Friday, June 4, 2010

To Iron, or Not To Iron...

That is the question.

This is going to be a little quickie post from me. (What? You mean we don't get bombarded with pictures or painfully long personal essays this time? I know, shocking, isn't it?)

G.I. Joe is getting ready to leave tomorrow--which we're both sad and a little happy about since it means we're about done with the Guard forever. But this has brought up a long standing issue in our house. He refuses to let me wash or iron his uniforms. And beyond that I've even had lessons on how to fold his work t-shirts if I happen to put those away. I joke that he just doesn't trust me but my Mom brought up a great point yesterday that he's so dedicated that the uniform is an extension of him. It has to be perfect. It has to meet his standards. I can't tell you how many times we've seen other soldiers out in public somewhere and he's started going off to me about their jacked up berets, wrinkled ACU jackets or untidy pant legs. To him those things are a reflection on the Army, which is a reflection on everyone else in the Army.

So, the only times I've been able to wash, iron and fold uniforms was in New Jersey. Sometimes when he'd be at work, for almost 20 hours a day, I'd sneak his laundry basket down to the wash room at the hotel and just have at it. I felt like such a rebel! But I'm pretty sure he rewashed and ironed things after my visits.

At times I've felt like that I've missed out. The uniform washing seems to be a right of passage for military wives. Then again...other times I'm happy I get to take my baby girl out for a lunch and shopping date knowing there is a man at home doing laundry. Who can resist that?


PS~We've gotten a lot of great questions over at Ask The Milies. We'll be launching with all kinds of awesome Q and A's next Thursday! If you haven't already pop over and submit a question to us :)

ETA: We would really appreciate it if you all could keep friends of my Mom's in your prayers. Jeff was friends with Mom in high school and in May he and his wife Barbie were in a terrible motorcycle accident after Jeff's birthday celebration. They've both been in critical condition and last night (or early this morning) their two teenage sons had to make the difficult decision to take their mom off life support. If and when Jeff wakes up he'll have not only a long road to physical recovery but he'll also just be hearing about his wife's passing. Their sons are only 16 and 19. Its such a tragedy. If your close to your parents like I am to mine you can really see how devastating this situation is. I can't imagine what their family is going through with the passing of one and having to be ready to go through it again with the other parent. Lots of prayers needed. Oh, and that's just another good reminded to always tell the people you love that do love them. Here is a link to their Caringbridge site that has regular updates on Jeff's condition. (The news about Barbie hasn't been announced yet)

20 comments:

Katie F said...

My hubs is the same way. I'm
not allowed to rich his uniforms let alone wash or iron them and he too is always pointing out people with crooked berets or patches. But too be honest it saves me time around the house so I'm not complaining
and I'm so excited Mr GIJoe is almost out of the reserves and one step closer to active duty! I'm getting anxious to find out where he will be going!!

Sarah said...

I'm the polar opposite! haha I told the hubs that I didn't want to be responsible if anything happened to his uniforms, so either he washes them or we adjust our budget and let the dry cleaners have at it! lol

LCpl'sPrincess said...

from a wife that "gets" to do this, be grateful! haha ironing those specific creases is a royal pain! esp Marine Corps Charlies... the worst!

Julie the Army Wife said...

I use to wash his uniforms but then we had another baby and it was much harder for me to keep up. Plus he would always forget to tell me exactly what he needed on what day. So now he just takes care of it himself. Works so much better for us that way.

Doc's Girl (Noel) said...

K won't wash OR iron his. If it needs to be done, I'm the one doing it, because he certainly isn't going to quit watching cartoons or playing with things that go *boom!* long enough to do LAUNDRY. *eyeroll*

I do enjoy doing it for him, because it makes him happy, but a little help once in a while would be nice.

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Mr. Superman doesn't mind but back in Tech School he 'taught' me the proper way of doing everything.

JG said...

Yeah, pretty sure I'm not allowed, and it IS because SoldierMan doesn't trust me to do it right :) He doesn't trust me to to his civies, either. In our entire marriage I've hardly ever washed and folded his clothes. He has his "special" way of doing everything and I never get it quite right.

The Mrs. said...

