Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A button, petition, and letter.


Its been almost six months since America was shocked by the tragic shooting at Fort Hood. When the shooting happened I posted a message from Soldier's Angels about how we could send support to the families of the victims. Now...six months later we have a couple other opportunities to do something proactive for them. You'll notice I have a new button on the sidebar. That button takes you to the online petition to grant the Fort Hood Heroes Purple Hearts and Combatant Status.


One thing you can do to help honor these families is to grab the button for you own blog.
The second thing we can all do is take 60 seconds to sign the petition.
The third thing that I highly encourage everyone to do is to write to your congressmen.

Not every letter has to be quite as detailed as mine is. Its just important for others to speak up and encourage their senators and representatives to vote for this legislation. Instead of going into why I think this is important I'm just going to copy/paste my letter so you can read it for yourself. (Personal information and things that would give away where I live have been removed).

Dear Representative __________,


My name is "Mrs. G.I. Joe" and I am an Army National Guard Wife from ________. I’ve happily served my country alongside my husband since December of 2005.


I am writing you today in regards to bill H.R. 4088 that will give the military victims of the November 5th, 2009 Fort Hood shooting Purple Hearts and the civilians awarded the Defense Medal for the Defense of Freedom. I hope that you will vote to pass this bill. The fallen and the wounded of the Fort Hood shooting deserve this award and their status as victims of a terrorist attack.


Those against this bill seem to have a couple of arguments. One is that a precedent will be set. They might claim that any service member anywhere could be gunned down and the family would expect them to be awarded a purple heart. There is more than one problem with this argument. First, the precedent was set back on September 11th 2001. The service members who died that day were not in combat but they were awarded Purple Hearts. Another problem with this is that it suggests that more attacks like this calculated massacre are expected and might one day be considered commonplace. I for one do not want my daughter to grow up in a country that takes such attacks lightly. We should be prepared for anything while also putting forth hope that our country, the Home of the Brave, will one day be safer. To suggest denying these men and women a medal because of a possible president gives way to a life of fear and ingratitude for these sacrifices.


That brings me to the other reason. Some have said that this was not an act of terrorism. By the U.S. Code of Law, terrorism means “premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by sub national groups or clandestine agents.” On November 5th 2009 Major Nidal Hasan walked into a soldier processing building and killed 13 people, including one unborn child, and wounded 30 others due to a vendetta against the War on Terrorism. His motives and subsequent actions support the fact that he is an enemy of the United States.


There is no need to split hairs, look for loopholes or technicalities. The time has come for this administration to acknowledge the full weight of this tragedy. It was an act of terrorism. Those 43 victims, both the fallen and the wounded, had at one point made a calculated decision of their own. Whether it was when they took their oaths and swore into the United States Army or the day they found out they would be deployed, they knew a day might come when they would be called to lay down their lives and pay the ultimate price for freedom. They dedicated their lives to standing up for you and me.


Now is the time to stand for them. Honor the fallen and the wounded Fort Hood heroes by voting to pass H.R. 4088. Grant these brave men and women combatant status.


Thank you for your time and consideration,

Mrs. G.I. Joe


Through Facebook, blogs, and this petition I've met some wonderful people who were affected the most by the Fort Hood Shooting. I've been amazed by the stories of survival and hearing about wounded soldiers who just couldn't wait to get back to active duty. I've been honored to hear a sister open up about how dearly she misses her brother and a fiance who hasn't left her love's side since that day. All of these wounded soldiers and the families of the fallen are no less dedicated to our nation then they were on November 4th or any day before it. These three things: a button, a petition, and a letter...they are such small things and will never repay the sacrifices that were made. But if one more person writes, and one more person signs, we can help honor these heroes.

For a full list of each states' Senators and their addresses click here.
For a full list of each states' Representatives and their addresses click here.

9 comments:

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

So sorry to everyone who commented on the other post I did of this this morning. There was something screwy in it that messed up ALL the links on the blog so I had to delete it and repost. Feel free to leave comments here :) I promise nothing will get deleted now!

mrswood said...

thank you for posting this and making me aware of what i can do in support of those affected by what occurred at Ft.Hood. i will be writting a letter and posting the button as well as signing.

Whitney said...

I can't believe that it has been 6 months...

This is such a great idea! I posted the button on my blog :)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I'm really surprised that they hadn't given the victims the purple heart. Signed the petition!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

I grabbed the button :)

You also have an award waiting for you on my blog :)

♥ Mrs. S.

Michelle said...

Just stopping by from bloghopping. Love your page. Feel free to follow my page.

http://addicted2shius.blogspot.com

xoxo
Michelle

Ashley said...

I think this is a great thing and I will be writing our Congressman.

Letherton said...

I'm surprised also they deserve purple hearts

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

My Army Brats and Me said...

Thanks for posting:) Check out my giveaway and I hope share it.