Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cookie Recipe Swap!

Since its not exactly practical to have an actual cookie swap over the Internet I thought it would be fun to swap recipes! In our house baking has always been a huge part of the holidays. Please feel free to post you own cookie recipes on your blog and then leave a comment with the link! We can get around and check out each others recipes and try some new yummy treats this year!


1 Sugar Cookie Recipe...3 Different Types of Cookie
I love this recipe because its so simple but it makes the same quality cookies that come out of popular bakeries. (I used to work in a cookie bakery and these taste exactly like the ones we used to sell).


Ingredients:


1 and 3/4 sticks unsalted soft butter
1 cup of sugar
1 large egg
3 cups of all purpose flour
Optional~Use about a tablespoon of any flavoring you may way, like vanilla, orange, cocoa powder...but these cookies taste awesome on their own



Directions:

1) In a mixer combine sugar and butter until the mixture becomes creamy.

2) Add the egg and sift in flour. If you don't have a sifter just add the flour a little at a time to make it easier to mix.

3) Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut or mold pieces however big or small you prefer. You can also chill the dough in the refrigerator for an hour or two. This will make the dough less sticky and easier to work with.

4) When you are ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 6-10 minutes. The edges will be slightly browned when the cookies are done.


That's it! Bakery quality cookies with just 4 ingredients!
Now if you want to try something different here are a couple other things to do with that same dough...

To make cinnamon Snickerdoodles:

Put 1/2 cup of sugar into a bowl.

Add cinnamon to taste. I like to use a lot but however much you use depends on whether you want to taste more sugar or spice. If there is too much of one, just add more of the other!

Roll small pieces of dough into balls and then roll them in the sugar mixture.

Flatten and place on a cookie sheet to bake at the same time and temperature mentioned above.


For a really fun Surprise Package:

Extra ingredient: any kind of thin chocolate wafer, bar, or cookie.
Its totally up to you what you want inside your "surprise package."

Make sure whatever you use is broken into 1 inch pieces.

Take a small ball of dough and flatten and mold it around the chocolate surprise. Add more dough to it until the whole piece is covered all the way around and on the bottom.
When you are ready to bake preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 10-12 minutes.


And then your friends and family will get an awesome surprise when they bite into your "sugar cookie!" To add decorations you can use icing to create a bow on the package.

The Finishing Touch: Royal Icing

Ingredients:
Whites from 4 medium or large eggs
8 and 1/3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

Combine in a mixer for about 4 minutes. The icing is ready when it starts to have stiff peaks on the mixing paddle.



So that's my "starter guide" to yummy holiday cookies. What are your favorite cookie recipes? I can't wait to try out something new!

15 comments:

shopannies said...

I have many great recipes on my blog that I would love to share please let me know how

Samantha said...

Mmm, I love plain sugar cookies. I'm going to have to try the first recipe! And I'll have to dig out some holiday cookie recipes and share.

butterfly11780 said...

So bookmarking this so I can use it. I have cookie cutters for every holiday and I am tired of using store bought cookie dough.

Lauren said...

Sugar cookies are one of my favorites in general, but around the holidays I love to bake gingerbread cookies!!

mrs_muffins said...

Mmm. Hubby and I both love sugar cookies! I'll have to try this recipe.. and the frosting!

Here's my recipe for Oatmeal-Raisin cookies:
http://mrsmuffins.blogspot.com/2009/11/cookie-recipe-oatmeal-raisin.html

Madison {Life Happens During Naptime} said...

MMmmmmm these sugar cookies sound so good. I may have to make these today!

chubbydove said...

this sounds yummy

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

that is so so yummy..

i love it..

following you via MBC followers club.I hope you will visit and follow back.

If you are interested in button/link exchange and twitter following let me know..

Becky said...

I've been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe I may have try yours!!!! :)

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Stop by Amy's blog and try out her fabulous Icebox Cookies recipe!

http://little-willa-lamb.blogspot.com/2009/11/holiday-recipe-icebox-cookies.html

September Love said...

Thank you, J, for posting the comment for me...I typed my blog post with the recipe and the link to your blog and then Abbey decided that I had run out of computer time. I'm sure you know how that goes!

Mama Campbell said...

My cookie swap recipe here:
http://mamacampbell.blogspot.com/2009/11/cookie-recipe-swap.html

Linz Cookies. They were a huge hit last Christmas w/my family!

Clueless_Mama said...

Thanks for the cookie recipe. The icing sounds delicious!! I can't wait to make a batch;)

J. L. W. said...

I can't wait to try out some new cookie recipes. My cookie swap recipe can be found at http://thepracticalmomguide.blogspot.com/2009/11/my-favorite-holiday-cookie-recipe.html

Susieqtpie said...

Looks like we all have some cookie swaps going on online! Here is my link too! Come link up in our Holiday Recipe Exchange & win a 700 Recipe Cookbook! http://bit.ly/cOOkBook