Sunday, August 23, 2009

The things I lost didn't matter anyway.

About 12 months ago:

~I slept at least 8 hours a day.
~I could watch a dvd straight through, then watch the bonus features, then watch another one if I felt like it.
~I was able to spend an hour on the treadmill every day with no interruptions.
~I went anywhere at a moment's notice and could meet my best friend for coffee and shopping whenever I wanted to.
~I had the luxury of sitting down to eat without having to inhale a meal in five minutes or less.
~I bought clothes for myself.
~I had tons more room to walk around in our house when toys weren't all over the place.
~I could listen to loud music, leave a room without someone crying, and take however long I wanted to fix my hair.

11 months ago today:

~I had the worst pain of my life and thought I wouldn't be able to go on.
~I was fearful...because of that pain and because G.I. Joe wasn't there.
~I forgot all the Hypnobirthing techniques I studied.
~I had no strength left to push because I used it all to brace myself through the pain.
~At 2:17 pm I had a beautiful, and impatient, baby girl who couldn't wait to make her grand appearance.
~I had the greatest natural high imaginable from bringing a new life into this world.
~I got chills, the good kind, when I was able to hand Lucy to her Daddy for the first time.
~I was embarrassed about how bad I looked when he finally arrived at the hospital.
~I couldn't control my emotions when he insisted Lucy stay in the nursery so I could sleep.
~I had no desire to sleep...I just wanted to look at her.


Today:

~I sleep on the very edge of our queen sized bed because a cute little monkey likes to sprawl out using up more space than G.I. Joe does.
~When I leave the room I hear "Momma? Momma!" and it melts my heart a bit.
~I get attacked with wet drooling kisses on an hourly basis...make-up is so pointless.
~Our house is nothing more than a giant toy box filled with Princess baubles, about a hundred types of Tinker Bells, and every plastic sea animal known to mankind.
~I have my soul mate home again and he does such an awesome job of taking care of his girls.
~We're that family across from you in the restaurant...you know the one...they all eat in shifts and take turns passing around the baby who is giddy and squealing to let the whole room know she likes playing with those amazing things called "straws."

Today...my life is loud, its chaotic, its full of hugs, kisses, peek-a-boo, purses that carry musical toys and diapers instead of cell phones and lipgloss. Its clothes speckled with mashed carrots and a car littered with sippy cups. I wouldn't trade what we have now for all the sleep and freedom in the world!


In honor of Lucy's 11 month birthday I thought we'd kick off "Lucypalooza" a week early! I had said before that it would be the whole month of September, but we're already in full birthday mode here. I've been planning like a maniac and even teaching Lucy a cute little trick. When I ask her "How many are you?" She right away puts up one finger! Then she claps for herself. Its adorable! I just started doing that with her Tuesday and didn't expect her to pick it up so fast.

I've also been working on the menu for her party. Its an Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter Tea Party so the treats had to be really fun. Here are pictures of a few of them:


Marshmallow Mushrooms


Homemade Vanilla "Oreos" Dipped in Chocolate



Chocolate and White Chocolate Pretzel Sticks


Instead of a big cake I'm doing cupcakes and attempting to make Lucy a personal cake to smash. I'm going to try putting that together in the next couple days just to do a test run. I'm having so much fun with all this!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Aww, my gosh you described what life was like before our little girls so well. And we both know we wouldn't trade the reality of our daily days for anything in the world; becuase no matter how little sleep you get,and all the bruising you recieve from tripping over toys, the reminding yourself to eat because you forgot to due to you insuring those around you had full bellies, it all is worth it when you see that angel's face smiling up at you with a love you would have never understood until she came into your world.

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Aw, I really liked this post. That birthday theme is going to be great!

Ashley said...

Aw this post brought a tear to my eye. :)
Love the goodies! Its gonna be a great party!

Lisa Anne said...

That is a great post! I really enjoyed reading it. Sorry this is so short. I'm just exhausted.

PropellerHeadMom said...

What an awesome post! My birthday is coming up soon and now I think I am going to ask my husband to make me homemade vanilla oreos dipped in chocolate :-) They look delicious!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Aww I'm glad you all enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by, ladies!