Friday, February 26, 2010

Be the change...

You wish to see in the world.

Gandhi said that.


I totally believe that. Its not enough to complain about something or say that you want to see something change.


Change is not a slogan. Change is something you do.


Webster says "change" means:



to make different in some particular, to make radically different, to give a different position, course, or direction to, to replace with another, to make a shift from one to another


Here is a perfect example. In case you didn't hear about it, I recently felt compelled to send Military Spouse Magazine a letter. There had been a tugging in my heart for months that a lot of spouses out there are not getting the support they need from this magazine, which was once a favorite of mine. The March issue put me over the edge. I sent the letter, posted to my blog, and begged them for change.


Now I'll get hypothetical with you. Let's say that in addition to the letter I also sent them an article pitch because I see a need for more information on a certain subject. Let's say I receive an email back very quickly saying they love the idea and want to know how soon I can write the article. I wanted something to change, back to something of substance.


I now get to write some substance.


And in a few weeks I should be able to give you more details on this "cryptic" post :)


In the meantime just know that if you want to see change in something, be willing to do it. Change isn't something you sit back and vote for, its something you make every effort yourself to bring about.


I must also add this closing note: Military Spouse did give me an immediate "stock" reply at first. I thought they weren't listening so I emailed back and went in depth with a few suggestions. It turns out that they don't get a lot of readers who send in these "requests for change" that actually want to discuss this with them. They have welcomed all my suggestions and I even got a reply email from the co-founder at 11 pm last night. If anyone else has seen this need and feels like something is lacking, speak up! Just maybe good is going to come from this after all.


19 comments:

JG said...

That is so theoretically exciting! Can't wait to see how this goes :)

Aqua M said...

Wow, that is so exciting!!! I got shivers when I read it. :) Can't wait to hear more details soon!

Kerry said...

You go girl. :)

mrs_muffins said...

Im glad good has come of all this!!! I totally agree about being the change you wish to see.... great quote :)

xx

Ashley said...

You know, I really do admire you, Twin. :) I need to be more like you. I used to be, but I've somehow lost that...
I cant wait to hear more! And yay!

One Southern Girl said...

That sounds exciting! I'm stopping by to let you know that there is an award for you at my blog!

http://happilysouthernreviews.blogspot.com/2010/02/ive-been-awarded.html

Juliana said...

How freaking exciting!!!!!!!

Michelle Ioapo A'etonu said...

that is so awesome. i'm so proud of you and for saying what many have probably wanted to say for a long time!

Amanda said...

That's great! Change has to start somewhere. I never got into Military Spouse magazine because as a Guard spouse, I could never relate to the content.

Sarah said...

Well done! That is exciting. It will be neat to watch in the next few weeks where all of this goes for you. Teaches all of us that if you think something needs to change, that YOU need to go do it!

Caitlin said...

Hey, I left you an award on my blog. :)

Sahne said...

Congradulations! You're an inspiration to me. Way to stand up for what you believe:)

Christa said...

That's awesome, congrats!!! I look forward to reading it!!

Southern Belle said...

I left you an award on my blog! :)

Amanda said...

I just wanted to let you know that you have an award waiting for you over at my blog!!
<3

Whitney said...

I left you an award on my blog :)

SafeHomeHappyMom said...

I am your latest follower!!! You can also follow me at www.safehomehappymom.com

Mrs P said...

Ahhh good luck I can't wait to seew hat the subject is!

The Lady said...

Awesomeness. Is it just me, or does this seem like a future career prospect...having articles published in not just military spouse but other magazines as well!! I look forward to reading it, and I'm not even a military spouse! GLuck - Teri.