Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Vanity Hair

I have always prided myself on being somewhat care-free about my hair. I like to try new things and my motto for hair cuts is "Oh, well...its just hair! It will grow back!" So I like to change things up and usually love the results.

A couple weeks ago after I dropped G.I. Joe off for his last dreadful MEPS appointment, I had an urge. Once I was on my own I went to a $12 hair salon. The woman who cut my hair last time (back in December) had apparently moved. That should have sent off a red flag for me to run for the hills. But I stayed. I told this random woman what I wanted and she said it would look great with my face.



The second she started cutting my head was screaming "STOOOOOOOPPPPPPP! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS??????" I knew for sure it was a bad sign when she cut one side half an inch shorter than she said she would. And with the cut I was getting, half an inch means a lot!

I felt vulnerable the moment she whipped off the black cape. I didn't want anyone in the crowded salon to look at me. I ran to Target to immediately stock up on bejeweled and flowered headbands and clips.

I kept thinking people must be looking at me thinking I was boy, or an old lady. Before I cut my hair I could pass for a senior in high school! Not so much now. I was so mad at myself for cutting so much off. Not to mention I was terribly nervous about what G.I. Joe was going to say the next day. I just knew he would go "Ewwww! My wife looks like a 12 year old boy! Can't take her out in public for a while." Luckily, he loved it. I still don't know why because I'm not even used to it yet.

This whole ordeal made me realize very quickly that I wasn't as self-assured as I should be. If that much of my confidence comes from my hair then it was time to chop it off. And to all the long silky strands that are in a dumpster somewhere, not on my head helping me pass for a teenager...I say good riddance!












PS~I almost forgot...the best part about my new 'do is that people have been saying I look more and more like my Lucy. I'll take that :)




28 comments:

L.C. said...

I really love it :) Honestly

Stephanie Hartman said...

Oh my goodness I think it looks GREAT I would LOVE to have my hair like that but see I have a brother who looks like my twin and everyone already thinks we look alike so I couldn't cut mine that short becuase people would be mistaking me for my brother not that I don't get that already lol..

I LOVE it though you can pull that look off GREAT!I have to much of cubby cheeks for that lol.

Alia said...

I think your hair looks great! Emotional hair cuts are usually horrible, but this looks good!

Mrs. Muffins said...

Oh, I love it. After reading all that I was nervous to see the pictures but I love it! I'm sure it's definitely taking some getting used to, but it looks very chic. I miss having short short hair, it's SO easy! It shows off your beautiful eyes and yes, I think the cut is reminiscent of Lucy's 'do ;) I like it. :)

Ashley said...

That was my first thought, that you can definitely see the resemblance more now!
I think its adorable. :)

Amanda said...

it looks so great!!!!
you know what I would do is mess it up a lot in the back but keep it nice in the front, but only if youre feeling a little wild that day. :)
you look like an adorable pixie!!!

R said...

I think it looks fantastic! you look gorgeous - and while I'm not brave enough to go that short myself (my naturally curly disaster would probably look ridiculous that short!) I think you pull it off fabulously!! XOXO

Sarah said...

Haha =) I love the picture of you making a face about your hair. Totally something I would do. I know I didn't cut off quite as much hair as you did, but I did the same thing. As soon as the first "snip" happened close to my neck, I about had a heart attack! But, I love it...for the most part. =) It's not like I can avoid fixing it by putting in a ponytail now! Haha! I totally love your hair. You can definitely pull that look off! =D

Mateya said...

You will rock those headbands and clips girl! You can defnitely pull that look off...it looks great!

Goodnight moon said...

I actually LOVE your hair! It is sooo cute on you. I totally get how you feel though. I've had a pixie cut before and I always felt like people thought I was a boy too, especially if I wore a baseball hat and you were looking at me from behind. I didn't have anything to hide behind anymore. My face and neck was just out in the open.

I grew to like it as it grew out! But seriously...your hair looks so cute on you! I'm loving the flower too...and you and Lucy DO look alike!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

I absolutely adore it!!

Karren said...

I think it looks great!! Wish I could pull off a cut like that!

Jessica Lynn said...

I can imagine how hard it is to see yourself with such a drastic new 'do, but I really think it looks fantastic and I'm really jealous.

ashley said...

I think it looks great on you!

mrs.wood said...

You are Rockin that hair do! You don't look like a teenaged boy at all you look like a very chic mom! :)

Kathryn said...

Super cute! And you and your daughter definitely look more alike!

Amber said...

I love it! I works so well for you - I wish I could do something like that but my curls would just turn i into an afro.

Erin said...

It is adorable! And really looks good with your face shape!

Mrs. GI Joe said...

I LOVE your hair. I wish I could pull off that short. I tried.... it wasn't pretty! But you look amazing

The Mrs. said...

Well, I have to say, you're a pretty hot teenage boy!!! hahaha!!!!

No, seriously. I love it! I think it works well with your face, and its an adjustment for sure!!! And hello... head bands, hair clips, spike it in the back and have circa 2008 Kate Gosselin hair... awesome!!!!

Anddddd..... Its gonna get colder which means scarves so your neck won't be cold, and who doesn't love showing off a cute scarf...

What a great cut!!!!

Bradley said...

I like it!

Mary Jason and boys said...

You can totally pull off the short hair! I think it looks great on you! Also, you'll save money on shampoo with less hair! ;)

Sammie said...

I think it looks awesome!

Elianna said...

I can totally understand you freaking out about it. I used to have a hairdresser who gave me a cut that made me look like a little boy! I hated it. But good news....you do NOT look like a boy :D You actually look awesome with that hair cut :)

September Love said...

It's totally Audrey Hepburn. Tousle your bangs, and throw on a scarf, girl. Cause you're rockin it! :)

Reagan said...

I've done that as well. Chopped it all off and freaked at first because of how different it is. But I loveeeee your hair, it looks so cute on you!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I think it looks great!

Brie said...

I absolutely love it! I can't bring myself to go short like that because I know it's going to suck when it gets to that "point" where it's not long or short and that gets annoying, but god it looks adorable on you!