Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm clinging to the promise...

A lot of people are wondering about my status updates on Twitter and Facebook yesterday. I haven't even started responding to all the comments and messages yet because I'm exhausted but trying to stay positive for my G.I. Joe.

I had planned a really happy post about the re-enlistment process. I was all giddy about how I got one really fundamental military wife experience recently besides just saying goodbye all the time. Last week I got to with G.I. Joe and talk to his recruiter! Haha such a thrill :) But it really was. I haven't gotten to see much of military life besides 1 homecoming, 1 formal ball, and a whole lot departures. So this was awesome. One of the most fun things about this has been that the Marine recruiters work right next to the Army ones and those Marines are very persistent. For some reason they've decided I was meant to be one of the few and the proud. They are seriously the only branch that has ever attempted to recruit me and this group of recruiters aren't even the first to try it. That, and the fact that G.I. Joe's future Army career has looked so promising, has kept my days exciting and comical.

Last week we hit a tiny bump in the road. Apparently MEPS is run by civilians these days and the doctor refused to give G.I. Joe a physical because his forms weren't correct. (They were---this guy just didn't understand some of the codes in the packet.) No huge deal though. I dropped him off again Sunday with a newly refurbished packet and eagerly awaited the phone call. That phone call would sound like "Hey Babe! I signed the papers! I leave on SeptOember 42nd and then by next spring you and Lucy will PCS to where I'm stationed!"

I was walking around the Barnes and Noble near his recruiting office when he called. He used to sound more upbeat when he'd call me from Iraq. One of the civilian counselors at MEPS didn't understand what G.I. Joe is enlisting for and basically denied his enlistment. He didn't give the poor guy much of a reason at first so he was left to wait for the recruiter to get there for hours. I cried when he told me he felt like someone ripped off his uniform. He had to wait there for hours after this, with no other information besides that they weren't letting him in. He's willing to do one of the most dangerous jobs in the military yet a civilian is keeping him from it.

I didn't know when they would bring him back so I hung out at the book store all afternoon. My heart just hurt for him. That's just how it is when you're married. If someone looked me in the eye and told me that I would never be able to publish anything again ever, I'd be crushed. But I've only wanted to be a writer since my teenage years. G.I. Joe has wanted this job since he could walk. Until he found out exactly what was going on he felt completely betrayed by his country that he's fought so hard for. All he wants is to continue that fight.

Now...what we finally learned is that he will be able to re-enlist but because some people aren't using logic we now have more red tape than ever to get him in. I'm going to pull jobs out of the air to explain this so none of the specifics apply to G.I. Joe but this is the kind of thinking going on:


"Sorry we can't enlist you unless you have this dive identifier."

"But I'm going to dive school as soon as I get in." 

"Right now that program is only taking people who are dive qualified." 

"So you are saying that if I was already dive qualified you'd enlist me today so I could go to dive school to get dive qualified?" 


"Yes, exactly. Have a nice day." 


Then there is this issue that they are insisting on--


"There are too many SGT's in the Cavalry right now. You'll have to try to enlist when a slot is available." 

"But I'm not going into the Cav's I'm going to the Infantry."


"Yeah but we have too many SGT's in the Cav's. Once more slots open up you can enlist." 



Its almost funny that this is the logic that's holding things up for us and that could potentially crush G.I. Joe's dreams. We do have a back-up plan, and a back-up plan if that goes down the toilet and an absolute worst case scenario plan. We have plans in which other branches will be considered, even though no branch offers an alternative that gives everything this job in the Army would give. But I married a soldier. I know the man I married. Right now, even though its hard and scary, I have to trust that God knows the man I married better than I even do. Even when I was crying in Barnes and Noble over the thought of our Army life ending God just kept whispering to me "I'm not going to leave you here. You have to jump...I will catch you. Do you trust me?"

We've been waiting for this for a year and a half. I'm tired of waiting. G.I. Joe is tired of feeling useless. But we have to trust that God didn't give him these specific skills and talents just to abandon him and never use him again. I can't and refuse to believe that God is done with this. If not for my own benefit, I have to believe this for G.I. Joe. So we're jumping, very blindly, and just trusting that something awesome is waiting on the other side.


