Sunday, July 11, 2010

If this doesn't make you proud...












 If you haven't heard the name SPC. Jason Dean Hunt yet then, you need to. 


Some of you from Facebook have already seen me posting about this story but I really wanted to share this with everyone. SPC. Hunt, or "JD" as his family calls him, was bound for Iraq until he was fatally shot at Fort Hood on 11-05-09. Above is a picture of what his grave looked like as of last week.


Does something look wrong with that picture? 


People have burried pets with more dignity than JD was given. 


I've gotten to know his sister Leila through blogging and Facebook. If you haven't followed her blog yet, you need to. She's opened up right from the start and shared her very private grief over losing her baby brother. I have learned so much from her. She's really taught me to look past what I know of my own relationships and see that when a soldier falls, others besides just the wife are left in pain. Before reading Leila's blog (I hate to even admit this so please don't throw rotten trash at me) but anytime I'd hear about someone paying that ultimate sacrifice my FIRST thought would be, "Oh no! Did he have a wife and children? No. That's good. One less devastated widow." I didn't really pause to think much about the sisters, or fathers, or second cousins who are grieving quietly behind the scenes. 


Anyways, back to JD's story. 


Talking to Leila on Facebook I learned something that made my blood boil. The reason JD's grave was unmarked was unfortunately because of his "wife." This woman was married to him for two months before the shooting. I won't even tell you about her antics since then or what she's spent his money on, but rest assured she is NOT allowed in my sisterhood of military wives. No soldier, no hero should ever be treated the way she's treated JD. Its inhumane, even after his death. For 8 whole months Leila and her family tried quietly and diplomatically to resolve this issue so that JD could be honored. 


No luck.


Last week they went public with this. Names were given. Word spread through Facebook. Countless people changed their profile pictures to the one above to spread awareness for the Hunt Family. TV interviews were made. Things happened very quickly. The "wife" finally conceded only to order a headstone with "her picture on it" for JD. Ugh. I dislike her more and more. 



The shining glory though all this can be seen in the actions of the Oklahoma Patriot Guard Riders. Some of them heard what was going on and decided to take turns standing watch over JD's grave until it is marked with a proper headstone. 



This picture was taken on July 10th. Just 3 days after the top picture was taken:

Once I got Leila's okay to share this I just had to post about it.
You can see a full photo album here.


I hope JD's "wife" sees this.
She refused to show him the respect he deserved but--


YOU CANNOT KEEP A HERO DOWN.
WE WILL NOT FORGET A NAME, OR A SACRIFICE.
HE WILL BE HONORED.



This is what I love so much about my military family.
Whether its here on earth, or even from heaven,
we can overcome anything.

Now, if that doesn't make you proud to be part of this community,


I don't know what will.




Photobucket

24 comments:

Mel said...

Thank you for sharing this story. I am heading over to check out her blog right away.

I cannot believe that woman. What a disgusting person. She really, truly is ugly in every way. I refuse to associate with someone like her also.

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

I am so glad you posted this! I think its making us all sick and angry and wanting to open a big ole can of whoop ass on the "wife". I was going to do a post but now I'll just mention it and link up to yours!

Brent Hodges said...

I am very happy and proud that you used my photo. I was so wanting to go up there the minute I heard that the Patriot Guard would be there standing over his grave. I had no idea that the site would be so decorated and maintained. I am sure his widow saw the gravesite for I came back close to 9 (Sundown)to pick up a 40 pack of batteries I left and the wife was there. I stayed for about 30 seconds, for I am not family and so badly wanted to open up a can of whoop ass myself. So I can assure you that she has seen the gravesite in all of its glory, but not sure if she has seen any of these pictures taken.

I am so happy that the wind died down just as he saluted his grave as he came back from a water break. Most of the time the wind was blowing and I was struggling to get a photo of just his face and all the flags from this angle. I am so glad that I was fortunate enough to get this shot. My friend that drove me up there only meet JD for a few hours when I did his engagement photos and was moved also to the point of helping set up the flags around the grave. If there is anything else you need from me don't hesitate to ask. I rarely get involved in anything outside of my own family, but this one really disgust me and I will not rest as well as many others until the situation is rectified.

Samantha said...

I'm so glad you shared this. It really brought tears to my eyes. It really disgusts me that there are spouses out there who would treat a hero the way his "wife" has... but I'm so glad that others have shown him the honor that he deserves.

Emily @ Longley's in San Diego said...

Having to lose a brother, son, nephew, friend is hard. Then having to go through all that with the wife is just sad. I can't even imagine how she thinks it's okay to treat him even in death this way. I'm very glad his family came public with the whole situation, there are millions of us who do care and only want the best for our fallen men and women. I pray his family is able to find piece in this whole ordeal and that JD can finally have the proper burial/headstone he deserves.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Amanda said...

wow, that woman... if I even want to call her that... infuriates me. unbelievable.
and yes, i teared up when i saw those pictures. The Patriot Guard Riders are AWESOME!! I am so glad that they decided to honor SPC Hunt that way.

