Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You asked, we answered: Part 2

Now for the rest of your questions!


Mrs. P asked: How long do you guys plan on staying in the military?
I only have fifteen years left until retirement. Might as well stay in.

Do you like military life?
That's a good question! Most of the time yes, we both do. There is such a feeling of pride and community that comes with being career military. Every spouse I meet is my sister. Every soldier I meet feels like my brother-in-law. I tear up when I see military commercials because I think "I'm part of that." Its incredible to be able to sacrifice your comfortable way of life to help ensure others have those comforts. But there are days when its difficult to enjoy. Like when one branch won't release your husband so he can go Active Duty and serve more. Or when you know your husband is dealing with crappy leadership and politics instead of being free to do his job the way it should be. As with anything in life, there are pros and cons. We try to focus on the pros know that this is where God wants us.

Teri asked: What does G.I. Joe do in the Army?
He had to run out for a bit but I'll try to explain very simply what the last job was that he before he came off those orders. During the time that he was living away from home he was a pre-deployment trainer (Observer Controller/Trainer, OC/T). That's not the actual term...I can't remember the exact name for it. But the bottom line of what he did, and loved doing, was he taught soldiers the things they needed to know to make it back home. Um...that's a huge responsibility. Most of the guys he worked with were a bit older then him but he did such an amazing job. I'm so proud of him because I know he saved lives. Knowing someone else's husband made it home safely is what made those years apart worth it.

Mrs. Addison asked: What are your favorite blogs, websites, books and authors?
Favorite authors: Jane Austen, Geoffrey Chaucer, John Steinbeck, Lori Wick, Lois Lowery, Kay Thompson, J.K. Rowling, Arthur Miller, and Oscar Wilde.
Favorite books: Pride and Prejudice, The Pearl, The Princess, The Giver, The Harry Potter Series, The Twilight Saga, The Fussy Baby Book, Hypnobirthing, Mr. Monk is Miserable, Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark, Oedipus Rex, The Great Gatsby, Franny and Zooey, Sherlock Holmes.

I love the blogs in my blog roll so I hope you all will check some (or all) of them out. Here are some of our favorite websites that we love giggling over at the end of the night. Usually we're laying on the floor in the dark look at these sites and trying our hardest not to wake Lucy up.


Cake Wrecks
People Of Wal-Mart...the perfect follow up to Cake Wrecks because you really won't be hungry after looking at this!
Awkward Family Photos

Ashley from Raising Brats asked: You said Lucy wears Pull Ups, does this mean she is already potty trained?
Lucy is not yet potty trained...we haven't even started that process yet and don't plan to until age 2. The deal with the pull ups is that regular diapers were just making life miserable. When she was about 9 months she started rolling over a lot. At night she would roll back and forth and swing her legs so much we'd all wake up in a puddle of pee and find her diaper had been kicked off. Another huge problem arose when she started crawling at 10 months. She would crawl so fast! Anytime we tried to change her she would just crawl away. So many moms told me "Distract her with a toy!!!" Um...my girl doesn't fall for those tricks. If 2 people weren't available to hold her down for changes then she would crawl around with nothing on, and sometimes potty before we could get a diaper on her. Changing her in public with these issues was next to impossible. We searched for alternatives and realized pull ups were the best solution. At 10 months we switched Lucy to Pampers Easy Ups (those were the only ones small enough for her) and have been so glad we did it. We've gotten to the point where we can even change most dirty pull ups standing up. She's happy. We can change her in public. And she's already learned how to wipe herself, and get her "undies" up or down. I figure that will pay off when it comes time to potty train! I feel like we're ahead of the game at least. I really don't see how parents can keep their kids in diapers once they start to crawl. Its so much easier on everyone this way!



Baby Signs with Elizabeth asked: How do you teach Lucy what Daddy does? Do you think she's too young or is there an age appropriate way to let her know?
When Lucy does get a little bigger I think we'll go with the explanation that "Daddy fights the bad guys and teaches other Daddies how to be safe while doing that." Right now she doesn't really need to know the details. She's not old enough to ask why Daddy's away (when he is gone) she just asks for him. G.I. Joe and I were just talking about this on Sunday at lunch. I honestly don't know what I'll say when the day comes that she puts 2 and 2 together. At some point she is going to be old enough to catch on and we will be faced with that dreaded question, "Mom, has Dad ever killed anyone?" Its inevitable. In my head I'd like to believe that all I'll have to say is "Yes, but Dad is just keeping bad people from hurting and killing innocent good people." I don't know if I'm hoping more that she won't question it beyond that or that she will.

We are just going to pray extremely hard that when Lucy is old enough to know exactly what G.I. Joe has done/is doing, that she will be ready and able to understand it. He likes to say that him and I as a couple represent the duality of man: he carries a machine gun, I wear peace signs. No one likes war, or looks forward to it. But we believe that there are innocent people outside of the U.S. who deserve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like we Americans do. Our prayer is that one day Lucy will feel that way too.


I still have one more question left to answer that will come in another post soon! If you have anymore feel free to post them here. Thanks for reading my ramblings!


6 comments:

Elise said...

oh I loved it ! And they are definately not 'ramblings'. Perfect.

All About Aleigha said...

I loved reading all of yalls answers!

Ashley said...

Loved the answer to the last question :)

Mrs P said...

I love this! That is pretty much the same way I feel about the military life as well. It can definitely be rough with politics sometimes, sigh, but I think when it comes down to it it's all worth it. And I loved his answer, my hubby is a careerist as well and views it in the same light haha.

ModernMom said...

We watched Pride and Prejeduce NYE! love loved it

MommyToTwoBoys said...

I also started changing both of my boys standing up the minute they knew how. Like Lucy they were too fast and too busy to lay and get changed!