Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chocolate Covered Homemade Vanilla Oreos




These "Wonderland" treats were just too yummy! I couldn't resist posting the recipe. I hope you all enjoy!

Ingredients:
~Chocolate to melt-you can use any kind of real chocolate, whether milk, dark, white, semi-sweet, whatever. I just would advise against using the "chocolate flavored fudge candy" that you can melt in the microwave. Those products are too thick and make this extremely rich.

~Vanilla Wafers-a generic store brand may be best because I've found they tend to be a little smaller than the brand name wafers.

~Vanilla icing-this can be which ever kind you like, I used a "light whipped" icing and it tasted amazing!

Directions:
1). Put "oreos" together by spreading icing on the flat side of a wafer. Then press the flat side of another wafer to it. Use as much or as little icing as you like, but remember that the heat from the chocolate will melt and flatten the cookie sandwich some.

2). Melt chocolate on a double boiler, stirring often. If you don't have a double boiler you can easily make one by placing a pot of boiling water on the stove and putting another pot with the chocolate on top.

3). When the chocolate is melted use a spoon to dunk each of your "oreos" in it until the whole thing is covered.

4). Let the chocolate set for a few seconds, drip then place on a sheet of wax paper or a cookie sheet to set up.

5). These taste best when they've had about 12 hours to set up. To speed this process so the icing hardens again quickly, place the finished "oreos" in the fridge.

After a little while the chocolate causes the vanilla wafers to soften slightly. This makes a most delicious, and mouthwatering, treat!


12 comments:

Life Happens During Naptime said...

Yummy!!! I love vanilla wafers, they are so tasty. I will have to try these out sometime! Thanks for the recipe.

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh. I need to be done with Weight Watchers like ASAP so I make these!

Wild Orchid Designs said...

wow..these look scrumptious, I'd like to try this out at home. Thanks for sharing:)Happy Thursday:)

Lisa Anne said...

OMG so good. I have to try this. I have a chocolate warmer thing that melts chocolate to avoid the mess and horror of a double broiler.

Theta Mom said...

OMG! These look AMAZING!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

YUM! I probably shouldn't have read this post at this time of day (3:00 p.m.) Now I've gotta go see if I have some chocolate around here somewhere!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I've seen made these before! I'll have to give them a try at making them!

Annie said...

Oh yummy!!

I am on a diet or I would totally go to the store and make these - wow!

JenandJeff said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!!! I am so excited for marriage...but nervous for the fact he is joining Army National Guard in January...YIKES! It'll all be great though. we can do it!

Thanks for the great comment.
ummmm p.s- your daughter is beautiful!!!

Clueless_Mama said...

Okay I think I am making these tomorrow! They look like something I would LOVE! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Clueless_Mama said...

Husband is on his way to the store for supplies! Can't wait to eat these.

yonca said...

Yummy!!Looks delicious..I'm following you now :-)