Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What was your favorite part of your wedding?

I got to attend a beautiful wedding this weekend and take pictures at the reception. Hopefully soon I'll get some edited to share! The whole event was really sweet, and I was kind of proud of myself because this was the first wedding I haven't cried at in years. But I think that's because I was so focused on pictures.

I've said before I get mixed feelings from weddings but I do love seeing the unique little touches that people do to make it their own. For my friend's wedding on Saturday she wore cowgirl boots with her gown. During the ceremony the bride and groom took the Lord's supper together. And for their portraits outside (which the first photographer took and turned out amazing) they sat on an old church pew. Those little things are my favorite part of weddings.

We have been getting so excited about our military wedding even though its about 2 years away. Because of the way things worked out with enlistment we had to push it back a little further. There are a couple of big schools that G.I. Joe wants to get through first so this little event will be our treat at the end for making it through. Its so much fun to come up with ideas to make our {way-in-the-future} day unique. I think we are going to do the Lord's Supper. That's something that in almost 5 years of marriage we've only been able to do once together because of orders keeping us apart so much. One thing we did for our wedding back in 2005 was we had a "Pinky Swear" ceremony after the rings and vows were exchanged. That's a big thing for us. I was planning on saying something funny for mine, still sweet and heartfelt, but definitely trying to make him laugh. Too bad for me though because he definitely went for heart-wrenching instead and made me (along with everyone in earshot) cry. Then I had to be quick on my bare feet and think fast while trying to not cry even more.

So what did you do to make your wedding unique? Or what are you planning to do? :)

I also need a little advice on military weddings. This may be a completely ridiculous question but how do you get the sabers? Do you rent them? Or do the service members you have there already have them or is that their wedding gift? I have no clue what the protocol for this is. For those who have done or are doing military weddings, are you adding any other "military-ish" touches to your ceremony or reception?

One thing about our wedding I loved was how we did our vows. We did traditional vows at the ceremony in front of everyone but we also wrote our own and read those to each other on our wedding night. Now we're not really sure which we are going to do for this one or if we'll do both again. Unity is really important to us since most of our marriage was spent apart and we'll be apart so much more in the future. I like the idea of doing one of those sand ceremonies because that's something we can include Lucy in on. But we're also trying to come up with other stuff like that.

Even though we still have a long wait for our military wedding, I don't want to wait till the last minute to get the major stuff figured out. And I know this is a slightly different topic than you've seen here lately but I figured what woman doesn't like talking about her wedding?!



ETA: My friend Jane is hosting an amazing giveaway on her blog right now. Two of her lucky winners will receive one those awesome recordable story books! They are such a great way for deployed parents to stay connected with their kids. Hop on over there and enter!


19 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

We are Air Force so things may be a little different for you guys, but my husband just had to call up the Honor Guard and request that they do a saber arch at our wedding. Of course, funerals take precedence, so there was a chance they wouldn't show up, but they said they'd try their best. Having them there was one of the best parts of our wedding!

Carmen said...

We had tried to get the Marines to come out and do the arch but unfortunately my husband couldn't get a hold of anyone. Just call a recruiting station or duty station and ask what they do for military weddings. I know for the Marines we had to call the recruiting station and ask them to round up some guys. The guys usually have their own swords and have had practice doing weddings.

What made our wedding unique was we did the "lasso" which is a giant rosary and our grandmothers wrapped it around us to symbolize that we were united both with God and with each other. It's mostly a hispanic tradition but it was really special to have our grandmothers participate. Another thing we did that was "different" was when my mom was supposed to give her speech she instead did a musical tribute by singing Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" with her entire table. It was hilarious! Hope this helps!

Expat Girl said...

I am using patriotic Save the Dates and invitations and around the napkins I am going to put engraved dogtags with our names and the date of the day!

Nichol said...

Weddings are truly amazing! I've been to some fantastic weddings, but I have to say we attended our good friends beach wedding. No shoes, shorts, it was wonderful. Our wedding to me was very special because we did everything ourselves. I decorated everything and was so proud. I don't have tips for yours but good luck, a military wedding sounds great!

annoyed army wife said...

I have a few favorite things from my wedding, besides the obvious - OccDoc. I went very Breakfast at Tiffany's and had all my bridesmaids get a little black dress (from any store) that hit them around the knees - they all loved their dresses and have worn them multiple times. I made them pearl necklaces (pearl knotting is relatively easy and looks really great). Our reception was at the zoo so the bridesmaids and I all wore leopard-print heels. My heels were custom made (but totally not that expensive) dance shoes, so they were ultracomfy! My most unfavorite thing: our photographer was absolutely horrible. The lighting is terrible in my photos and the shots are lame. Oh well, live and learn. Have fun!

The Mrs. said...

Honestly, the best thing about my wedding, was it was just us. He was going from Camp Pendleton to Security Forces training in VA, I went with him, and we had planned to stop in Vegas to get married! It just being us leaves our memories our own. We have our own jokes about the day, and sweet memories.

