However...there are some big things that I think of each year that I want to accomplish. I don't see anything wrong with that. Its not so much that January 1st brings more opportunities than December 31st, it just brings a nice even deadline with it. Each Christmas and New Years I think "What do I want to get done this year?" When you have a new baby or a toddler at home it can be nearly impossible to find time for certain things. I know people say things like "If something is important to you then you will make time for it." Well, if I can't make any extra hours in the day and I've already exhausted my supply of energy and minutes then that's okay.
I love taking care of Lucy right now and I love that she needs me so much. One day she'll start school and I'll have a lot of spare time that will need to be filled. So to keep from sitting and crying away each weekday I'll work on my New Year's "goals." Here's what I plan to work on in, by, or around the year 2014:
- Take a cake decorating class.
- Learn how to play the drums.
- Get my 2nd and 3rd books published...because I'm hoping to have the first one published by 2011 at the latest.
- Start selling designs for a handbags/diaper bags.
- Go to culinary arts school.
- Set up a wedding photography business.
- Become fluent in French...and have Lucy well on her way to being fluent.
- Read 100 books in a year.
- See the ball drop from Times Square on New Years Eve (I've always made a point to avoid watching the ball drop on TV because I'd rather be actually doing something when midnight strikes besides watching TV)
- Learn how to knit...I just am curious but I have no desire to make it a full time hobby.
- Take more ballet classes.
- Skateboard to the end of the street without falling down.
- Take an art class.
- Finish my Masters in Religion or Divinity and get my Doctorate in Theology. (Can you tell I miss school?)
- Start developing a Bible Study program for teenage girls....maybe one day I'll get into the subject matter of that on here, but its not likely to be anytime soon. This "work in progress" I don't plan to finish or pursue publishing on until I'm like in my 30's. So I have a while!
- Become a certified Doula...this I plan to start this as soon as Lucy goes to K5.
- Run the Family Readiness Group for whatever unit G.I. Joe is stationed in at the time.
All of these are things that I'm really excited about. But I can be patient when it comes to pursuing them. I know I'd regret spending time away from my family and distracted more so than I would regret not taking a decorating class at a craft store!
Anyone else make New Year's resolutions or goals? Am I the only Mommy out there who thinks like this?
I hope you all have a very happy New Year. 2010 will be kicked off here with lots of pictures, a really cool giveaway (later in January) and some awards to pass around!
ETA: G.I. Joe and I are doing the Love Dare. We've had the book since he moved home but we're finally making it a priority. So one goal, the first one we'll probably meet for 2010, is to stick with it. I think I'm going to post a tab in a side bar that has each day's dare so that you all can join in too if you want!