I could get so discouraged right now. We could really use the benefits of an active duty job starting like, tomorrow. For some reason though God needed to remind us that we can trust Him.


And so we will. However long it takes.


End Beginning of {an amazing} story.





32 comments:

♥Miss Brittney♥ said...

That is horrible! I'm sorry you guys are going through all this right now, but I truly believe God will put you where you need to be. Keep your faith and your eyes on him and he will never abandon you! :) Good luck and you'll be in my prayers!!

Charity said...

Good luck, I am sure everything will work out to Gods will. Just trust and have faith. (easier said then done right?)

Mrs. Muffins said...

Well, I really feel for you. You already know Matt's deal (no prior service re-enlistment packages are being taken). He's still waiting to hear something from the civ. contracting job but it's just a waiting game. Jobs open up "all the time" but... when!? And then we still have the issue that we need to be close to Ohio... if he doesn't finish out his three years with THIS reserve unit, we pay back a ten grand bonus. And we only have six months, so that's not worth it. I'm trying my best to be as positive as you and have faith but it is certainly not easy. Big hugs!!!!

Dawn said...

this is the first time i've ever felt like i know exactly what you mean.
my husband is going simultaneous membership with the guard and the reserves while he's a student and he's willing to do anything, ANYTHING to get active as soon as her graduates.

his unit left for iraq last week, and he couldn't go because of his rotc contract, and i know he's so disappointed. my heart aches for him, even though i hate when he's gone, i want him to do what he's dreamed of doing since he was a teenager.

although we're not in the EXACT same situation, i feel ya girl.

JG said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. That's crazy. I can't even imagine how stressed you are. You are right, it just means God has something better in store. I'm so sorry this is all happening, though.

Chelle said...

Stay persistent and don't give up. It took my husband almost 4 months, over 8 trips to MEPS before they finally allowed for him to reup in the Army. This is AFTER he put in a request and had it approved to separate from the Navy 5 months early. Then the poor guy didn't leave for the Army till 5 months after he got out of the Navy. It was a hellofa roller coaster that left me in tears so many times.

mrs.wood said...

Something AWESOME is waiting for your family and I look forward to the near future when you share the start of that wonderful begining on your blog. I'm sorry it's taking longer than it should.

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

I'm so sorry you guys are hitting such obstacles. Hang in there and trust in God. And please keep me posted. I heart you girl.

Julie the Army Wife said...

*hugs* to you. The Army is being so frustrating. I hope that things can get turned around and he will be active duty very soon!

Erin said...

Ugh!!! I am so sorry that they are giving you guys so much trouble! Hang in there, it WILL work out!

Lisa said...

I am so sorry to hear how frustrating this process has been for you guys. I hope that things start to smooth out soon!!

Young Mom/Wife said...

Oh sweetie, I feel your pain. Sometimes the it feels like the people in charge of how the military works don't give you a break. You are so right when you say that God has a plan, and you just have to trust his plan...no matter how hard that is.
Keep up the amazing positive attitude! You and the Mr. are in my prayers!

Little Momma said...

My Hubby reenlisted last fall, & rather than put him back in a job using any of the skills the Army had already been trained in, they pushed him toward something different that required 6 months of new training. He loves his new job so far, but it makes you wonder the logic.

Good Luck!!!

heather said...

That is awful. They did the same thing to my soldier when he enlisted. Once it was time for meps. they did the whole your 6 foot not 6 feet and 5 inches (which he is 6ft 5in) so you fail your weight test, then ok a new slot has opened up you can have it, the recruiter forgets to tell them he wants it, and the best is he had been there about 4 times in the last 2 months and they never noticed his physical wasn't good anymore and then when it was time, he couldn't go since it was bad.. He was supposed to go on sep 1st and he didn't go til march 1st.. God knows what is best and I also believe he isn't done with yall... Keep up the faith... I am sure good news is on it's way...

addicted2shius said...

It's so crazy but I've been hearing more and more of these stories. I really don't understand what's going on but people have said they're trying to weed people out. Either way it sucks. But like everyone else has said, have faith and it will always work out in your favor. Whether we see it now or not. It always does eventually.

