YOU lady! I bet you're a blonde bombshell already, whether you think so or not! xoxo

hmb said...

Happy reunion to ya!

♥ Dani said...

These photos are so gorgeous... can't wait to hear about what's going to be a FANTASTIC homecoming!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

You're so right. Reality is always better than what's imagined once they have their arms around us. Lucy is getting so grown up its insane!

Ailinh Harris said...

Yay for reunions! Your little girl is so adorable. She makes me crave some frozen yogurt myself!