Thursday, March 18, 2010

What do you say?

I really don't listen to a lot of country music, but I do love Reba McEntire.
She has this beautiful song called "What do you say?"
It goes through a few scenarios in life where its difficult to find the words to say.

"What do you say
In a moment like this,
When you can't find the words,
To tell it like it is.
Just close your eyes and let your lead the way."


To just rip the band aid off...

A tragedy has hit our tight knit group of military spouse bloggers.

I don't know about you girls but I know with my online friends I sometimes feel like I hang out with them in real life. Each time we leave comments, respond to them or post pictures and blogs it feels like lifelong friends having coffee. They aren't my "online friends." They are real true blue friends.

That's why we are all grieving right now for Rachel.
You can read her full story on here.
Please stop by and leave her a word of comfort.
Not that anything we say will make everything right again.
But we can cry and pray together.



I don't even know what else to say except that no spouse ever wants to get that knock on the door....
And she never ever wants that for her friends either.
No, not friends. Sisters. We have a sisterhood and one of the sisters is hurting.
So we gather around her in any way we can.



The Final Inspection
By SGT Joshua Helterbran

The Marine stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To my Church have you been true?"

The Marine squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep…
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When bills got just too steep.

And, I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook in fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had so much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the Marine waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, Marine,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heavens Streets,
You've done your time in Hell".


(G. I. Joe found the sweet poem. I think it sums things up very well)



15 comments:

Aqua M said...

You warned us on Facebook not to read about all this if we didn't want to cry our eyes out...I didn't listen...wow...so hard to bear...I'll be thinking about her, and keeping her in my prayers.

Katie F said...

I saw your twitter status a little bit ago and found out about Mrs P that way. I am still in shock.That poem is amazing

Noel said...

I read Rachel's blog late last night. The minute I saw the title pop up, my heart sank and I knew what the entry was going to be about. Life isn't fair, and she is living proof of that.

I've read her post at least 5 times, because every few hours I think "no, I didn't REALLY read that entry on her blog, did I?" and each time that entry is still there. It makes me cry every time I read it.

Aqua M said...

One more thing...Rachel is so blessed to have her community of blogosphere sisters. I noticed that several other military wife bloggers have posted about her tragedy, and they, better than anyone else, must feel for what she's going through. It's fun to be able to swap stories about the everyday trials that come with military life, but so much more meaningful that this community can come together to support her.

Mateya said...

You said this way better than I could. You are so right. We need to gather around her in any way we can. Right now we just need to pray!

JG said...

I was up late last night when she posted. As soon as I saw the title...you're right, what do you say? There are no words. But I cried with her last night.

Richele said...

I am so sorry for your friend. I agree that online friends are not just online but in heart. I went to her blog and commented and I've prayed for them. Thank you for sharing this. We need to remember the heroes that serve us so we can be free.

Riding the Roller Coaster said...

Thank you for letting us know. I just read her blog, and I can't stop crying. My husband is about the deploy, and i have nightmares about that knock on the door. Us mil spouses gotta stick together.

Kerry said...

Beautiful post about such a tragic situation. I still have no idea what to say...

Lisa said...

What a beautiful post for Rachel. I got chills reading it and tears in my eyes as I read the poem.

I'm so glad we can all come together to support her in this incredibly difficult time.

Jeannette said...

Amen about being sisters. When I first started blogging I followed who you all followed to meet some awesome military wives. I have been watching through tear soaked eyes as sister after sister posts her support and love for Rachel and Ariana. You ladies are so loving. I am glad to call you my friend.

R said...

I left a comment for your friend... not being a military wife I can't really know what it's like to have a husband be deployed or be a "single parent" for months/years on end... being the wife of a police officer though I can absolutely comprehend the fear and denial of getting "the call/visit" with that very worst of news... my heart goes out to her, and all military/law enforcement, etc. families... thoughts & prayers to all... and *HUGS*

PS - I just had a friend post that same exact poem - except it was about a cop not a soldier on Facebook a week ago for a fallen officer... it's a beautiful poem, no matter who it is intended for.

trooppetrie said...

no words, only breathe caught in my throat, tears streaming down my face as this is my biggest fear. i will surely be praying as we start our seventh deployment in a few weeks

Ashley said...

I just found your blog. My husband is in the AF. I have been praying for Mrs. P. My heart is aching for her and her daughter and their family. That poem made me cry!

Marine and Beauty Queen said...

I, too, have been following Rachel's blog since that unfortunate day. I wish all of you peace during this time. I wanted to let you know that poem made me tear up. My husband often tells me he doesn't think he deserves to go to heaven and I think he'll really enjoy that. Thank you for sharing.