Friday, April 30, 2010

Blog Hipity Hopity


I've been majorly slacking on computer work for the past week. If you want to know why, check the post below this one :P


But I figured I'd jump on the blog hop bandwagon. I've really missed feeling connected and in touch with you all these past couple weeks. So please sit down, stretch out and stay for a while. There are posts in a list on the left sidebar called "Popular Spouse Posts" Feel free to jump in on any of those great discussions. I LOVE posts like that and have a couple more coming up in the near future! On the right sidebar I have a list called "From Algebra Class to Army Life..." Those are the posts about how G.I. Joe and I came to be the truly awesome couple we are now. (It was quite a long journey so I'm not going to repost them here)


Lets see...about me...hmm. Well, for those who are new here's my nuttiness in shell: G.I. Joe and I got married at 19 and (a week later) he shipped out for a year in Iraq. We both still deal with some (thankfully minor) PTSD affects from that year. After that the Army decided the next two years of orders would be unaccompanied. All in all we spent the first 39 months of our 4-year marriage living apart. We have lots of excitement coming up: G.I. Joe gets out of the Guard in June and we have no idea where the Army will take us, I just finished the manuscript to my first book and our little Lucy learns new stunts and words every day.


Life is never dull in the G.I. Joe house!


A few times I've been tagged in one of those "7 things" memes so I guess now is the perfect time for that! Here are 7 you probably might not possibly know about me:


I. I love watching Hitchcock movies alone in the dark.


II. I have a crazy fear of sleeping next to doors because in my head an intruder is more likely to break in through the first floor and walk up the steps to the bedroom door. If I'm closer to a window I can get out. (This fear is probably because of too much of number 1).


III. I gave birth naturally, and without a doctor or G.I. Joe present. Despite that, and being in the worst pain of my life, it was the greatest experience ever.


IV. We didn't have a military wedding. G.I. Joe felt like the military was running every other aspect of his life so he didn't want it at our wedding. I agreed at the time because its a lot of work planning a wedding in less than 2 months, so that was one less thing to worry about. It often bugs me that military couples that don't elope or have a full-blown military wedding are treated like our weddings weren't as "beautiful" or poetic.


V. I really want to renew our vows in a military ceremony. Mainly, I want to kiss under an arch of swords and get my "Welcome to the Army, Ma'am" swat.


VI. I listen to Owl City a whole lot because they make me feel happy, grateful, excited and a little sad.


VII. The first time I spoke to G.I. Joe we were both 14 and awkward. I talked 90 miles an hour out of nervousness and he ended up walking out on me mid-sentence.






Stop by Riding the Roller Coaster to check out all the other great military blogs!
Photobucket




27 comments:

Amber said...

Pssshhhh.....I already follow you! Stopping by to give you some extra lovin'. Everybody needs some extra lovin' from time to time!

My blog is called, Goodnight moon! Come by and check it out!

Katie F said...

We didn't have a military wedding for the same reasons. We had a small civil ceremony on the beach. No matter how someone gets married it is still special for that couple!

Mrs. Muffins said...

Matt and I got married by the Justice of the Peace in a completely spur of the moment decision. We want to renew our vows too but not because I feel like we did it wrong, we just want to! :)

Amber said...

Thanks for the loving:)

XOXO

Kathryn said...

I am already a follower, but wanted to stop by from the blog hop and say hi! I am a huge Hitchcock fan too, yay I am not the only one! Haha! :)

Mateya said...

The thought of a military wedding never even crossed our minds! We want it to be about US and our LOVE for each other.

Kaylee said...

We also didn't have a military wedding for much of the same reasons. And we had a fabulous day and have precious memories!

jleigh2011 said...

Hello, new follower here. I liked the post and I am looking forward to reading more. Stop by and check out my blog. The Marine && A Civilian;;

--The Civilian

JG said...

Oh dear, I have a whole blog post in my head over the wedding and vow renewal plans and whatnot. Obviously, we were pre-military when we got married, so that wasn't even in the cards. But I *definitely* want a military vow renewal.

Ashley said...

When we were planning on having an actual wedding, I wanted the military wedding and Nate said no for the very same reason as GI Joe. Sigh. :)

dutchgirl (Ellen) said...

We didn't have a military wedding either, my hubby had the exact same philosophy! Ironically we were married in Korea, though, ON the Army post, so it totally didn't make sense to not have an Army wedding... oh well it was a very long time ago.

Anyways, it was nice to "meet" you through the hop!

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

We didn't have a military wedding either. But that's because hubby wasn't in the military when we got married! He decided to jump in a couple of years after we got married...wow, talk about a life changing event! And I'm with you, I want to renew our vows with a big swat on the behind! We were planning to renew our vows on our 10th anniversary, but that day is coming this June, and guess who won't be here for it? Bummer.

Stephanie said...

Found you on the blog hop. Hubby was the exact same way about our wedding. He told me the military ran every other aspect of our lives he wanted one day that they didn't. I thought it was a bit sad (good bye, awesome sword arch), but now I totally get it. He was in 9 years before we got married, so he had a bit more Navy knowledge than I did :-)

plannedimprovisation.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I like you. Why? Because your daughter wears baby Chucks! My son has only ever worn Chuck Taylors and sandals that we buy in the summertime. I'm pretty much won over.
&&Just because you didn't have an elaborate wedding doesn't mean that it was just as beautiful. At least, not in my book. Two people who love each other getting married? That's beautiful in of itself. Congrats on finishing your manuscript!

Heather said...

Following your blog via the MilSpouse Blog Hop! I look forward to reading more!
-Heather
http://heatherashleydz.blogspot.com

ines said...

I found you on blog hop, looking forward to reading your blog!
- ines

thefewtheproudthewife.blogspot.com

addicted2shius said...

We didn't have a lot of time to plan for a big wedding but I definitely want the swords & swat on our vow renewal :)

Sespi said...

Hi! I've been following your blog for awhile, although I don't think I've ever commented before. I'm stopping by from the blog hop.

I would like to renew our vows in a military ceremony too. We had a small courthouse wedding, which worked for us, but sometimes I wish we'd gone full out and had the dress and flowers and church. Oh well. Our day was still special to us :)

tootie said...

You have a great blog! And congrats on finishing a manuscript!

Mrs. Bierschenk said...

Your layout is precious! Just stopping by on the blog hop!

LCpl'sPrincess said...

#7 made me laugh!

bridget3420 said...

Found your blog on MBC. I'm following you now and would love it if you would follow me too:

http://bridget3420.blogspot.com
http://freebies4meandu.blogspot.com

The Mrs. said...

David and I got married in Vegas between duty stations... My family knew, his didn't... I wouldn't describe it as beautiful or poetic... it created drama... but don't most weddings! hahaha!!!

Congrats on the manuscript!!! I wish I understood how to do the bloghop stuff.... I have like two bloggy friends... lol...

Alexis said...

Yay for natural childbirth! and we didn't have a military wedding either! for the same reasons! can't wait to read more!

Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Oh I'm so glad your back! Seriously. I too am a Hitchcock lover although the side effect for me is that I can't watch even slightly creepy movies without having my feet tucked under me and a blanket covering me up. It makes me feel safer! Ha ha :) I love that you guys met at 14. That is seriously fantastic.

♥ Mrs. S.

Aimee said...

Stopping by from the blog hop! I absolutely love your page, it is beautiful! And I really enjoyed reading this post, so I definitely want to read more!

Michy said...

Hello from another blog hopper! Nice to meet you - Saw on your previous post that you just finished writing a book! Congratulations! :-)