Monday, February 15, 2010

Love{Bug} Grows...

Lucy's First Valentines: 2/2009




Homecomings are awesome. Homecomings on your birthday or around another major holiday are fantastic! G.I. Joe made it home on Saturday afternoon, about 4 hours earlier than I expected him. My heart was pounding so hard when I heard the front door open. He walked up the steps to our room because he knew Lucy was napping so I would be up there reading. We hugged and he could feel my thundering heart. It was so nice to be looking at him that I couldn't pull my eyes away. My neck started to hurt from looking up.

The rest of the night we caught up on what had gone on around the house, listened to his stories about having to dig people out of the snow drifts out in the field, and cooked up a feast. (This week I'll be sharing these fabulous recipes with you all: lamb chops, green bean and mushroom casserole, gnocchi au gratin and mini chocolate stuffed pineapple upside down cakes) The only problem with homecomings is this...service members are naturally happy to be home but also extremely tired. On the contrary, their wives are usually bursting at the seams to do everything with them, tell them everything, show them everything and cook them everything. The man is finally back where he belongs and the woman wants to pick right back up where they left off.

This, for me, is the hardest thing to adjust to. I need to remind myself that he's not going anywhere else in the immediate future so its okay to slow down. Maybe the first night a soldier is home its a better idea to have take out delivered than to spend hours in a hot kitchen.

Lucy is adjusting to having her Daddy home. At first she didn't want to look at him and even if he picked her up she'd ignore him. Now they are pretty much back to normal, lots of giggles and silliness. Just the way we like things in our house. I do have to give props to all the mommies out there dealing with toddlers during long deployments. Separation with a toddler is a whole other ball game. Dealing with G.I. Joe being gone was tons easier when Lucy was a baby and had no clue what was going on.

Its amazing to see how much our Love has grown since last year...

Then: she was 4 months old, not rolling over, crawling or sitting up on her own.





Now: she's 16 months, running, sliding, climbing, twirling, and doing the Wii Fit Ski Jump.


Of all her Valentine's gifts this year, her favorite was the Princess Potty!
She's already learned an interesting habit...




BIG Squishy Valentine's Love and Hugs From Lucy!




One last parting note...Yesterday G.I. Joe took me to see the movie "Valentine's Day." It was such an incredible movie. We both laughed through the entire thing. The A-list star studded cast exceeded all my expectations. But there was one story line that completely blew me away. First, just let me say, I do not like most movies that try to pull off a portrayal of the military and their families. Hollywood usually picks a couple extreme circumstances or sad stories and tries to pass that off as the norm. Then the Americans that watch these movies unfortunately believe what they are being sold. So I roll my eyes at movies like "Brothers." No, ladies and gents, you actually don't understand the real affects of PTSD just because you watch that movie. Back to "Valentine's Day." The story line that got me was the one around Julia Roberts' character. She played a soldier who spent most of the movie on a plane just to be with a loved one for 14 hours on Valentine's Day. I won't give away the ending...but I will say that was the only time I've ever not cared that G.I. Joe saw me cry during a movie. He normally gives me this "Awww, my wife is so fragile" look that I just hate. This time though I was actually in awe. I left the theater thinking "Way to go, Hollywood. You finally got it right."

That secondary plot was the film industry's single best portrayal of the true heart of America's military and the lives their families lead during their absence. Seriously. Everyone should see this movie.



15 comments:

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Oh, and this is our 200th post!! Woah! That's a lot of me rambling :P

JG said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend :) Glad you have him home again.

Lisa said...

Awww... so glad GI Joe came home in time to spend the day with you. Love the pictures of your daughter, she is SO cute! :)

mrs_muffins said...

I know... i've been thinking of all the things I want to do now that i'll have some help but he's like, "I just want to sit at home." Blah...

I was afraid that movie would be awful... it seems like when they throw a ton of great actors together the plot suffers but i'll give it a try now! I totally agree though about military in film...

xx

All About Aleigha said...

Lucy is so cute and I can't wait to see that movie.

Mrs P said...

Those pics are absolutely adorable!! I'm glad you have your honey back :) And I reeeally want to see Valentine's Day so I'm glad it got the thumbs up from you. :)

Mayra, mommy to Pooh Bear said...

What a cutie pie.
I love your story. It truly shows how love has its twists but those that are meant to be will eventually be together...even if it takes a while like you & G.I. Joe.=)


I gave you an award on my blog. =)

http://mylifeinhigheels.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Ashley said...

Glad you liked it. Now I can go see it. :)

I'm so glad he's back! I know what you mean, though, because I do the same thing too. I'm always like "lets do this! omg remember this! oh look at this! come here!" Lol.

September Love said...

I'm so glad G.I. Joe is home! Makes me look forward to having my military man home again... Lucy is just too cute - I love how you took pictures with the same Valentine's Day bear! Great idea! And THANK YOU for your comment about "Valentine's Day" - I know you thought it was rambling, but I appreciate your opinion because I had heard not so great reviews from the critics, but I really wanted to go see it! Now I totally will :)

Mrs. Addison said...

She is so sweet! The pictures are adorable.

You have an award over at my blog! :)

http://www.wonderfullychaotic.com/2010/02/blog-awards.html

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Looks like Lucy had a great Valentines Day! Woohoo for him making it home!

Chelle said...

I am so happy he made it home to you guys. Enjoy getting back to routine. Lucy is just adorable as always. Love her princess chair!

Chaucee said...

This post is SO precious. I felt so happy when you described when GI Joe came home. I'm so glad you two were together for V-day! Me and my boyfriend also went and saw Valentine's Day on the 14th. I thought it was hilarious! :P

K said...

Lucy is adorable!! I'm glad G.I. Joe made it home in time for y'all to spend V'Day together. :)

Mandy said...

Congrats on the 200th post! Lucy's adorable & how exciting that GIJoe came home!
I need to check out your blog more, this was a great post!