Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Skin Free Product Review






I was really excited when I first found out about Skin Free. Its a line of skin care products that was created by pharmacists and tested by doctors. They strive to make the purest soaps, lotions, and so much more for even the most sensitive skin. Lately my skin has been taking a beating between stress and falling asleep with my make-up on because I'm so exhausted after I finally get Lucy to sleep. I've used Pro-Active now for a number of years and have loved their products but the problem is they have to be ordered and shipped to you.

Skin Free has the guarantee of safe ingredients and quality dermatologist testing that Pro-Active has, but they have another convenience factor too: you can purchase their products at Wal-Greens and CVS! How cool is that?

I got to test products for acne prone skin since mine has decided to revolt on me. For the most part I'm very satisfied and would definitely recommend this line to teenagers around finals time and for new moms. The one thing that I was a little disappointed in was the Green Clay Mask for acne prone skin. It was extremely difficult to work with and apply. The clay would dry up and rub off if I didn't work some water into it and get it warm with the heat from my hands. Then once it was on I couldn't leave it on long enough for it to dry half-way because it burnt pretty bad. I went so far as to get G.I. Joe to try it out, and his rugged skin burned under the mask as well.

Despite the mask, I still saw improvements in my skin and I do plan to hit up Wal-Greens and try out some of their other products. Because of their mission and determination to bring people products that only have the most beneficial ingredients out there, Skin Free is a company to take note of. One of the things I love about the company is their blog. They post typical stuff, like reviews of their products and giveaways, but they also post information about changes to their formulas. I know I would much rather a company be upfront and say "Hey, we found out we don't need ingredient X so we're taking it out" instead of hearing on the news that a product was recalled because of high toxicity levels.

Check out Skin Free's website and blog to learn more. They really do have something for everyone.


*
Edit: I also wanted to add that the burning from the mask did not lead to any redness or skin irritation. When G.I. Joe and I both washed off the mask each time we used it our skin was fine. There was a lingering sting but then the skin felt very smooth.

5 comments:

Granny said...

I know you've probably checked, but does this mask have any sulfur product/bi-product in it? Only a small percentage of the population is allergic to sulfur, but it would be worth checking - especially with the burning sensation.

Great review -- even this old Granny will have to try it now!

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

I'm almost positive it doesn't have any sulfur. I kept looking at the ingredients, so did G.I. Joe, because we were sure it had like Tea Tree Oil or Eucalyptus in it. Those two would have explained the burn if there was too much of them in it but it didn't contain either.

Sulfur would have jumped out to me had it been in there. So, its safe. I just think that maybe whatever the acne medication is in it is a little too strong.

Julie from Blue Ridge Gypsy Studio said...

The mask contains Niaouli oil. Its in the same family as Tea Tree. So sorry about the burning! Most folks love the mask. Hope you are ok!
Thx for trying the products. Julie

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Julie, we are fine. The burning didn't cause any redness or irritation afterward. It was just not possible for my husband and me to leave it on. Neither of us have sensitive skin, and we've both used plenty of Tea Tree so I'm really surprised it bothered either of us that bad.

I still look forward to going to Wal-Greens and trying out some other things!

silverhartgirl said...

I am glad yo are fine. It is funny what affect different people.