Thursday, February 11, 2010

Young enough.




With my birthday lurking right around the corner I'm thinking a lot lately about age. It seems so funny to me that I'm turning 24. I seriously don't consider myself mentally over the age 19. That's how old I was when G.I. Joe and I started dating and got hitched. I think I've been frozen in time since then. Our life together has not been that of a "typical" married couple. Most days I still feel like I'm a kid living in an adult world.

G.I. Joe likes to tease me 1 week out of the year about being old. He was born the same year as me, but just 7 days later. Lets just say....he reminds of that a lot. But mentally he's the old one. One night he gasped in horror that I didn't know who Amos and Andy were. Seriously, who are they? Right away G.I. Joe went to my Dad and said "You must know who Amos and Andy are, right?" Of course my Dad knew.

A lot of our "maturity difference" comes from our families. G.I. Joe's grandparents are the same age as my Great-Grandmother. This gave him the opportunity to grow up hearing his Grandpa tell WWII stories and listen to his Dad talk about riding his bike to the general store and wearing penny loafers. On the other hand, I grew up in a more modern environment hearing my mom talk about her family trying to figure out how a microwave worked.

I really love to mess with G.I. Joe when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes I play things up just to shock him.
One day in early December he asked me, "Babe, do you know what today is?"

Me: "Sure, its Thursday. Like 2 weeks till Christmas."

G.I. Joe: "Yeah but what is the date?"

Me: "Is it, like, a big deal or something? Its not our anniversary or anything."

G.I. Joe: "No, but it is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. You didn't know that?"

Me: "Oh, I totally didn't know that! Wow, we should celebrate because that movie was really great! Can we swing by Blockbuster?"

After that I endured quite a lecture on the importance of knowing American history but the look on his face was worth it!


What is age, really? Is it how you look? How you feel? How much you know? Where you've been? Or how sophisticated you act? Or is it the actual number? At one point in our lives its all about that number. You can't wait to be 13 to get that teen title. Then we can't wait to be 16 and driving, or 18 and out of the house. Past those milestones what makes your birthday special?

For me, its just being grateful for another year on earth to love my family. And as a mommy, my birthday is more about Lucy. I was born so that she could one day have life. That's way more awesome than a silly drivers license!




18 comments:

K P said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday! I think the desire to keep learning new things and exploring our world can keep a mind young, even as the years gradually show themselves on the outside.

Christine said...

I turned 24 in December and I think I'm stuck at 19 too!! I don't think I look any older and sometimes I think it's very weird to take care of adult things like rent. I've always thought that once I have a child that will change the way I feel about being a child in an adult body but apparently not since you still feel the same way I do! haha Happy early birthday!!

Whitney said...

I just came across your blog. It is really adorable! Happy Early BIrthday!

Julie the Army Wife said...

Happy Birthday! Age is an interesting thing. Somedays I still feel 18...lol.

Mrs P said...

Yeah I feel you on the kid stuck in the grown up body thing. Sometimes when I'm doing my bills (gag) or feeding the baby I'm like.. woah all this stuff is mine. These are MY bills, MY baby... I guess I am an adult haha. But like you said what defines age? Is that it? Bills and babies? That's what makes me feel older but on the inside I still feel like what am I DOING?! hahaha.

And I was hoping I could be put on your blogroll??
www.alittlepinkinaworldofcamo.blogspot.com

Mrs. Addison said...

I definitely understand the kid living in the adult world thing. I was 18 & hubby was 22 when we got married and I was 19 when I had my first child - it's been quite an experience! I do think you're only as young/old as you make yourself be, though - I've seen people older than me that act like foolish teenagers and people younger than me who are much wiser that most people their age!

JG said...

I know what you mean. I feel like a kid sometimes, too. This is the first year I'll be in charge of filing our taxes...I'm already freaking out!

Alia said...

This is sweet, I really haven't ever thought of my birthday in that way before :)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I hope you have a fabulous Birthday!!!

Melissa said...

I don't know who Amos and Andy are... I have no clue.

And happy early birthday!

Stephanie Hartman said...

Oh that is to funny..Love it..

Ashley said...

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck back in that time too. But I think it has more to do with the fact that I still cant wrap my brain around the fact that *I* am married and a mother. I still feel like that 20 year old girl who was going to parties and hanging out with my best friends til the wee hours of the morning.
Nate is 28, he'll be 29 in Sept, so he often teases me about how much I don't know, too. Mostly its music, though. I'm pretty good with my history ;)

Ashley said...

P.S. I love that picture of you! :)

Truly His said...

Cute blog! Loved the post!! I am 5 months older than my husband and I hear about it all the time. ;)

Caitlin said...

I'm 10 months older than my boyfriend, and he hasn't teased me about it, but I'm sure it's going to happen.

Sonia said...

I really wish age was really a number!! LOL...I can't get past 29, I just celebrated 29 for the forth time in my life :)

Happy Birthday and Lucy is one lucky little girl!

Mrs. Kayla said...

I just turned 24 also and I went through the SAME THING. I can completely relate to being mentally 19. I met my husband when I was 18 and I still feel 18.

Jim and Jami said...

my husband and I have those conversations we were raised in different worlds in different parts of the country and I am 7.5 years younger than him, and I do tease him alot about that when he says things like do you remember when and I will say no that was before my time I was in kindergarden and he will roll his eyes, as far as how old I feel lots of times I feel as if I am much younger than I am, mostly because my husband makes me laugh everyday and he lets me be the silly person I am. I think age is just a number, it is how you live your life that matters.
by the way our son Jake comes back to USA Soil from his year tour in Afghanistan on Monday, it was to be tomorrow but because of weather it was delayed. have a wonderful Valentine's day and week.