I married the Mr. after the Marine Corps had switched to the wash and wear cammies. We always had his nicer uniforms dry cleaned. Now, as a police officer, I don't wash or iron his stuff because he is so anal about how its pressed. And for winter, he just wore his turtle neck, bullet proof vest and his coat, instead of wearing a (gasp) TIE! So, I have apparently not done his laundry properly (I shrink his clothes... but only when he gains weight!) so now he is forced to wash his own clothes, however he chooses!

Kathryn said...

I am there with you girl! My husband does not let me wash/iron his either. Oh well! lol Can;t wait for the new site to open!

Ashley said...

I am not ALLOWED to get an iron near his uniforms. After almost 10 years, I do not complain one bit!! In fact, he does my ironing now. I mean, he has lots of practice and all! LOL!!! Actually, I think he has them dry cleaned now! HA!

Your friends will be in my prayers!! What a horrible tragedy. I cannot imagine what the two teenage boys are feeling right now and then having to tell their father when he wakes up!!

Mrs P said...

Meh don't feel bad girl, I didn't wash Mr. P's uniforms most the time either. Sometimes I would, but like you say, he was sooo particular about his uniforms I was just like YOU DO IT! haha. And also, they smelled like nasty weapon cleaner (CLP). It reaks. So, especially when I was preggo, I wanted no part of them!

Prayers for the family <3

L.C. said...

My husband is the exact same way!

Karren said...

My husband is the same way!! I've actually only ironed his uniform once and it ended with him giving me a lesson in how to do it the "right" way! haha &Honestly I'm glad I don't have to do his laundry because his uniforms and PT gear are usually VERY stinky!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I hope everything ends up ok for the friends of the family!

Granny said...

Thank you, Mrs GI Joe adding this to your blog post. I'm sure Jeff, the boys & their families appreciate the prayers at this time. Barbie will be laid to rest on Wednesday June 9. Jeff is still in a coma, but is trying to open his eyes (even mouthing her name to ask about his wife). His road to recovery will be a long one.

Jeff & Barbie supported our military and their families in every endeavor. I know it's an honor for him to now be prayed for by those he respected.

Personally, I am in awe of your readers and supporters. You all are first class. You may not realize it, but you have formed such a well-respected, supportive community. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as you and your loved ones serve our great country. All I can say is Thank You.

Amanda said...

The whole point of the ACUs is that they're not supposed to need ironed. That's why no one does anymore. The whole concept and main selling point behind the ACUs from the Army was that they're wash and wear. Messed up berets really get my husband too though, and soldiers out in uniform without a cover.

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

I iron my husband's uniforms, and I HATE it. He's very particular about his uniform as well, so when I got the first "lesson" about how to iron it, he spent the next several times hovering to make sure i did it right. I swear sometimes I considered double creasing it just so he'll get frustrated with me and do it himself. NO dice. Unfortunately, I got pretty good at it. And as much as I complained about it, it's honestly one of the things that's the most obvious about his absence now. But not to worry, I'm sure when he gets back I'll be doing plenty of complaining about ironing!

And I will keep your mom's friends in my prayers. What a heartbreaking story.

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Amanda, you are right...they are "supposed" to be wash and wear but they can and do get wrinkled.

I didn't think I was as much of a stickler about these things as G.I. Joe until I met the sloppiest military service member ever about a month ago.

But yeah, wrinkled uniforms just look bad. Even if you don't "have to" iron...sometimes it really is necessary. :)

I guess we just feel like if you are going to be representing our nation's finest you (spouse included) should take pride in that. Even when its inconvenient.

The Mrs. said...

In almost 8 years of marriage I have yet to ever iron a uniform. Or sew on chevrons. I just don't do it. Hubs doesnt want me to and I don't think I'm missing out on much. He's a Marine and anal wouldnt even begin to describe their attitude towards their uniforms and I totally respect that.

Radiant Readhead said...

this is hilarious!! i was in your shoes until I joined the Army! My husband is anal retentive about his uniforms, and would NEVER let me touch them. then I joined, and learned how to "properly" wash and prep a uniform, and now he "lets" me do his...lol. I used to tease him that the ONLY reason he let me join is so i could officially do ALL of his laundry...lol. I love your blogs! they are so refreshing! I am a new follower, and if you have the time or interest, you are more than welcome to read mine. Unfortunately, I started at a very hard part of our lives, and hopefully will soon take more positive spins, because God knows with both of us in the military, life can get REALLY interesting!!