Sunday, June 13, 2010

A surprise visitor: Updated


If you were wondering about Lucy's eye color (like who's she ended up with) click to enlarge this picture :) They are quite spectacular...but then again I may be a little partial!



I have had the absolute best day a wife could ask for.

This morning my best friend and I went to the Red Door (Elizabeth Arden) Spa for amazing hour long massages. Mine was compliments of my awesome G.I. Joe. He'd given me a gift card for some pampering for my birthday and I was finally able to use it. My Mom kept Lucy so I could relax, enjoy the spa and some coffee with Chrissy. It was bliss.

This afternoon when I got back to the craziness of reality Lucy was waiting for me with a zillion hugs and kisses like always. Any moment with her is "best ever."

Then this evening I got a phone call from my love. In a really unexpected turn the unit needed a video camera to record some training exercises tomorrow. We happen to live the closest to their training area. We also happen to have a video camera. Can you guess where I'm going with this?











(Please excuse my boho hair)

For 90 sweet minutes this evening I was swept off my feet by a rather dirty soldier who had just come in from days in the field.

I don't feel a bit silly in admitting that even though he's only been gone a week I gussied myself up, and even took pictures on him coming up sidewalk. I love that about military life. We should know better than anyone that life is about appreciating the small things. Sometimes getting to see your husband for an hour and half on a Friday night is better than hours spent at a spa or partying life away.

No, not just sometimes. Its always better.

Now we've both had a boost to get through these next couple weeks. I took G.I. Joe out for some non-Army food and laughed at all the stories he already had to tell. It tugged at my heart strings a bit when he talked about part of him wishing he could deploy with this unit. I wish I could tell you what a mess they are but its unbelievable. The way he cares for his soldiers (who are not that much younger than him but swear he's like 30 years old and made of steel) melts me into a puddle. He knows who comes from bad family situations and who just really needs a good kick-in-the-pants dose of tough love.

I'm already missing that guy. But I'm so looking forward to dating my soldier again when he comes back. I can't remember the last time we were out in public with him in uniform. One of my proudest moments has to be just walking through a crowded parking lot with my G.I. Joe.






25 comments:

heather said...

Ahh I am so jealous. I wish mine could come home for a few hours. Glad yall had a good time. And I will have to agree with you about the uniform thing. I have had many of proud moments that way too...

Brigette said...

Whenever we go back home to visit I love walking around with James in his uniform. I always feel so proud to be married to a solider.
<3

JG said...

How wonderful! So glad you got an awesome surprise :)

And it sounds just like how my sister's boyfriend (also Guard) talks about his unit. The first weekend of every month is always very frustrating for him.

Ashley said...

I am so excited for you!! IT was like my husband was coming home!! You are right, it doesn't matter how long they are gone......it is always an awesome homecoming. And a couple hours on a Friday night when you weren't expecting to see him is priceless. Have a great weekend! HUGS!

Mateya said...

What a wonderful surprise! I am so happy you got to spend some time with him...every minute counts :)

I agree...such a proud feeling to be seen with your man in uniform!

Mel said...

That is so awesome! Those little surprises are so worth it!

And getting to be out and about with YOUR man in uniform...priceless.

Sarah said...

Such a great surprise!! And, I know what you mean. There's really nothing quite like walking with your hubby in uniform in public. =) He probably gets tired of it, but I may not ever. Hehehe.

Kayla Sue said...

How wonderfully sweet! I am jealous:) I want to be walking through parking lots with my man in uniform!!

Lucky girl:)

The Voigts said...

A man in uniform walking beside you fills you with a sense of pride and safety! Congrats on the special treat!

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

Lucky girl. So glad you were able to see your man! What a nice surprise.

♥Miss Brittney♥ said...

wow! sounds like you hit the jackpot and had a perfect day! That was super sweet of your hubby to get you some much deserved pampering! :)

Amanda said...

What a great post and a sweet surprise!!!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Best.Surprise.Ever!! I am with you girl! My proudest moments are walking with him while he's in uniform.

Sarah said...

I'm with you on the walking through the parking lot thing- I would try to always find excuses to drop by the PX, mall, or grocery store on the way home so that I could walk next to him in uniform, but he's always so humble that he would find excuses not to, thwarting my plans!

So glad you got to see your man!

Doc's Girl (Noel) said...

What an absolutely FANTASTIC surprise!

LCpl'sPrincess said...

look at those blue eyes! did Lucy get his blue eyes? you have had an awesome weekend! congrats!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Thanks ladies :)

Lucy actually has extremely perfect and rather unique eyes. Its hard to tell in some pictures but her eyes are dark blue around the outside (blue likes his but not the same shade) and then they are gold in the middle like mine.

We can't go anywhere without people commenting on her eyes. We were worried they would change after she was born but we're sooooo glad they stayed blue and gold. They're a perfect combo of us :)

The Mitchells said...

I was so glad to hear about ur surprise visit!!! My husband is locked down for the next 14 days in his AIT. A few ruined it for the rest. I felt honored that u would share ur experiences with all of us. It definitely made this weekend alone a little bit easier.

ACU's and ABC's said...

I just wanted to say hi! I am your newest follower. I am so glad your hubby got to got home for a little while!

Blessing said...

I bet you do....I mentioned you in my Military Blog Tours of the Week, go check it out Musings Of An Army Wife

LCpl'sPrincess said...

hahah thanks for the eye update Jac! I got to see my neice today and took some pics of her! she has super blue eyes after my sister in law!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Aw, I'm glad you got to see each other and spend time together for the evening!

{Amanda} said...

Absolutely adorable blog, & I loved your post! My husband deployed {for the first time} last week & it's no fun. Cherish every moment together! ♥

Following you!

* http://donandamanda.blogspot.com *

Kelli said...

I am a new follower...I love your blog!! I look forward to coming back soon!!

Mindy said...

I SO know that feeling. my husband's ship came home for ONE night to pull into home port for repairs and we got to spend just one night with him before they were off for another few months. it was so worth it to spend our night with him. <3 military life and love is like no other relationship ever.

and from what I read in your blog, your husband seems like an amazing soldier and an amazing leader. it's refreshing to see people in the military that honestly care about what they do.