Saturday, December 5, 2009

I'm not Martha, I'm Monica.

Anyone else watch the TV show Friends? If you were a fan of the show you know exactly who Monica Gellar is. She is a brilliant chef, a little bit ditzy, and quite OCD. Over the course of 10 seasons we watched her do things like bake a fingernail in a quiche, lose a band aid in a tea cookie, and almost burn down her apartment at Thanksgiving. Her less-than-encouraging mother used to call these things "pulling a Monica."

People usually seem to enjoy my cooking and baking. I like that I have some basic level of skills in the kitchen because I truly do love to cook. If I could go to a culinary arts school, I would. That's how much I enjoy it. And I love trying out new recipes. There have been times when family members have affectionately called me "Little Martha." I take this as a huge compliment. I don't think I'm anywhere near Martha Stewart's level because she's absolutely fabulous. I don't strive to be just like her though, which is good because I'm would not even come close. I like to be a little more creative and unpredictable than Martha.

"Unpredictable" is exactly what happened in the kitchen last night. I was excited to try out 2 new recipes and was in a hurry. I knew I had a certain amount of time that G.I. Joe could keep Lucy occupied so I worked at a fast pace. I even ate dinner standing up while things were mixing and simmering. The first recipe was one for White Chocolate Squares. Personally, I can't stand white chocolate. Its just not chocolate. But everyone else in my family likes it so I wanted to make them. While I was pouring the "batter" into the pan I couldn't help but think how sticky it had gotten. It was heavier than I expected and difficult to pour.

Finally, the oven had preheated and my White Chocolate Squares were baking. It was time to start making the Dark Chocolate Meringue Kisses and I noticed a container on the counter. I had laid out all the ingredients I would need earlier in the day and apparently wasn't paying attention to the things I was grabbing. The unopened container was baking powder. An ingredient that was supposed to be in the Squares. But I knew I put some in! Only, it was from a box. I ran to the pantry to pull out the box and found the answer to the sticky batter mystery: cornstarch. I put in cornstarch instead of baking powder!

To put the finishing touch on my stellar domestic performance, I pulled a good old fashion Monica. The Squares were baking, I was spazzing over the cornstarch, and looked down to see that I broke a finger nail in the baking process.

G.I. Joe has gotten the biggest kick out of this, and really...I have too. We all have our off days when nothing seems to come together. On the upside though, the cornstarch actually made the Squares nice and gooey. Almost like a combination of cake and fudge. He's eaten some and loved it. (In my defense I know for a fact that my fingernail didn't end up in them. But it still makes for a great story doesn't it?)

I'll be posting the Holiday Treat Recipes tomorrow evening because, as you can tell, its been a long week!

10 comments:

butterfly11780 said...

Oh I am a HUGE Friends freak! I just watched the "Pulling a Monica" episode. I did the same once. I forgot to put eggs in my yearly 4th of July cupcakes. It happens to the best of us.

Little Miss Emmy Lou said...

Love the story! I think we've all that experiences like that!
Emily

mrs_muffins said...

That's so funny! People call me Martha too but as much as I love to cook and decorate, that's a lot of pressure!!! I totally used vanilla extract instead of liquid smoke one time in a big batch of chili (same color bottle). I tend to forget about things after they go in the oven...

But I like white chocolate and those squares sound yummy!!!

Charity said...

Wow. Sounds like you were having a fun night. Kiale would have been laughing at me for days because of that. Happy Holidays!!

All About Aleigha said...

That is too funny. I love white chocolate, cant wait to see the recipes.

blueviolet said...

That is hilarious but I'm glad that they came out in a way that's still edible!

:)

Theta Mom said...

Sounds fun! I am a huge Friends fan. Miss that show!

Ashley said...

Haha! I love friends. I have all ten seasons on DVD.:)

Granny said...

I hate to tell you this, but I think it may be hereditary! When I was younger, your Grandma started making chocolate chip cookies by using a cake mix (to this day I have no idea how she did it). So, when your Daddy & I were dating, I told him that I could make the very best chocolate chip cookies with a 'secret recipe'. Within 2 weeks of getting married, he expected the world's best chocolate chip cookies. Instead, he got chocolate chips mixed in a cake that ended up in the trash can!!

So, get ready for many 'Monica moments' --- they have come quite often for your Mother!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Haha, when I read the title post I knew it had to be something with friends. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out to be a baking success! I hope little L is feeling better as well! I got your DM and was like OH NO!