Thursday, August 5, 2010

What team are you on?

Mrs. Muffins is on deck for today with a very candid look at branch superiority.
She's a Marine wife...yet somehow we get along pretty well! Haha



Everyone knows that soldiers Aren’t Really Marines Yet, that Airmen belong in the Chair Force, and as for the Navy, well, Marines are a Department of the Navy… the Men’s Department. Oh yeah, Coast Guard, who’s that?
 
 
I am kidding. I got your attention though, right? Oh, and for the record, any stereotypes about Marines, they are true… Trust me, I know. I married one! I swear, every time my husband spends any amount of time with other Marines, he comes back a little dumber.
 
 
Jokes amongst the branches is nothing new. I would bet you could ask any of them and they would have a joke for another branch. Even within branches, different MOS’s have things to say about the rest of them… It’s a healthy competition and when it comes down to it, no service member would risk the life of another one over some branch pride. 
 
The problem is when the spouses forget that it’s just a joke.
 
I have a shirt that says “Midol? I think you’ve mistaken me for an Air Force wife.” and I laugh every time I read it but the fact is, I see all military spouses as family. When one of you is facing a deployment, my heart aches for you and when you’re making signs for a homecoming, my heart fills with happiness.
 
You might think an Army wife couldn’t possibly understand what you’re going through because you’re a Marine wife. Or if your husband’s a grunt, a mechanic’s wife wouldn’t understand. It does not matter what branch your husband is, what his rank is or his job. If wait for your phone to ring, worry and cry yourself to sleep, you’re just the same as me and every military spouse who has walked in these shoes before you.
 
I know firsthand what it’s like to be on a base all by myself, not knowing a soul. It takes time to build real, lasting friendships. Online it’s different. With one blog post we find out so much about someone. That someone might not be affiliated with the same branch as you but you’ll often find we all have a lot more in common than you might think. Instead of hiding behind our computer screens and saying mean things to each other, we should be thankful that we’re all just an email away.
 
In the real world, military spouses don’t get a lot of respect. We’re viewed at as women that just sit at home with our kids, spending our husband’s money. Nobody knows what it’s like to be a military spouse except another military spouse. That’s why it is so important that we treat each other with respect and love, like a family would. If we don’t respect one another or the other branches of the military, how can we expect the rest of America to? Think about it and next time you’re talking to another military wife remember that no matter how different her husband’s uniform is, we’re all on the same team.



27 comments:

Sespi said...

Great post! I loved this: "It does not matter what branch your husband is, what his rank is or his job. If wait for your phone to ring, worry and cry yourself to sleep, you’re just the same as me and every military spouse who has walked in these shoes before you."

I was shocked when one of my real life acquaintances informed me last June that my husband's deployment "didn't count" because it wasn't a year long, like the deployment her Army husband was currently serving in Afghanistan. I think it's easy to fall into the woe is me I'm worse off than you are trap, but it's important that we don't. Because you're right: we're all on the same team and we're the only ones who really understand what each other are going through.

Jamie said...

I love this!!! How refreshing! It makes me sad when women get so defensive and take jokes among the branches personally. With all we go through, we deserve a laugh here and there! And we ARE all on the same team. Love it : )

September Love said...

Great post, Mrs. Muffins! "Coast Guard...who's that?" is actually, sadly, a question I get more often than you'd like to imagine. People forget that I'm a military spouse because hubs is home "a lot", but we millies remember that we're really all in the same boat, and that's what matters! <3

Mary Teresa said...

Would you ladies mind if I used this as the basis for my next FRG meeting? I think it would be a good thing for them to hear. Thank you for it. It's a wonderful reminder.

Jen said...

I 100% agree!! :)

Julie the Army Wife said...

So true :)

R said...

GREAT post Mrs. Muffins!! and very well said!!

Renee said...

Terrific blog!

Thank you!!

addicted2shius said...

Well said!!! I finally got some recognition for my BFF (non mil spouse) the other day for doing what we do best. Being devoted to our spouses and carrying on during the absence. She said she admires not only my strength but all other wives. And has a greater understanding and respect for the sacrifices we make.

allissa said...

I loved this post. She hit the nail on the head.

ACU's and ABC's said...

that was a great post! :)

JG said...

I appreciate the humor! :) I think that's what we all need a little more of - a sense of humor. It can't get under my skin if I don't let it. And the ones who take branch wars or rank wars - or whatever - too seriously, well, that' the other benefit of the internet. I can stop reading them. And I do.

The Ayers Adventures said...

I love this post so much because my dad is in the Air Force (chairforce) and my fiance is a coastie and lets just say Christmas can get pretty interesting! I'm just glad to know that no matter what even for the simple things we go through there are people out there that I can turn to, either to ask serious questions or just advice on how to get through a move. Love this post and can't wait to read more!

Jessica said...

What a great post!

The Household 6 Diva said...

*standing ovation*

Amen! :)

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Thank you! This is incredible and so true. Absolutely love it. I'm posting a link on FB :)

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

It never occurs to me to even think about what branch my mil spouse friends' husbands are in. Sure I've heard all the jokes, but I think they're funny. (That's why they're jokes.) I've never had any personal experience with branch discrimination among friends, and I hope I never do. We all gotta stick together!

Great post!! ;)

Ashley said...

Yay Nicole! I love what you had to say... its very true.

Sammie said...

Great post! My hubby is new to the Air Force so all the jokes and such between the branches still shocks me a little--and annoys me. Especially because my brother is in the army and my cousin is a wounded marine. We should all stick together & remember that they jokes are just for laughs & that yes, we are ALL on the same team :)

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Great post! My sister and her husband are dual Army, and my husband is Air Force. From our experiences, I've learned that military spouses definitely go through a lot of the same things regardless of the branch. Mil spouse blogs just make it all the more obvious. I love that we all share that common bond :-)

The only reason I'm ever bummed that a new friend isn't an Air Force spouse is because it means we (most likely) won't get stationed with each other!

Kerry said...

Amen sistah!! Preach it. Your post is so right on.

♥Miss Brittney♥ said...

Great post and its so true!! :)

chambanachik said...

I love this! It kind of gets to me sometimes to hear people bash other branches- we're all loving someone who we worry about and miss, and that's what really matters.

Jessica said...

Great post!

Ashley said...

Great post! I have family that represents each branch and they all seem to pick on each other. However, my husband and I are quick to say that it takes each branch to support the other during war! It is so true!!

What kills me is when people who are not military tell me that my husband's deployments are not bad because he isn't gone for a year. Wow that is so easy for someone whose husband is always home to say! Thanks for the support!!

fancypants said...

so true so true! It makes me sad to see spouses get so caught up they forget we are all on the same team! Thank you!!

Karren said...

SO TRUE!