Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Marines Make Due

Today's guest blog comes from my awesome friend and proud Marine wife Karley from 



When I got asked by my sweet Solider wife friend to be her Marine wife post this week I was SO nervous. Panic set in when trying to figure out what in the world to write about! I felt that since she had specified MARINE WIFE, I needed my thoughts to be near and dear to the Corps. I could have easily written about my love/hate relationship with the  United States Marine Corps, but I feel assured that is EVERY milspouse in ANY branch! So I took a different angle - my complete PRIDE in, not only my husband, but the entire Corps in general!  I will start from the beginning, when I met my husband it was in COLLEGE, and for the first 2 years of our relationship the words UNTIED STATES MARINE CORPS never made an appearance. It was not until one week before graduating, after my husband had already been accepted to law school, that he said "could we look into me possibly joining the Marine Corps?" my response?- "As in military service?" his answer-"yes."

And so it began, I got a lot of resistance at the time from my parents, my dad an Army vet, didn't want the life of a mil spouse for his daughter. My mom took more of the financial stance. Regardless, we took the jump. And in taking that jump it meant I quickly learned where Marine Corps pride comes from. As a devildog's wife there are many many phrases you become accustomed to- one in particular, "Marines make due" the United States Marine Corps gets a mere 8% of the governments military budget. I found this absurd, the Marine Corps is the first branch into a hostile area, they are charged with "taking" an enemy area, then the Army is set to maintain control. Meaning my husband is put into a very combative area where no US boots have been, with dated equipment.(nice) At first worry for my husbands safety comes to mind, followed by pride. Pride in that the Corps is first to go, "swift. silent, deadly", small numbers, even smaller budget, yet a big big impact.

Being the wife of one of these devildogs is no cake-walk , but I take pure pride in being married to one of the few, and the proud!




10 comments:

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Karley thank you so much for posting this! It was so refreshing to hear why you are proud to be a Marine wife.

:)

And I agree that as different as all the branches are, there are some things that are just universal!

Ashley said...

WOW! Only 8% of the alloted military funding! I am blown away!! Great post!

annoyed army wife said...

Great guest post! I'm looking forward to following you. :)

BALLET NEWS said...

How lovely of you to post this - thank you !

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Thank you for sharing!

LTarmywife said...

Nice story Karley! I enjoyed reading it!

Stephanie Hartman said...

This was such a cute and sweet post I Loved it..

Samantha said...

Thank you so much for sharing!

Kerry said...

Awesome post Karley and I definitely feel your sentiments/pain about being a Marine Corps wife. oo-rah!! ;)

Amanda said...

You look so cute in your pic with your man. Thank you for the follow as well. I'm excited to become a military wife soon, and I will definitely share your pride. Great blog!

http://myoutletfornow.com