Monday, October 26, 2009

H1N1 has turned me into this guy:



Its sad but true. The Swine Flu has truly become an epidemic around here. Or is it a pandemic? I don't know. Whichever one is more widespread, that's what our area is going through. Its a bit scary when you have a little one. I never would have given this much thought had this come around before we had Lucy. Now the thought of her catching it has made us paranoid. Or maybe its just made us smart.

To avoid the flu we are: taking extra vitamins, keeping all surfaces clean and disinfected, and using a lot of organic alcohol-free baby-safe hand sanitizer. I hate that this has also caused us to have to seclude ourselves away from certain things, but it can't be helped. So many people at our church have gotten it that we are keeping Lucy out for a few weeks. No hand shakes or hugs for us. I don't think that's being snobby or too cautious. We are talking about a flu that has taken lives and we just don't want to risk Lucy catching it.

Today was slightly comical. I had to go to the doctor, only because I needed to get some allergy medicine. My mom watched Lucy for us because we didn't want her around any sick patients and G.I Joe needed to go with me to settle some insurance stuff.

From the time we got out of the car at the doctor's office here's what happened:

(walking up to the door)

Me: I don't want to touch it!

G.I. Joe: Fine, I'll do it with my sleeve.

(he opens the door and we slide in without touching anything)

G.I. Joe: (holds his hands out) Sanitize me!

(I give him 2 pumps of the sanitizer in my pocket then hand it to him so he can hold it)

I have to touch a pen to sign in.

Me: (holding hands out) Sanitizer, please, Babe.

We sit down but make sure not to touch the arm rests.

The nurse calls me back. I accidentally touch the exam table with my hand. Sanitizer to the rescue!

We pass the bottle back and forth about 5 more times before getting home.




I guess that might seem a little like over kill but you can't be too careful when it comes to this monster of a flu.

How has H1N1 affected your house? Has your family or anyone you know had it? Has it made you more careful? What are you doing to stay healthy this flu season?

7 comments:

Tero said...

Oh my gosh, that sounded just like Clint, me and Dax when we took him when he had the croup. I was already scared out of my mind b/c of that much less going where you knew sick H1N1 kids had been.
Are you getting the shot? We've decided not to. Although we are all getting the regular flu vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine scares me more than the virus itself. You know the rush to get it out and everything else that's been said about it...We are just keeping Dax home and doing exactly the same as you guys. Guess that's how it's going to be every season now too.

mrs_muffins said...

Tell me about it! Normally I would never think twice about this kind of thing... I don't think I've ever even had a flu shot! But this whole week everyone has went from sick to sicker and it scares me! I've never been so paranoid as I was today at the grocery store!!! Geez :)

Madison {Life Happens During Naptime} said...

This definetely made me laugh. I have been a paranoid wreck too, but only because I'm pregnant. I actually didn't worry about h1n1 at all until I got knocked up. I am confident that as a healthy-non-pregnant nursing mommy that both Moosey and I could beat it just fine. Its the secondary preggo complications I worry about. God bless your family during this flu season!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Someone I know has got it and it's scary! I haven't seen him in awhile so I'm pretty for sure I'm ok.

Nicole said...

Okay, I admit, I had to laugh.

For now I lucked out and neither the kids nor me got sick since summer, not once. I am not freaking out because of the flu, but if it should hit us, it will be tough as the only adult here until my husband is finally back.

But more and more people around us are getting sick.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

This totally made me laugh! I probably would have been the same way! :)

Felicitas Linda said...

LOL What was ironic for me was that I got swine flu senior year from a pig. Yes, it was my first year on the school farm and this gal had me take care of her pig because she was scared she would get swine flu from it. I just laughed it off and thought it wasn't physically possible. Turns out it is LOL!