Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Holiday Dessert Swap

I would love it if there were a way to fit more hours in the day. Around the holidays I would spend those extra hours baking! There are just so many yummy goodies to try out this time of year. Here are a few recipes that my family will be enjoying this week and again around Christmas. The first two are recipes from a cute little Christmas book that my Mom got me one year from a bargain bin somewhere. These two pies are delicious! They're a great alternative to the traditional pumpkin or apple pies. The only steps are: Prep, Chill, and Devour!



Christmas Angel Berry Pie


Ingredients:


1 (10 ounce) bag of frozen berries thawed and drained~either mixed berries, raspberries, or blackberries work best.

1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk

1/3 cup lemon juice


1/2 pint whipping cream

1 graham cracker crust~you can buy the ready made kind or make your own by putting down a layer of graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of your pie dish.

Prep:

1). Whip cream in an electric mixer on a medium-low speed until cream starts to thicken. This should take about 5-8 minutes.

2). Mix in condensed milk, lemon juice and berries until well blended.
3). Pour on top of graham cracker crust and garnish with fresh berries.


Chill:


In the freezer this will set up to a creamy consistency in about 3 hours. You can chill in freezer longer if you want a more frozen treat or just chill in a refrigerator over night. Then devour!



Pineapple Dream Pie


Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can of crushed pineapple (ETA-I forgot to add that you drain the juice)

36 large marshmallows (about 1 bag)

1/2 cup of milk

1 pint whipping cream


2 (9 inch) graham cracker crusts~you may also use a ready made crust here or cover the bottom of a pie dish with graham cracker crumbs

Prep:

1). Melt marshmallows with milk in a large pot on a low heat. Stir often so the marshmallows don't burn. Once completely melted, set aside.
2). Whip cream in an electric mixer on a medium-low speed for about 6-10 minutes. Cream should start to thicken.

3). Pour pineapple into the whipped cream and mix well.
4). Fold in marshmallow mixture. Separate into the 2 pie crusts. (With this recipe you should have enough for two 9 inch pies plus a little leftover)


Chill:


Pineapple dream can chill overnight in the fridge or 2-3 hours in the freezer. Just like with the Christmas Angle Berry Pie, you may like yours a little more frozen or creamy. I made 2 of these on Saturday evening and they've already been eaten. I can't really say much more than that!



Pumpkin Cheesecake


This is actually a recipe that I haven't tried yet but I'm really looking forward to making it Wednesday. I personally don't like anything pumpkin but some of my family does, especially G.I. Joe. I'm so excited to try this recipe out from Paula Deen. (That's a sentence I never in my life thought I would say).
I'll post a comment after Thanksgiving to le
t you all know how it goes over.




What are some of your favorite holiday desserts? Share your recipes on your blog and please leave a comment here with the link so everyone can visit your post!




8 comments:

Elise said...

loving them all ! I wish we had more holidays !

Mrs. Addison said...

Those sound goooood! My favorite part of Thanksgiving (next to being thankful, of course...hehe) is the FOOD! :) I posted a recipe today too! http://www.wonderfullychaotic.com/2009/11/recipe-turtle-pumpkin-pie.html

butterfly11780 said...

Oh I love this time of year just for all the yummy recipes to add to my recipe box.

Here is my Holiday Recipe Swap post

http://www.3chicksandarooster.com/2009/11/pumpkin-cheesecake-recipe.html

徵信社 said...

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

參觀,Thanks

Susie said...

My favorite Holiday dessert is Susie's Homemade Oh My Gosh, Ganache Chocolate Cheesecake. It is to die for!!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

The pumpkin cheesecake went over really well! G.I. Joe loves the kind the Cheesecake Factory makes but he said mine tasted exactly the same!

I would like to say that the flour the recipe calls for is totally unnecessary. I really think it should be left out. Most pumpkin cheesecake recipes don't call for it and it was apparently "perfect" the way I made it. Which was without the flour.

Also...a word about crusts. I've learned that the whole adding melted butter to graham cracker crumbs is also unnecessary. Anytime a recipe calls for this just cover the bottom of the pan generously with the crumbs. You can't taste the difference and this is quicker and less mess!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maria said...

I made the pineapple dream pie for Thanksgiving... so good! I added an extra can of crushed pineapple and would suggest draining them before adding them to the mix! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered [url=http://bit.ly/bMGrYw]SatelliteTV[/url] on my PC! Ultra cheap at only $50 once off to get the software and an account on the Internet. I get more channels(in HD I might ad) than I get on cable so tomorrow I reckon I'm going to cancel my cable subscription. Thought I'd share this with you guys, worth to check out.