Friday, October 15, 2010

Yeah, she talks like me.

It seems like forever ago I first became aware that I needed to watch what I said around Lucy. We don't swear in our house so its not really a huge issue like that but one morning I knocked something off the night stand and said a phrase that a 15 month old really doesn't need to repeat. But she did. For days. G.I. Joe had been away so he came home to a much for colorfully-linguistic (yeah I made that up) child. Now the rare slip-ups on my part are more age appropriate. Like, "Oh Maccaroonio!" courtesy of Strawberry Shortcake and friends.



But the issue still remains. Her mind constantly amazes me. The list of things Lucy picks up and carves into stone on her brain goes on for miles. Its not just "frustrated words" she repeats now. I'm so bad about always calling her Daddy "Babe." He knows though that when I really get eager for him to respond to me I say "HONEY!" or I use the same tone and call him by his first or last name. Now periodically if Lucy feels she hasn't gotten Daddy's attention fast enough she calls out for Honey, or his actual name. Its so cute though when she does it, because it isn't terribly often. And each time its hard for us to hide our laughter. If I don't really pay attention to what I call people when she's around I'll suddenly hear Lucy call her Granny "Mom" like I call her. The exact same tone I use also comes out.

One thing that is the most noticeable is actually very subtle. She's copying my, oh well, lets call them verbal ticks. She's already saying things like yeah, yeah or I know, I know! As parents, or at least for me as a mommy, it can be a little scary at times to see our own bad habits coming out in our kids. We're working super hard on making sure Lucy says things like "yes, ma'am." And she does that more than she says yeah, yeah thank God. But its also such a good reminder for me to not sound like I'm either too lazy or too hyper. She soaks up everything so when she asks me, "How are YOU, Mommy?" I try to stay away from an indifferent "I'm okay" and go for "I'm wonderful, Lucy! Thank you!"

Overall though, she is extremely polite and entertaining to talk to. When she turns something down she'll give you an over-dramatic "No way!...Thank you berry much."

I know they say that parents can't wait for their kids to talk, then eventually they want them to shut up. But I can't imagine that right now! Hearing our 2 year old say "OH MY GRACIOUS!" or "Pray for bless this food" at meal time is just still too exciting.




Sometimes we laugh the hardest over the names Lucy gives herself:
Wucy-SaKayla!
(Lucy Michaela...and she knows her last name too!)

Muffin Crumb!
(No joke...that is what she named her non-sleeping alter-ego)

Turtle Poots!
(that one seems to be her favorite)




Yeah, Mommy, we need to talk.
Are ya' listening?
circa 2009




Check out my guest post, "Tightropes and Calendars," over at Faith and Deployments! While you are there be sure and congratulate LC on having her Airman home with her again!





20 comments:

ACUs and ABCs said...

SO funny! I love that she calls your hubby "honey" when she really wants his attention...that is hilarius! I never thought about how confusing it would be to hear Grandma being called Mom. Thanks for sharing :)

mixed girl said...

Cutest post and pic! :)

Carmen said...

Awwww that's so adorable!!! I know when I babysat for kids that I had known since birth I couldn't wait for them to start walking, talking, etc. It's such an exciting time! I'll definitely head over to your guest post. I can't wait to read it!

Rebekah said...

I think it's amazing what kids pick up just from listening at such a young age!

She sounds like such a joy!

Miss L said...

This post made me smile! That is so cute, she sounds like a precious little girl. You two are blessed to have such a beautiful baby girl :)

Sammie said...

Evie does the same thing when she can't get my hubby's attention. "Papa, Papa, MICHAEL" hahaha. Its amazing watching their little minds at work.

Mateya said...

Gosh that is so cute! I am sure she is just so fun! :)

Abby said...

Oh my gosh, that is so adorable! I can't wait till I have kids of my own and they start saying their own cute made-up words :).

ksatsky said...

That is too funny! It is amazing what our kids pick up from us and other people. They are like little sponges socking up all kinds of information as they explore the world. Our daughter has done the same thing and it amazes me how she will pick up on little thing we are unaware we do. Love you new little words from Strawberry Shortcake will have to try that.

Beth said...

This is super cute! I can't wait for AJ to start talking!

mindi said...

I'm in the same boat with my 16 month old and my 3 year old - I have a phrase "what the heck!" that my 3 year old picked up. Now I say 'What in the world?" I like that one much better :)

Kaylee said...

This is so cute, I love when babies are learning to talk and hearing their interpretations of different words. What an adorable picture as well.

MrsMike said...

oh i know i need to watch my words. its hard to remember though since our 2 year old just doesnt talk at all yet. i know he observes everything and retains all that way say... he just doesnt care to repeat (yet)!

JG said...

That's so funny. I've already tried to start watching my words just myself, since more is caught than taught. :) I've been watching my friend's kids and doing good all week, until I found one of them had peed through his diaper and clothes all over the couch....and then there was a bigger, dirtier accident when I tried to change him. I just yelled "Holy Frickin Crap" but his eyes got so big... :)

Sarah said...

Awww, I love it!! She's so cute! Muffin Crumb...really? I think that one is my favorite!! =D

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Haha I seriously don't know where the Muffin Crumb thing came from. One day I was trying to get her down for a nap and she just wouldn't have it. So she bounced up on her knees, pointed to herself and shouted "MUFFIN CRUMB!" Then she started doing that naptime or night time when she didn't want to sleep.

Its so entertaining and cute that its impossible not to laugh at. Which means she gets really amused with herself and is up for a bit longer :)

[Briar] . Designs said...

Thats the cutest post I've read all day. She's darling!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

That is adorable. Seriously made my heart smile!

Amanda said...

Too cute! It's fun to hear the things they come up with. I've noticed the same thing of our soon to be 4 year old. He says a lot of things I say, and with the same tone and inflection. He also takes some of our phrases, peppers in his own words, and makes them his own.

Mary Jason and boys said...

Love it! She's a doll!