Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Slightly less sinful Dark Chocolate Mousse

I can't wait to try this recipe again. It was probably the best mousse I've ever tasted. I really wish I had a picture to go with it but it was gobbled up very fast at our house. Maybe that's a good excuse to try it again this weekend!

Here are the ingredients you'll need. Notice that there are subtle things that make this mousse a little (very little) bit more healthy:

  • 1 bag of Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate baking chips (60% or 70% works best)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of margarine or another low cholesterol butter substitute
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1/4 cup fat-free milk
  • 2 heaping cups fat-free whipped cream or nondairy whipped topping
  • Raspberries for sauce topping

Preparation:


  • Melt chocolate on stove with sugar and butter, the consistency will be lumpy until other ingredients are added.
  • Pour in milk then slowly add egg substitute.
  • When the mixture is completely melted and smooth place it in a non-metallic bowl to cool for about 30-45 minutes.
  • After the chocolate has come down to at least room temperature you can mix in the whipped topping.
  • Once everything is combined together place the mousse either in the fridge for 2 hours or the freezer for 1 hour. If you prefer the mousse to be more firm leave it to chill longer.

Serving suggestions:


  • Spoon the mousse into flute glasses and chill in the fridge instead of the freezer. This makes a great party dessert!
  • Place the raspberries in a bag and mash them up until there are no whole pieces left. This is a terrific sauce that is the perfect compliment for the mousse! Even though this mousse can stand on its own...try the sauce with it. I promise you won't regret it.
  • Top mousse with a spoonful of whipped cream, raspberry sauce, and finish it off with chocolate shavings. Have a chocolate bar on hand. Any kind you want...dark, milk, or white chocolate. Use a cheese grater to create shavings to sprinkle on your master piece.

I hope you will try this yummy dessert. Its so easy! If you don't count the time you spend waiting for it to chill, the preparations only take about 10 minutes or less. I personally can't resist it when something so gourmet is that simple.

I'm still working on our Disney pictures and taking Lucy's 1 year portraits this week. I'll have more fun stuff to post soon...including more delicious recipes for fall!

*ETA: I totally forgot to add that when you melt the chocolate you can use the whole bag. I didn't measure when I made mine but "almost 1 bag" is good. You can leave out about a couple handfuls to sprinkle on top if you wish.


7 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh... I die... a happy chocolatey death! This sounds so so good!

Jess said...

This sounds so good! I am going out to the store tomorrow and plan to get the ingredients to try this. From the sound of it, Dan will think he's died and gone to chocolate heaven. LOL Yum!! :) Thanks for sharing this!

Theta Mom said...

This sounds AMAZING!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Oh man! I should NOT have read your post before we ate our dinner. I WANT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE!

Madison {Life Happens During Naptime} said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I'm so excited to try this!!!

Lucy postpartumillness.com said...

Im on a new diet and then I see this. aahhhh:)