Monday, July 26, 2010

Army Loves...Navy?

I've had a post rolling around in my head for months and months about branch superiority among wives. I keep hesitating to write it though. I could probably rant about 10000 words on why I'm sick of hearing that I'm "just an Army wife" so I don't get things. Every branch is important and serves a purpose. I think its understandable when service members themselves have an extreme amount of branch pride, morale depends on it sometimes. But as wives I think we should live above it. I mean, don't we all cry when our husbands leave? Don't we all share similar fears? Why slowly tear each other down with this "You really don't understand what its like to be a true military wife since your husband isn't a _____________" garbage?


Instead of doing a really long post like that I decided to line up some guest bloggers from other branches until we get back from BlogHer.  I'm really excited about the awesome wives who will be posting over the next 2 weeks. I hope you all enjoy the posts these ladies wanted to share and that this will help spread some branch pride on this blog for anyone who is not connected with the Army.


I'll be back after BlogHer with lots of stuff like pictures from NYC, a post about my worst fears, and my freshman year as a military spouse. Thanks again to all my guest bloggers! This is basically like my maternity leave from blogging so I can finish birthing a manuscript :)




12 comments:

Mel said...

Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to read the pride posts and your return!

Ashley said...

Oh how I feel you on this topic! I had a class with a girl and her Dad was in the Army. When she found out that my husband was in the AF, she went on to tell me that the Army is 10 times better and that the Air Force is the Chair Force and there are more suicides in the Army! OMG can you believe she went there on suicides. I went on to say that each branch serves a purpose and when my husband was deployed to Iraq his job was to support the Army by maintaining the sattelites that the Army relies heavily on. I never say that the AF is the best. I do believe that the AF is the best fit for my husband, but that is different. It all boils down to that we all serve our country and support our husbands. Wow that must have been brewing in me for awhile.

Mateya said...

Can't wait to read them! Have a wonderful trip!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Woo!

LTarmywife said...

What a great topic to bring up! I think you find with each branch of the military, but I know for the Army, you face the pride within each branch. My husband is Cav, and apparently there is some long feud between them and infantry, blah, blah, blah. Whatever, I don't understand it so I just stopped caring (ha!).

Amanda said...

The only time I get branch superiority stuff said to me is when people find out I'm a National Guard wife. We're somehow different. Never mind that my husband is AGR (not that it should make a difference).

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Wow. So our suicide rates are something to brag about? That's just nuts. I know its all branches though.

I always get that G.I. isn't loyal because he's not a Marine, isn't intelligent because he's not an Airman, and he's clearly not hot because if he were he'd be a Sailor.

Really?

Ugh. Gets on my last nerve. And I hate Army wives who act like that. I know plenty who try to act superior since Army still deploys for 12-15 months but I always think its nice to be proud of stuff like that. However, each branch serves a purpose. We just happen to be an occupying force. A force that relies on other branches so we can do that stuff.

Just like with rank though some wives will always take this kind of thing too far. And unfortunately for them they'll miss out on some great friendships because of it.

Kathryn said...

So true! I think wives need to come together on this, and not think who may or may not have it worse off! Thank you posting this! :)

jenn said...

good luck!!!
have fun!!

Jessica Lynn said...

Good for you for getting other branches on here and approaching that subject. It's hard to have pride for your husbands work when people degrade it because it's not a particular branch of the military.

Jessica said...

My husbands father is in the Air Force, since my husband enlisted all he has ever really heard from his father(and in return some of his siblings) was how the Air Force is SO much better then the USMC. I heard so much of, if he had only joined with the Air Force...all of this would be so much better for you, when husband was deployed. I always thought it was so sad, that within a family they couldn't just be supportive of the choice to join the USMC, or whatever branch he wanted. They all serve an important purpose. I can't ever recall my husban or any of my military wife friends playing the my branch is better then yours game.Shouldn't we all just be supportive, since we all have been there(deployments, seperation, fears, worry, love, admiration) in one way or another. I am looking forward to the posts!

Sarah said...

I agree. We're all in this together - no matter what branch. There's an Army wife I know that lives here who actually complained to me that her friend (also an army wife) was upset because her husband was deploying for 7 months, only 3 months after the birth of their child. She told me that her friend shouldn't complain - it's only 7 months. I couldn't believe she said that! Sure, 7 months is shorter than our husband's 12 month tour, but he's still missing out on so much! I don't understand people.

Hope you have fun at the conference! I'm going to miss your posts!