I love this recipe for lettuce wraps! We had it a few nights ago and I'm already craving them again. This dish is excellent because its filling with all its protein and also has like zero carbs. Its a favorite around here for its simplicity too.
Here's what you'll need for restaurant quality wraps:
1 head of Ice Burg Lettuce
2 packages of ground chicken
1 small bag of matchstick carrots
1 bag of Angel Hair Cabbage (or if you want you can just buy a head of cabbage and shred it into fine strips)
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Olive Oil Spray
Other vegetables that you may want to include: diced tomatoes, diced peppers, green onions, and bean sprouts.
All this will make enough food for four people to have as a main dish or six to have for a "starter" or side dish.
1) Spray olive oil into a large wok or saute pan, after it warms up place in both containers of ground chicken.
2) Cook the chicken until all the pink is gone. While cooking periodically add small amounts of soy sauce.
3) Once the chicken is completely brown drain the grease in a strainer.
4) Before putting the chicken back in the pan, saute the carrots for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the chicken, and other vegetables to the carrots and saute for a little while longer.
~If you want your vegetables to have more of a fresh, cool crunch then don't leave the mixture on the stove as long.
~To keep the chicken from getting burnt or dried out periodically spray the mixture with the olive oil. Adding small amounts of soy sauce is fine, but adding olive oil too will help keep the meal low in sodium.
6) After the chicken and vegetables are cooked to your preference, cut the end off the head of lettuce. Simply pull the leaves apart to use as bowls, or wraps for the mixture.
To take this up a notch you can also saute salad shrimp and chop it into little pieces to add in with the chicken and vegetables.
That's all you have to do to get a classic Asian bistro dish on your table tomorrow evening!