Our reception though... we had two and a half months later. My favorite thing about that, nobody went into debt with it. Planning an extravagent family function, than a wedding with details that few people remember anyway.

I do know, that the most important thing, is the people that come to your wedding. The ones show up for that, and all other days are the people that matter!!!!

My sister, she had a real wedding, just over 2 months before I ran off to Vegas.... My favorite thing about her wedding, was just before I (maid of honor) walked down the aisle, I turned around and gave her a hug and told her I loved her. All the pictures of me walking down the aisle, you can see I'm crying...

Now that I've written you a novel for a comment... I feel like I should have warned you to grab a cup of coffee! hahahha!

Holly said...

The sabers are not a silly question. The roses and thorns handbook goes over it I think. From my understanding you have to speak to the chaplian. The men don't have to be in your wedding, though they are usually users as well. I think they can also be your friends and they rent the swords. My husband and I were married in my city so we didn't get the saber ceremony, we were MILES from a marine base. I was pretty upset.
They only military touch I added to my wedding was I pinned my Uncles rising eagle pin to my bouquet.
My favorite part was our vows. We both wrote our own. It was very lovely.

ThatArmyWife said...

We had lots of little touches and a very traditional, military wedding. If you want to see pictures, shoot me an email :)

For the sabers, many officers have them but it really just depends. Usually, the groom rents them for his party. There are a couple places online, and you can usually find one near military bases.

Most of our party was in uniform. We named the tables at our reception after places around West Point. It was an army chaplain who married us, although it was in my family's home parish. We included a prayer for POWS/MIA/KIA and those currently serving in harms way in our ceremony. We had a missing man table at our reception.

hmm...I'm trying to think what else was military related. Most of my family has served in the military so it felt like everything had a military flavor...one of my fav moments was when a couple of my uncles (who are all retired NCOs) saluted my brand new DH- it was a big joke because they gave him a hard time about being a USMA grad.

Stephanie said...

My parents are divorced and I wanted a way to include all of our parental units.

We had a glass vase and different colored sand. The pastor poured in white sand - a base to symbolize God. Each parental unit (mom & stepdad, his parents, dad & stepdad) each poured in a different color. Then he poured in blue sand, and I put yellow in. I sealed it with wax on top later. I'm not into the unity candle thing (it's weird because you only need one candle to light it not both), and it was a way to show where we come from. It's pretty and a fun memory.

Jenn said...

i actually know the answer to the saber question, but only because we had trouble getting them since we are not at an ordinary post. Typically the post chapel will have them to rent or borrow for the day of your wedding. We used them and it looked so much better then having the wedding party hold up the bouquets or hands.

Felicitas Linda said...

I looked up the protocol online, and they suggested asking to borrow them from the local rotc unit. Also, I heard even some jrotcs have saber teams so if worst comes to worst you could ask them. Or maybe the base's chapel might have some you could use. Also, there are military cake toppers, like where the groom is in uniform. And they can customize them really well. Down to ribbons and all. There's even military themed garters for sale. I've seen them in pictures. They are in the branch's colors and have an emblem of the service on them. Just some thoughts. well, ttyl :)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Glad you had a great time at the weddings! I always think they're so fun to attend. I love seeing the flowers and the cakes!

Jen said...

I loved that my wedding was simple and low-key and didn't cost an arm and a leg haha :)

Meg said...

My favorite part of the wedding was the fact that we found a venue that did most of the planning (with my imput), all the setup, all the cleanup, all the details. All we (us and our families) had to do was enjoy the day. It was so nice to just relax. All those decissions and all the stuff to do would have drove me crazy.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

The saber question isn't silly at all! You should be able to call the local base's honor guard/chaplain and they'll help you out. We got married two states away from Matt's base, but his best friends just borrowed sabers from the closest base's honor guard and it worked out great.

A few details I loved:
*The arch of sabers. We loved having our best friends as the saber bearers.
*We named every table after places around the Air Force Academy.
*We used a seating chart and then instead of regular place cards, we used mini note cards that matched our invitations and had their names on the envelopes. Inside was a personal note for each guest. We had more than 160 at our dinner reception, so it was definitely time consuming! But our guests still tell us how much they loved them.

mindi said...

Hubby was in the marines when we got married, and I LOVED every minute of it. His groomsmen all had dress blues, tons of guys drove to WV from NC for the ceremony and participated in the arch, it was amazing. Of course they emptied like 3 kegs at the wedding, but all of my friends were wowed by these marines and everyone had a blast! Oh to relive that day again . . . you're going to love your wedding day!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

I don't think its ever too early to start thinking, preparing, and planning!

Katie said...

At least in the Marines, your husband can go to supply and "Rent" the sabers. Each unit is supposed to have a certain number available to "rent" out. We are using friends to do the arch, but many don't have swords like Frank does, and they are going to let us rent them for over a month so nobody has to worry about getting them back ASAP.

Jes said...

we ordered the sabers for our wedding online and that was the gift for the guys who performed our arch.

My favorite part of our wedding was the photo booth we rented. I recommend it to everyone I know. hands down, it was the best money we spent!