Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Geekiness Revealed

I have a confession to make...

as much as I love things like New York City, 
Vogue Paris, and Audrey Hepburn and James Stewart...

I have a major geeky side.

I love Harry Potter and just sitting in libraries to be around old books. 

And my newest geeky obsession? 


Knitting! 

Yes, I am so addicted. 

I said before that I wanted to teach myself how to, and I did. 

Its so much easier than I thought! But its challenging too...weird, right?

So now I'm becoming a total knit-wit

I could spend hours knitting and googling new stitch variations. 

And I'm collecting quite a stash! 



The "geekiest" thing about my knitting obsession is that it doesn't just stop there. 

I'm having supreme fun making knitting charts and patterns! 

I think I'm better at that than the actual needle work. 

Here is a chart for a square I made for the blanket I'm doing for Lucy.



So there you have it. 

Mrs. G.I. Joe is a closeted geek.

I wonder if there is a support group?



16 comments:

Amanda said...

oh my gosh, i would LOVE to learn how to knit!!!

Libby said...

I always loved the technical math portion of crafts. Measuring, equating, counting...it's what makes us true nerds.
I hope Lucy enjoys the blanket...I'm sure she will!

Shayla said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

knitting isnt geeky...but the sketches and planning out patterns definitely qualify for geekiness haha :)

I tried to learn how, but I forgot everything within 5 minutes :(

You should do some video tutorials ;)!!!!!

Audrey said...

I wish I knew how to knit - I tried to teach myself to crochet, but it didn't go very well :)

ballet news said...

oh I think it's lovely !

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heather said...

Well if you find a suport group please let me know.. I have started knitting like 3 weeks ago and there is no turning back..please keep us updated on the blanket making...I really want to do one.. :)

Brie said...

No shame girl, I WISH I could knit. And I'm like the biggest potter-head. It's kind sad, when you walk into our house though and their is a bookcase directly across from the door and the first thing everyone remarks on is the harry potter and twilight books sitting there. hahaha.

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Love it! And I'm addicted to HP like nobody's business!

JG said...

Wow, I didn't know there were, like charts to knitting. :) I used to know how to crochet, which seems similar in my mind. But I never got around to knitting. I can only have so many unfinished projects in my house! :)

The Wifey said...

If you love knitting and reading you may like the Blossom Street series by Debbie Macomber. The first book is The Shop on Blossom Street. Each of the books have knitting patterns and projects. It's a great series.

Amanda said...

You're in good company. Science, especially physics is my sort of closeted geekiness.

Miks said...

oh snap...I think I just found my knitting soul mate--except i'm not good; I don't really care though because I love doing it!

Jessica @ {Mis}Adventures of an Army Wife said...

Ah, man! I'm so jealous! When I lived in Russia I had it in my head that I was going to take up knitting. I don't know why, but everyone around me was doing it so I figured I'd try it. It took me FOREVER to knit like three rows. I got so frustrated. I threw down those needles, threw a small tantrum, and said "never again".

Angie said...

Don't consider it geeky. Consider it expanding your horizons. :) I actually went to the library today and checked out a bunch of books. Love being around old books too!

Jess (Life with BooBoo and Bug) said...

I love to knit also! I taught myself last summer and it is so much fun. I'm pregnant with #3 and already have a few hat patterns set aside to get started on when we find out the sex.