Friday, September 3, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill In--my 1st!

My brain just seems to be on overload lately. I'm extremely behind on blogging and returning emails. But I'm not behind on book stuff, writing articles, cleaning, knitting, reading, picture editing, living...haha. Usually my life is the reverse of this! I swore this week I was going to post more but here it is Friday and I've only posted once. I blame it on all the sinus/allergy medicine I've been taking. Its made staring at this computer the most unpleasant task ever.

So instead of a regular post today I had to jump in on the awesome MilSpouse Fill In hosted by Wife of a Sailor!


1. What is a weird/funny superstition that you have? (from A{muse}ing Mommy on a Pink Park Bench)

I try my hardest to look at any clocks around when its about to strike 11:11. I squeeze as many wishes I possibly can into that minute then usually forget about them an hour later.




2. What are your hopes and dreams for the years AFTER the military? After all, we aren’t in it forever! (from Stetsons, Spurs and Stilettos)

Honestly, I hate the idea of being out of this "club." G.I. Joe could get full retirement at 36 or 38 and sometimes jokes about taking it but I can't imagine that actually happening. I know its a long way off and military life is a challenge at times, but its in his blood. Of course we have plans for where we want to build our dream house--sunny Florida here we come! Generally though I don't dream about life after the military and all its opportunities, I worry about whether he'll be happy once he's out for good.

And of course you all know right now with our battles getting him re-enlisted all we're focused on is how great it will be to serve again!

3. Since [this] month is National Apple Month (no really!), I’d probably ask: What is your yummiest apple recipe? (from NH Girl Displaced)


McDonald's Apple Dippers. Haha...really. I love fresh apples but anything with baked apples, apple sauce, apple drinks...is just icky to me. I like 'em crisp and crunchy, not mushy. So naturally Lucy loves shoving heaping spoonfuls of her apple sauce in my mouth! And I must admit its better than the brown rice cereal she used to try to feed me :)


4. How long have you gone as a military spouse without talking to your husband/wife during service? (from A Navy Princess and Her Little Sailors)

Thank God I've lost track but it was over a month back when G.I. Joe was in Iraq. We were about 20 years old at the time and only had a week together before he left. Going that long without calls and letters (we never had internet luxury with his job) was "normal" but I never got used it. Each day at 6:30 PM I'd go to a place where I could be alone and just melt down because I knew he never called past that time. Those months that I wouldn't hear from him brought on a panic attack every day.


5. I occasionally watch When I was 17… on MTV. So, what was something that was significant about your 17th year of life? (fromAshley Amazing)


This is a tough one...I think the biggest thing is that when I was 17 I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I wanted to marry G.I. Joe. We were best friends then and loved to torture each other about our love lives but I knew he would either be the one or anyone else would fall short of him.





2 comments:

hmb said...

That's crazy to think about a retirement in your late 30's!! We don't want to leave for a long time either. I just hope they don't kick him out at the 20 year mark :)

Military Spouse in Training said...

I love your remark about you knowing you were going to marry your G.I. I knew I did when I was 17. That was 2 years ago.