Thursday, December 31, 2009

2014

I can't figure out which is more popular these days: making New Year's resolutions or bucking them. Typically I don't like to make resolutions like "I'm going to be a better person..." or "I'm going to start growing closer to God on January 1st." Those are things that I think about every day of the year. For G.I. Joe and Lucy I want to be the best that I can and that means always striving to grow and learn. The calendar really doesn't dictate when I do that.

However...there are some big things that I think of each year that I want to accomplish. I don't see anything wrong with that. Its not so much that January 1st brings more opportunities than December 31st, it just brings a nice even deadline with it. Each Christmas and New Years I think "What do I want to get done this year?" When you have a new baby or a toddler at home it can be nearly impossible to find time for certain things. I know people say things like "If something is important to you then you will make time for it." Well, if I can't make any extra hours in the day and I've already exhausted my supply of energy and minutes then that's okay.

I love taking care of Lucy right now and I love that she needs me so much. One day she'll start school and I'll have a lot of spare time that will need to be filled. So to keep from sitting and crying away each weekday I'll work on my New Year's "goals." Here's what I plan to work on in, by, or around the year 2014:

  • Take a cake decorating class.
  • Learn how to play the drums.
  • Get my 2nd and 3rd books published...because I'm hoping to have the first one published by 2011 at the latest.
  • Start selling designs for a handbags/diaper bags.
  • Go to culinary arts school.
  • Set up a wedding photography business.
  • Become fluent in French...and have Lucy well on her way to being fluent.
  • Read 100 books in a year.
  • See the ball drop from Times Square on New Years Eve (I've always made a point to avoid watching the ball drop on TV because I'd rather be actually doing something when midnight strikes besides watching TV)
  • Learn how to knit...I just am curious but I have no desire to make it a full time hobby.
  • Take more ballet classes.
  • Skateboard to the end of the street without falling down.
  • Take an art class.
  • Finish my Masters in Religion or Divinity and get my Doctorate in Theology. (Can you tell I miss school?)
  • Start developing a Bible Study program for teenage girls....maybe one day I'll get into the subject matter of that on here, but its not likely to be anytime soon. This "work in progress" I don't plan to finish or pursue publishing on until I'm like in my 30's. So I have a while!
  • Become a certified Doula...this I plan to start this as soon as Lucy goes to K5.
  • Run the Family Readiness Group for whatever unit G.I. Joe is stationed in at the time.


All of these are things that I'm really excited about. But I can be patient when it comes to pursuing them. I know I'd regret spending time away from my family and distracted more so than I would regret not taking a decorating class at a craft store!

Anyone else make New Year's resolutions or goals? Am I the only Mommy out there who thinks like this?

I hope you all have a very happy New Year. 2010 will be kicked off here with lots of pictures, a really cool giveaway (later in January) and some awards to pass around!


ETA: G.I. Joe and I are doing the Love Dare. We've had the book since he moved home but we're finally making it a priority. So one goal, the first one we'll probably meet for 2010, is to stick with it. I think I'm going to post a tab in a side bar that has each day's dare so that you all can join in too if you want!



12 comments:

M {Life Happens During Naptime} said...

Thanks for sharing!

Katie F said...

That is awesome you are getting a book published. When will it be published? What is it about?

mrs_muffins said...

I agree with you. Being a better person or being healthy.. those kinds of things we should think about EVERY day, not just at the start of a new year. I haven't even thought of Riley going to school yet but you reminded me... I will definitely need a list to keep me busy then!!!
xx

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Haha...yeah, I don't really "like" to think of Lucy going to school. I really try not to dwell on it. New Year's is the only reason I've let my mind linger there :) I'm going to be a basket case that whole first year!

Juliana said...

These are great!!!! Happy New year!

Working Mommy said...

All the best to you and your beautiful family in 2010!! I think you have very admirable goals and I hope that you reach them all - even if it takes longer than 2014!!

~WM

MomTheSaint said...

Do children's books, before nap-time & bed-time, count towards the 100 books in one year??
That would help!
Happy New Year!!!

Ashley said...

We have some of the same goals... cake decorating class, learning to knit, going to culinary arts school, and seeing the ball drop from NYC. :) But I'm with you... I don't see a rush on it because I'd rather spend my time with my little man than rushing around to do all this other stuff.

Tina said...

Well, you have alot of goals!! Some really good ones at that, I hope that you will be able to reach all of these throughout the years. . .when the time is right.
Happy New Year!!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Love the list! I can knit and I swear, it's so easy! Happy New Years!

TeresaR said...

I think you're very smart to allow yourself enough time to accomplish your goals. I wish you every success with all that you want to do! Have a wonderful 2010...and may you get some much needed rest too! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.