Mrs P said...

I WANT TO F***ING SLAP HER.

You have no idea how pissed this makes me. Ok, maybe you do, but, ya know... it's the saying ;-)

I want to slap her. Did I say that already?

Amen, PGR.

The Voigts said...

My dad is a prud member of the Austin, Texas chapter of the Patriot Gaurd Riders and I have never been so proud of the group.

Jessica said...

Wow! I can't believe that somebody could do something like this. She definitely is not in our sisterhood of military wives/widows. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

JG said...

I saw that on facebook! How awesome!

Jessa said...

How could a woman do that to her husband? :( It's good that someone finally stepped in and honored him the way she should have.

Erin said...

Wow! I am still in shock after reading this story. God bless your heart for not calling this woman so many names in this post. I don't think I could have resisted. I am so glad people are stepping up to help this family! That is rediculous. I hope when that woman has her judgement day The Lord puts her in her place once and for all. Thank you for sharing this story!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Brent the pictures you took were all amazing! That's why I had to post the link to the whole album. The salute was one of my favorite shots. I can't look at it without tearing up.

It is so wonderful that you took these for the family. I know there is going to come a point when the PGR and the big flags won't be there, but rather a very selfish and wrongly centered headstone. But how wonderful that no matter what these pictures are out there to remind everyone of JD's sacrifice. No matter what happens from here on out, the Hunt family can look at these with pride.

I love seeing people like Brent and the PGR stepping up for military families. You never know when tragedy will strike, or where, but we know that there are still kind-hearted Americans out there who respect and love our men and women in uniform. That makes the fight worth while.

Brent Hodges said...

Thanks for the comments Mrs G.I Joe. I often don't get very involved in much of anything but this shit disgusted me something terrible when I learned of it.

I did Jason's Wedding and really liked him alot and it only took a few days of being around him to tell that he was a special person.

I would not feel right just sitting on the bench with what has transpired concerning the headstone. 8 months is inexcusable not to have a headstone on a grave let alone someone that died in the manner Jason did. Whatever I can do to help his family ease some of their suffering I will do. I can't offer much other than pictures but hope that one day they can look back on the situation and with the aide of pictures tell that they and Jason were extremley loved.

Lisa said...

Brent, thank you for those beautiful photos.

This story makes me so angry, and I can't understand how someone can disrespect anyone that way!

Thanks for sharing, and I was glad to spend time over at Leila's blog.

Christian Mommy Writer said...

@Mrs. G.I. Joe - Thanks for spotlighting this. I saw it on the news a few days ago and I'm so glad that this is getting the attention it deserves.

@Brent - Your pictures tell a story and you did a great job with capturing the significance of it all. Thank God for you and the Patriot Guard.

There are no words to describe how awful this situation is. Maybe it will lead to some form of legislation? It really upsets me how people don't respect our troops that pay the ultimate price with their lives. This kinda reminds me of the Westboro "Baptist" Church situation and the Snyder family. We have to stop this from happening over and over again.

EnVii said...

thank you for posting! as a military wife i am outraged at what his wife is doing...

Ashley said...

This breaks my heart! If that was my husband, he would've had a headstone ASAP! I wouldn't sleep until he had one. I would want everyone know that my husband was put to rest there!

Oh and that video was BAD ASS!!!

Alexis said...

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea this was going on. It makes me so sad that our heros are treated this way. Luckily there are proud army wives (and family) out there to truely honor our military!

Mrs. Wifey said...

wow! Thanks for posting....please pardon my language but she is an ass! I mean, how could she? Its bad enough he got shot in cold blood, but a proper ceremony and grave is the least she could do for him! I am beyond irritated. Thanks for bring attention to this once again.

Reina said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this. I want to learn the full story. Justice will be served and the battle will rage...

LTarmywife said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story! It is such a horrible thing to think there are women in our very own community just like that.

God bless the Patriot Guard Riders who have dedicated their free time to watching over his grave. What a great group of people they are. We all need to continue to raise awareness of this.

None of our nations heroes deserve a burial like that.

R said...

I re-posted the pics/story on FB from yours lady... thanks for sharing, and I am with all y'all that can't believe what his so-called wife has done, or how she has acted... despicable.

Kelli said...

Amazing...that pic gives me goosebumps!! Thanks so much for sharing and continuing to raise awareness. What an awful story..and I totally agree, this community is special, nothing like it! And definitely not tolerant of any of her kind to be allowed in either!