Thursday, July 16, 2009

Three Minutes At Don Pepe's

Today G.I. Joe and I did something I hadn't done since I was pregnant. We went out for Mexican food. I cannot really put into words how much I love foreign food. Fajitas at Don Pepe's are to me what roasted turkey is to most of America. I just love the flavors and the fact that I can have lean steak, green peppers, tomatoes and avocados all rolled up into a light warm tortilla. Its making my mouth water just typing this.

Last summer even when he was away my parents used to take me to Don Pepe's a lot. By a lot, I mean at least once or twice a week. I craved it everyday, but lets face it...that just wouldn't have been a good idea :)

Going in there again today brought back a flood of memories. I munched on chips and guacamole, sipped my orange soda and looked at the love of my life. The last time I sat at one of those tables my soldier was gone. I was probably only 36 or 37 weeks pregnant at that point. Mom and Dad knew what was going on when I'd pick up my cell phone and check the time. I was monitoring contractions. Still a few weeks or more away from my due date but ever since we got in the car that afternoon my contractions had been 3 minutes apart. Today the clinking of a Mexican guitar floated through my ears and I was sad at first but then thankful. It seemed like I was just there a month ago watching my belly tighten every three minutes. But its been almost a year. G.I. Joe is home and Lucy is growing much faster and stronger than we ever imagined. To sit there and think of how far we've come since last summer reminded me of how faithful God is and that He has always answered every single one of our prayers.

Mmmm...I love Mexican food.

2 comments:

Jacylann Nix said...

ohhh i love mexican food but i hated it while prego..it made me sick!

Madison said...

I had a similar pregnancy-flashback moment on the fourth of july. I was watching the fireworks and remembering doing the same last year and feeling Moose jumping around like a kangaroo in my belly at the loud cracks and booms of the show. It made me a little sad and nostalgic, but overall it was a sweet feeling. Thanks for sharing this, J =)