Friday, July 30, 2010

My Proxy Husband

A sweet post today about the love of a best friend and an Airman is
brought to you courtesy of Mrs. S from



I love my man more than anything. I think as a military wife, I have to. I have to have an unbelievably strong love for my Airman. I have always loved him with a love worthy of the eternities but ever since he enlisted and we were thrust into this crazy, hectic, unpredictable life, it feels as if it is even more durable. We can get through anything. Not only can we but we have to. It is a definite necessity. I think most other Millie’s could totally relate.

When Mr. Superman enlisted and we made the decision to jump in headfirst I said, “No matter what, you have to take me home to Arizona because I can NOT be alone without my family and Brighteyes (my Bestie).” He agreed whole-heartedly and was happy to leave me with my more than capable parents, down the road from my sister, and four houses down from Brighteyes. Before he left for BMT, Brighteyes announced that she would be my proxy husband for the next four months and that he had nothing to worry about.

What does a proxy husband do? Well I don’t know about yours (I’m convinced if every Millie doesn’t have one, she needs one!) but I’ll tell you a little about what mine did and continues to do for me even though we are 2,000 miles apart. I met Brighteyes long before I ever even knew Mr. Superman existed. She was with me through my very long awkward adolescence, bad boyfriends, awful tragedies, terrible decisions, and finally “coming back” and straightening up to fly right. She was there through it all. She loved Mr. Superman instantly when he came into my life. She could see he was different and she approved.

When he left for BMT, I was sad. I was lost and lonely. She was there. We worked out bright and early every day. We swam, shopped, laid out, and had movie nights and dinner dates. We laughed, we cried, we took a million and one pictures. It felt like one of the many summers while growing up. My mom making dinner and asking if Brighteyes was going to be joining us. My dad teasing her relentlessly about how many guys she had fawning over her. Confusion ensuing because her and my baby brother share a name. When I started to get sick and eventually got put on bed rest, she was there. When I woke up from surgery and was stuck in the hospital, she was there. When I started to get unbelievably anxious, nervous, and slightly ill over the thought of seeing my man again, she was there to qualm my many irrational fears. She was there on the 17.5-hour drive from Arizona to San Antonio, TX singing Backstreet Boys, Celine Dion, and Britney Spears. She was more than happy to attend BMT graduation with me. She was nearly as excited and proud of him as I was. We had a blast my husband, proxy husband, and I.

I did take some time to visit Mr. Superman while he was at Tech School but made a return to my proxy for a few weeks before journeying with Mr. Superman to our first duty station. We went 5 months without seeing each other and our first reunion was glorious. It was short but glorious nonetheless. Our second reunion just came to a close yesterday and putting her on the plane inspired just as many tears as when I said farewell to Mr. Superman. What makes our friendship even better is the fact that Brighteyes and Mr. Superman love each other so much for the sole purpose of each one loving me. We all hang out, talk, laugh, and have the best times together.


I love my husband. I love my proxy husband just as much. She was and continues to be the person that keeps me up instead of down, happy instead of sad, and sane instead of, well you get the jist. She will continue to be in my life forever and thank heavens for that because when our first deployment hits, her proxy husband duties will not only be necessary and mandatory but incredibly appreciated.






17 comments:

Young Mom/Wife said...

This made me miss my best friend who had to go back to her home this past Sunday.
Mrs. S you are so right that military wives need those true friends who are there for you always and forever, no matter what. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

This post is so sweet Mrs. S! Every Milie should be so lucky as to have a best friend and the relationship you and Brighteyes have. And how great that she and your Airman get along so perfectly!

Thank you for sharing this on my blog. I feel very honored :)

Star Spangled said...

This was beautiful. :) Girl-friendships are the best!

Mrs. Muffins said...

I totally agree! I would have NEVER made it through my first deployment without my "proxy husband" and our date nights ;)

xx

Ashley said...

I want a Proxy Husband!! What a great relationship you two have! She will never know how much you truly appreciate her during deployments!

Catherine said...

:] I love stories like this.

YOu are so lucky to have a friend like that. :]

L.C. said...

LOVE THIS POST!!! absolutely wonderful darling!

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

Love this post! We should all be so lucky to have that one person in the world (besides our husbands!) that we can turn to during good times and bad. So glad you have your Brighteyes. Love the picture too. You 2 could pass as sisters.

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

I loved this post. You are so lucky and blessed to have such an amazing friend. And even more so, a friend that loves your husband and vice versa. It certainly means a lot that they get along so well for the mere purpose of their love for you!

Sarah said...

Such a sweet post!! I wish my bestie lived closer!!

P.S. I so have "Straighten up and fly right" (the song) stuck in my head now!! Thanks a lot! =P

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Thank you all! You are very sweet. I know I am incredibly lucky to have her as a friend.

Reina said...

I love this so so very much. I am jealous that you have such an amazing person in your life that isn't your husband. LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing Mrs. S!

Madison {Life Happens During Naptime} said...

This was such a sweet post! What a great friend to be by the author's side through it all.

Truly His said...

That was great and loved reading it. It is a sure Anne Shirley and Diana Berry friendship. :)

Amanda said...

this is great!! I have one too!! Haha! I call her my deployment spouse. Her husband is a corpsman stationed in Japan and my husband is away in A school.

R said...

how awesome for you! it's great that they both love you so much, and each other as well! and YAY for having a "proxy husband" who doesn't leave socks laying around, or the toilet seat up, eh? ;)

Karren said...

I loved this post! I want a Proxy Husband now! :)