Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One small step for the G.I. Joe's...

I've kept everyone in suspense long enough now.


So...you want to know what our little bits of excitement around here are?


First, on the G.I. Joe front...In a perfect world I would be using this post to tell you that the Guard has come through for us and G.I. Joe was released to Active Duty. Do we live in a perfect world? Unfortunately, no. However, things are finally starting to shift gears. Our biggest blessing right now is that he was selected to go a WLC, which is a school and the last thing he needs to get promoted to Staff Sergeant. We are so happy about this because it means that once he's Active Duty a promotion will be right around the corner. He would never want me to brag like this but G.I. Joe is so good at his job. He moves up faster than is considered "normal" and I couldn't be more proud of him.


Aside from the obvious reasons to be thrilled about this school it also reminds us that we haven't been abandoned by the military. For so long we've been strung along. Even though he hasn't gotten new orders this is a very happy compromise. The rest of his time in the Guard can be spent going to schools that he would have to go to when he went on Active Duty anyways. Its small steps, but big boosts for us.


For my very small insignificant news...I got published! Haha. Okay don't get too excited. I got 6 whole words published! I got an email at the beginning of December that Smith's Six Word Memoirs would be featuring my very first "sixer" in their newest book It All Changed In An Instant. The book hit shelves yesterday.


Why would I be so excited about a 6 word memoir being published, you might be wondering. Well, I've mentioned on here before that I'm working on editing my first book. That one is a memoir about getting married at 19 and my groom being shipped off to Iraq right after. These 6 little words that I have published is something that I can put on my "resume" when I send out book proposals. Everyone has to start somewhere. And this was actually the first thing I have ever sent anywhere for publication.


First step: My name published with 6 words behind it.
Next step: My name published with 60,000 words behind it.


I believe that mine is a story that so many young military wives can relate to and be comforted by. For that reason I am determined to get my book published. It All Changed In An Instant has given me a small reminder that I can do it. What I got published was actually something I just through out as an exercise. (Seriously, try writing a six word memoir. Its not that easy but its a great writing tool).



This book is on the shelves at Barnes and Noble! Later today I plan on getting G.I. Joe and Lucy to take me there to "visit" my name in print.



I know this wasn't anything as big as a move or a pregnancy announcement. But still cool stuff happening for the G.I. Joe family!

23 comments:

Theta Mom said...

OMG! 6 words or 6,000, who cares! You are published! Woo Hoo! And congrats on the GI Joe's possible promotion and all that fun stuff. Sounds like 2010 is treating you good girl!

Julie said...

That is too cool to get even those 6 words. I bet when your big book gets published it will be great :)

Jennifer Miller said...

thats great! I may have to take a trip to Borders today and check it out. Good luck on your book. It's great that you have been able to write your story down and are getting ready to share it with the world.

The Girl Next Door Grows Up said...

That is just totally awesome - 6 words is more than most people can say!!

You are on your way!!!!!!!

mrs_muffins said...

Well I am jealous.. haha. When Hubby gets home from Iraq we'll have until February of 2011 until he can go back active duty. That really sucks for us... And I'd love to be published one day myself so I can see the excitement, even if it's just six words! I was 18 when we got married and Hubby left about a month and a half afterwards... so yeah, can't wait to read your book. :)

Working Mommy said...

That is VERY awesome...and hits home for a lot of people - myself included!

On a side note, I just saw that you call your princess "Love Bug"...which is what one of my great girlfriends calls me...anyways, thought I'd share!

~WM

Ashley said...

How great! I'm so happy for you. I wish I could get my butt in gear and finally get my thoughts formed into a novel, but sigh, I'm just too scatterbrained.
And thats great about WLC. As much as it sucks that I'm going through this whole thing with Nate's orders, it kind of helps to know that you're going through it too. Lol.

Ashley said...

P.S. I'm going to go buy it!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Don't underplay it--published is published! :o)

That's also awesome that you're in the editing phase for your book. I'm actually supposed to be writing my first draft right now. (It's my official writing time). So...uh, I guess check back on ya' later!

Mrs. Kayla said...

That is so great! Congratulations! It doesn't matter how many words you have published. What does matter is that YOU ARE PUBLISHED! That is so exciting. Congratulations and enjoy it!

September Love said...

SO Excited for you, J! That is awesome news about the book!! And I also absolutely understand your happiness surrounding GI Joe's school news. Exactly how I felt when Jed got news about his school. Glad to hear you're doing well!!!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

wow some exciting stuff for you guys!! congrats on getting published! you have every right to be excited!! :)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Congrats!!! That's great!!!!! That's so awesome about the wlc training and the getting published!

Mrs P said...

I would really like to know what your 6 words are!! Congrats to both of you, those are big things!! Good luck on getting published in the future, I'll be on the lookout for that book!! :)

aledol said...

Yeah!! Congrats!! That is ALL good;);)
and I can say, I knew her when, :)
WHEN you get your book pub, I will buy a copy, just want it autographed!!:0)

J. L. W. said...

Congratulations! That is awesome news for you and your husband. What a great start to a new year.

Chrystal M. Smith said...

Jac, I'm always so proud of you. I fancy myself a writer, but I never have the courage to do all that you do. My writing (that's not in my blog) sits in notebooks--electronic and otherwise-- as self conscious as its creator.

Teri said...

Congratulations on being published in a book as well as finding about G.I. Joe's school.

The Lady said...

Awesome! You'll get published too.. can't wait to hear that news!! Keep up the good work.

Amanda said...

Very cool stuff going on at your house! And you're right, the schools are something since they get active duty pay while there. Is your husband trying to go federal active duty or AGR? We went AGR about a year ago, and it's so much better than where we were before that.

Amanda said...

Congratulations on both fronts! I know how exciting it is when the military finally gets their act together. Freddy submitted his paperwork for warrant officer's school months ago and we're still waiting to hear :(

I would like to read your book when you get it published :)

MommyToTwoBoys said...

Congrats! Are you gonna tell us the 6 words, or do we have to get the book?

And you should be proud of your husband. My husband also got promoted very quickly. He was an E6 within 3 months of getting out of basic. That is definitely something to be proud of, don't shrug it off. Staff Sergeant is big. My husband did the reverse, he just left Active Duty to join the Guard.

heather said...

hi i found your blog through blog hopping... my husband is also in the army and i have a son who is almost 18 months... we are in the process of TRYING to go active ourselves.. were still in the waiting game... your blog is so interesting to read.. hope to hear from you soon...