Aracely said...

I'm praying for ya'll!

I know God is the one who holds the promises in His hand and I would encourage you to cling to Psalm 46:1.

He will never leave you :)

Kaylee Rae said...

I am so sorry, My husband and I are having a hard time with the military and their logic at the moment as well, no-return phone calls from the reserve unit, no emails, nothing. Stay strong, it really will work out the way it was meant to.

Lawyer Mama said...

Man, that is frustrating! And it's not the first time I've heard about run arounds like this. ARGH! Hang in there, babe.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. But, the best view is just on the other side of the mountain. =) It may not seem like it right now, but you're right - God will be with you every step of the way and He knows what you (and GI Joe) need SO MUCH MORE than what you do. Praying for you, sweetie! (((hugs)))

Kerry said...

I'm soooo sorry you're going through this. Hang in there love!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Thanks so much everyone! We really appreciate the prayers, and hearing that others have dealt with this.

The thing that either will make this easy to solve or harder to solve is that it isn't the military giving us problems at all. They aren't a problem in the slightest--its a couple of civilian career counselors.

Now we're just waiting on pins and needles to find out when MEPS round 3 will happen!

R said...

I (obviously) can't really know what you're going through as we've never been there - but I definitely sympathize with hurting when your other half hurts, feeling his disappointment, disillusionment... I feel for you darlin' - so sorry you're (both) going through this. Keep your Faith, He will see you through... *hugs*

Pretty Lady said...

You are right, you need to believe and trust in God... None of this would happen if there werent a reason for it. Just have faith and believe that God is good. God is great. You and your family will be in my prayers. =)

Mateya said...

How frustrating! It just seems so stupid! Sending prayers your way!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

That is just so aggravating and frustrating. I know you're right though. He will take care of it, he will take you where you are supposed to be and all will be well. I'll be praying for you and your little family :) xoxo

L.C. said...

what a roller coaster! I know everything will work out and I can't offer much other than if you need a bitch fest let me know and i'll drive to where you are and you can talk my little ears off about it :)

Amanda said...

(((HUGS))) The red tape is a nightmare. My husband waited years for the last 2 jobs he's held. Somehow, it all worked out in the end.

Erin said...

Sorry you have to go through this. I' d love to start a blog on all of the stupid things that USAREC says to recruiters and recruits. If I could I'd have to do it anonymously because it's so stupid. My husband can't even enlist anyone in the reserves until after October because there are NO positions available yet he's still on mission for 2 a month. They want him projecting people out till then. What is the point? He's so frustrated with the whole system it's unbelievable.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

I'm sorry that they're making your husband jump through so many hoops! It all seems so illogical and silly of them, and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be on your end. I hope everything gets worked out quickly!

Susan said...

You have won an award! Check it out here:
http://quesramblings.blogspot.com/2010/09/ccl-from-crazy-cat-lady-library-has.html

Susan
http://quesramblings.blogspot.com

Tonya said...

I'm all late, but I'm catching up on my Google Reader. :-)

I'm praying that God will work this situation out in accordance with his perfect will.

We went through a situation like this a few years ago. My husband was unable to get a job that he had desired in his heart since he was a teenager. Years later, we realized that if he would have got that job, it would have created a hardship for our family.

So be encouraged in knowing that all things work together for the good of those that love God. He will take care of you, your husband and Lucy.

Please keep us posted! **Big cyber hug!***

Felicitas Linda said...

As a girl who went through MEPS, all I can say is it SUCKS. So I understand and can imagine how y'all feel. **hugs**. my horror stories include a wrong shipdate, a confusion about my birth city (recruiter wrote fresno, since I was born in fresno county, but i was born in the city of clovis), biometrics being rejected, and a broken pen. Which had me attempt to sign my contract *drumroll* 7 times. Meps is like human ping pong. And they screw you over the littlest thing. They are "freedom's front door" and they get down to a gnat's antannae. But from what I understand it only happens once so i guess it ain't so bad. LOL well much hugs from me. Hope everything turns out ok.