Saturday, October 3, 2009

You spoke too soon, G.I. Joe

We've had such an exciting month around here! It seems like ever since Lucy's surgery we haven't slowed down, and of course, neither has she.

Our trip to Disney World was an absolute blast. I've heard a lot of people say they decided against taking their kids to Disney so young because they wanted them to "know what was going on" but let me say Lucy did know what was going on. She soaked it all in and was completely in awe. Even something as small as riding the monorail (which went right through our resort) for the first time left her eyes bugged out and giggles in her mouth. I couldn't help but tear up when she saw Cinderella's Castle and looked at me with this amazed smile. She loved riding things like Peter Pan's Flight, Its a Small World, and The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. She liked meeting the Princesses but didn't want any of the animal characters to get close to her. I think she was a bit overwhelmed by how big they were in person. While we were waiting in lines, eating out, or riding the monorails she kept people entertained and made some friends. That's one thing I love about Disney World. Even though you will unfortunately get to bump into lots of rude people, there are countless others that you meet that end up feeling like old friends you've known all along.

I was nervous and sad about Lucy's birthday. I know that probably sounds bad, but hear me out. I had it in my head that once her first birthday came around she'd flip a magical switch that would make her officially a full blown toddler and a completely different person. That's not really what happened. In fact, on September 23rd at 2:17 pm she was very much the same baby she was on September 22nd. She still seems a little more like "baby" to me than toddler even though she is now actually "toddling" around. She still doesn't sleep through the night, she's not completely on table foods, and she's still very attached to her mommy. From what I've heard, all that is normal. Babies grow at different paces so I'm enjoying this stage while it lasts.

One thing that surprised me but made me feel better about her birthday was how many people thought she was only around 10 months. We got countless "What a gorgeous baby!!! How old is she? 10 months?" or "Oh honey! Look at that sweet baby!" It was really heaven for me getting to see that even to other people she's still "baby" for a little while longer.

Despite all the above, I still melted down a little the night of her birthday. I made it through the entire day without being a total wreck and G.I. Joe was both surprised and proud. That night we were lying in bed and Lucy was sleeping like an angel between us. He was smiling at me and said, "Babe, you did it. You made it through her birthday without crying!" Yeah, it was that moment that my lip started to quiver and the tears started rolling. The whole first birthday thing has just been a roller coaster of emotions. There's pride over what a beautiful thing she's becoming and all she's learning to do, there's sadness over how quickly time passes, and there is a sense of victory that we have managed to keep her happy and healthy for a whole year!

Quite honestly, I'm exhausted from the month of September. I've still got about 1000 pictures to go through and edit from our trip alone. I'll post some of those on here and soon I'll have some of Lucy's 12 month pictures! Thank you all for the Happy Birthday wishes for Lucy! She is one very loved little Princess.

Ooops! I forgot to add that coming soon I'll have new recipes! Stick around and in a couple weeks (or sooner) I'll have some mouth watering lamb chops posted!

5 comments:

Jacqueline Smith said...

she's SO CUTE.

Life Happens During Naptime said...

Moose still seems more like a baby than a toddler to me too. I think of toddlers being more like 18 months old I think.

PropellerHeadMom said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! Sorry I missed it! We were in Disney World! We left on the 22nd and came back early last week.

Clueless_Mama said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time at Disney. I am so jealous! I would love to take my little kiddos. Don't worry, no matter how old your little one gets, she will always be your baby:)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time at Disney!! I hope October slows down for you!