Saturday, December 19, 2009

Its not as romantic as Bing wants you to think.


Meeting G.I. Joe ruined snow for me. Up until that point I was like any other 14 year old...snow days were heaven: no school, sleeping in, watching movies, and making snow cream with Mom. Then I started my freshman year. Even though I didn't exactly love my class I would want to cry when those white flakes started falling. That meant I would be spending the day at home instead of sitting next to "the most dreamy boy ever."

After G.I. Joe came home from Iraq and got stationed in New Jersey my feelings for snow stayed the same. Winter weather advisories meant I couldn't go visit him and he couldn't come visit me on his weekend pass. If by chance I did make it up there and snow hit after my arrival then I'd be stuck in a hotel room all day with Ramen noodles and daytime television. You can only watch so many episodes of Maury before you realize that anytime a woman says she is "1,000% sure" that Mr. Soon-to-be-in-an-orange-jumpsuit is the father of her baby then he is most definitely not the father. Snow can cause more boredom than any nature phenomena on the planet.

Now, I sit here looking out a window at 15 inches of this white stuff. This storm is not normal for us, especially not in December. But the week G.I. Joe flies out of town it snows so bad he can't get back. He was supposed to be flying in tonight. Yesterday we got the word that no flights would be coming in to our airport so we had to reschedule him to leave tomorrow. This morning I got a phone call that his Sunday flight was canceled...not because of our airport but because the first stop where his layover is will be getting the snow storm after us. I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry. Right now it looks like he'll be home in the wee hours of December 22nd, that is if everything goes according to plan this time.

I know it may seem silly to be a little upset about this. People want to say things like "Just be thankful that..." or "A week apart should be no big deal for you guys." The first is sort of a good point. We are very thankful that one way or another, whether by planes, trains, or automobiles, G.I. Joe will be home by Christmas. And we're thankful of course that he's not overseas. We've done the Christmas in Iraq, missed more holidays than we care to count, and missed out on living together for more than 3/4 of our marriage. Those points right there are why we are thankful but also why little things like this are frustrating. We are a career Army family. Though some don't want to think about the future we know what's in store for us when G.I. Joe goes back on orders...more time apart. He'll go to school for a while on his own and after that he might get deployed right away or go to another school before being deployed. So, if the Army isn't forcing us apart at the moment, we don't want to be apart longer than is absolutely necessary. We'd rather be enjoying every second together just in case he's gone next Christmas, or months of next year.

Even though I have cried each time I had to tell G.I. Joe that his flight has been canceled, I just want him home safely. Lucy and I are going to color "Welcome Home" signs to greet him when he comes in and will be waiting anxiously so we can finally get on with celebrating Christmas.



Lucy showing her Baby Sally the snow...and looking for Daddy.




Its supposed to snow again on Christmas Eve, our anniversary. G.I. Joe is thrilled about that! I would just like to get him home first. Then it can snow buckets for all I care!


17 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm praying for a safe flight back! And I hope that you guys are staying warm!

Tiffany said...

I hope & pray your family is all together & home safe on christmas...

My Blog

mrs_muffins said...

Oh, i've had a rough week and i'm like about to bawl my eyes out. I was on a flight once and my plane had to be "de-iced"... while I was on it. Lol, they sprayed down our plane and it was somewhat terrifying. I hope he gets home sooner than later <3
xx

Buckeroomama said...

I hope that he will have a safe and smooth flight back and that you all will be home together very soon.

The Girl Next Door Grows Up said...

It is not silly to miss him. Don't feel bad.

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I was really hoping they'd be able to get him in for you today! Boo! At least he'll be home tomorrow! I have to agree this snow totally wrecked everyone's weekend plans.

Sarah said...

Ohh...I can understand your emotions! I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping he gets home soon :). BTW - love the YouTube clip you attached. I absolutely love that movie and used to watch it with my grandmother all the time!

Working Mommy said...

We ended up with 22 - or so - inches are here...all flights in and out were canceled and the airports were shut down all day on Saturday. Ugh!

~WM

Libby said...

It's hard waiting for a loved one when you have no control over it. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas together when he does get home though!!!

Libby's Latest - Getting better requires...

pam said...

Safe travels, and wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Ashley said...

Oh goodness. They just need to get him home to you already!!

I had no idea y'all have been together that long... too cute! :)

Theta Mom said...

Praying for a safe trip home for your G.I. Joe...I know you'll enjoy every moment when you're together! Have a wonderful holiday!!!

MoonNStarMommy said...

Awwwwwww I completely understand because you guys are apart so much that every moment counts and when those moments are ripped out of your hands.. it's sad. I hope that he makes it home safely before the snow starts to fall again. I know we are suppose to get majorly dumped on again too

ZenMom said...

My love affair with the white stuff ended right about the time I had 4 kids stuck at home with me.

I'm praying for a safe flight and return. Your story is beautiful.

TeresaR said...

I hope he's made it back home already as I type this (afternoon on the 22nd)! Have a wonderful Christmas together!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Thank you ladies for all your words of encouragement! G.I. Joe made it home after midnight on Tuesday (12/22). I'll be posting a full update and some new pictures by tomorrow!

We're blessed to have him home because some airline passengers have been told they will not be making it home for Christmas.

Shannon (Coupon Mommy Of 2) said...

Im praying for a safe flight back. Beautiful picture.
http://couponmommyof.blogspot.com